Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Optimo's Dillinger not as advertised?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mulceber

Practically Family
I've just been looking at The Dillinger that's advertised on Optimo's site and it doesn't seem to bear that much resemblance to the movie hat. I mean, I know that oxblood is the right color - and I've seen enough outdoor shots to become convinced of that, I think the ribbon's the right color and it has the pseudo-cavanagh-edge from the movie, but the similarity seems to end there:

2008-12-01-public_enemies1.jpg
001h.jpg

Graham's ribbon is definitely too narrow. If I had to guess, the hero hat's ribbon is about 2" whereas Graham's is 1.5" or less. Also, the ribbon on the hero hat seems to reflect light less than Graham's model. Graham's crown appears to be shorter and more tapered (one of the few things I've never really liked about Optimo) and the bash/crease is less interesting than that of the hero hat. Basically Graham's hat looks like somebody took the hero hat off of Depp's head and reblocked and restyled it to look like a hat from the 50's. I know there are people here who like 50's hats, and I can appreciate the style, even if it isn't mine, but what's presented on the site definitely doesn't look like the Public Enemies hat to me. Anybody else share my feeling on this? -M

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Yes this particular hat is not a match in crown and crease, its what might be perceived as a more "popular" style(to many).
If you wanted it to look just like the one in the movie specifically you could have it made that way(if the felt is still available). They are custom hats-have it any way you like.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree. The two hats are not the same. I recently purchased this hat from Optimo.

IMG_0075.jpg

It certainly does not have the look of the Public Enemies hat, though I didn't intend for it to. It does have the same color scheme, but definitely not the '30's look of the movie hat.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I think you are right about the ribbon and probably correct in your observations about the crown proportions. As far as the crease, that can be adjusted in a variety of ways by anyone who purchases the hat. It does appear that in order to really offer a hat which matches the movie fedora, they would have had to use more felt and grosgrain than you can see in the second photo.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
The photos on the site are merely examples-a place to begin the process of choosing your hat or to reference the color or crown or brim choice. The ribbon and crown height, brim width, etc. can be whatever combination and the price does not change. The movie prop people probably also worked the hat over as well after receiving the particular models from Optimo(aging,crease etc.) in addition to the dimensions of the crown and ribbon differing.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
BobC said:
I agree. It certainly does not have the look of the Public Enemies hat, though I didn't intend for it to. It does have the same color scheme, but definitely not the '30's look of the movie hat.

Could I ask, Bob, how does Optimo recommend a particular hat style/block when you are there in person - is something recommended, or do they leave it to the client? Just wondering, as I`ve never visited the shop obviously...

BobC

daizawaguy said:
Could I ask, Bob, how does Optimo recommend a particular hat style/block when you are there in person - is something recommended, or do they leave it to the client? Just wondering, as I`ve never visited the shop obviously...

During my visit, Kevin, the gentleman I spoke with, was most gracious to offer any hat I wanted to try. He even opened a boxed hat that had been made for a client for me to see and try. He also offered his opinion as to which hats looked best on me taking into consideration my dress and skin color. In the end after seeing and trying 15 or 20 examples, my choices prevailed. Time and again after trying other hats, I kept coming back to the oxblood color scheme of the Public Enemy hat but in a block and style more like the '50's than the '30's with a 9 ligne brim binding that appeals to me so much.

For me, part of the appeal of custom hats is to preserve and enjoy the work of the artist. I have customs from Art Fawcett, Major Moore, TonyB and now Optimo. Each hat maker has a style and look that is distinctly his own.

Mulceber

Practically Family
@ RLK - yeah, I suppose you're right - I just hope that if I ordered the public enemies hat, Graham would know that I meant an ACTUAL replica - although I suppose I could clarify.

@ Matt - I agree with you on almost every point. I think Optimo's collection of blocks is, on the whole, very tapered. When I bought mine (second-hand) I was disappointed in this, and so, when I had to have it reblocked, I sent it to Art instead. I'm VERY satisfied with the results.

As for AB/Penman, I think the oddness of the blocks you perceive is partially due to the fact that the Raiders hat had a very quirky block, and partially due to the shape of Harrison Ford's head: Harrison Ford is a long oval and, iirc, the Raiders hat was a regular oval. Most people are regular ovals, so I imagine that, in order to get the fedora to look on most people like it did on Ford, they've made the block a bit rounder to achieve the same effect. As a result, while I think that Adventurebilt and Penman do the Indy fedora better than anybody out there, bar none, if I'm looking for something non-Indy, I tend to go elsewhere. This isn't a criticism of them, just a recognition that they have a very particular specialty. With regard to the "patchy" pouncing, that's probably because they do it by hand, as opposed to people like Art, Graham, etc. who do it by machine. Perhaps it doesn't do as thorough a job, but I can't deny there's a certain appeal to having your hat finished by hand. [huh]

I also think you're dead on in your analysis of what would make the "real" PE hat.

@ Kabuto - Penman's blocks are new ones like AB, although I think calling them new doesn't quite do them justice, as they are after all copying VERY old hat blocks.

@ BobC - thanks for the description of the way Optimo helps you choose a hat - it was very illuminating and it's nice to see that process of salesmanship continuing even now. -M

Bruce Wayne

when i picked up my Optimo Oxblood Dillenger a few weeks ago I was informed by Graham that what you see on his website is indeed what he sent for the movie. Once the hat was on set, they (the producers or costume personal I assume) tightened the pinch in the front quite a bit. I have done the same with my hat once i got it home. If anyone wants pics, I can post them later today.
thanx!!!
Charlie

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
bruce wayne said:
when i picked up my Optimo Oxblood Dillenger a few weeks ago I was informed by Graham that what you see on his website is indeed what he sent for the movie. Once the hat was on set, they (the producers or costume personal I assume) tightened the pinch in the front quite a bit. I have done the same with my hat once i got it home. If anyone wants pics, I can post them later today.
thanx!!!
Charlie

But it's really not the same hat.
It has quite noticably different proportions.
Pinching the crown won't take the taper away,
or widen the brim, or ribbon any.

B
T

High Pockets

Practically Family
bruce wayne said:
thanx!!!
Charlie

Please do,......I'd love to see what it look like!

Mulceber

Practically Family
BellyTank said:
But it's really not the same hat.
It has quite noticably different proportions.
Pinching the crown won't take the taper away,
or widen the brim, or ribbon any.

B
T

I agree. Maybe tightening the pinch will make it better, but it's hard to imagine it getting rid of the taper and it's just plain impossible for it to make the ribbon wider by half an inch. Still though, I'd be interested in seeing your hat, Bruce. -M

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
PADDY said:
So, 'this' could be a hat that with some tweaking I could customise into a Dillinger?

http://geeksofdoom.com/GoD/img/2008/12/2008-12-01-
[IMG]http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc260/ROSSANDHARRY/WALTER%20BARNARD/WALTARHAT005.jpg

It might not be quite as straight as a '30s hat, but it certainly has the feel, especially with the center-dent. Also, as others have hinted, the '50s look is
probably more sellable than a true '30s taper, and given the small fedora market, that has to be considered.

Mulceber

Practically Family
High Pockets said:
Looks pretty close to me, assuming of course that Johnny Depp wears a small hat and it's been tweaked by wardrobe.:)

1003047t.jpg

2008-12-01-public_enemies1.jpg

Not really. It's better, but the ribbon is still too narrow, the brim is too wide and the crown too tapered. It is a very nice hat though. -M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto