Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Options to fill "the gap"

johng70

New in Town
So, I have 3 fedoras currently:
Optimo Lasalle in Blue Pearl
Optimo Chicago in Aubergine (my favorite hat)
Stetson Downs in black

So, the Optimos are fantastic, but pricey. I'd love to get some additional colors but was hoping to find something in-between - maybe in the $400 price range. I really love that Optimo has more than just standard black/brown/grey. Any suggestions for where else to look in that $400 range where I could find variety of color/style staying in similar styles to above - so not interested in Trilbys, porkpies, homburgs etc - I just don't look good in them. Any advice or direction would be great.
Thanks!

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Stetson Downs in black

So, the Optimos are fantastic, but pricey. I'd love to get some additional colors but was hoping to find something in-between - maybe in the $400 price range. I really love that Optimo has more than just standard black/brown/grey. Any suggestions for where else to look in that $400 range where I could find variety of color/style staying in similar styles to above - so not interested in Trilbys, porkpies, homburgs etc - I just don't look good in them. Any advice or direction would be great.
Thanks!

Any number of custom hatters will fit the bill. Most are limited to the color selections offered by Winchester. Some folks have access to FEPSA felts - whom supplies Optimo - and a wider array of colors.

Off the top of my head and in no particular order, some hatters to check out: Gannon, Phoenix Hats/@humanshoes, Alley Kat Hats, Northwest Hats, Wellema Hat Co, HatWrks Nashville, Brass Rooster, Tatton Baird.

I'm sure I've omitted someone....my personal favorite is Black Sheep Hatworks, but his queue is looooooooong.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
+1
Yes, there are many custom hatters who can do the job.

Any number of custom hatters will fit the bill. Most are limited to the color selections offered by Winchester. Some folks have access to FEPSA felts - whom supplies Optimo - and a wider array of colors.

Off the top of my head and in no particular order, some hatters to check out: Gannon, Phoenix Hats/@humanshoes, Alley Kat Hats, Northwest Hats, Wellema Hat Co, HatWrks Nashville, Brass Rooster, Tatton Baird.

I'm sure I've omitted someone....my personal favorite is Black Sheep Hatworks, but his queue is looooooooong.

Tonio

A-List Customer
Stetson Downs in black

Thanks!

I believe Hornskov was using FEPSA felt. Haven’t tried them, but I think worth checking out: https://www.hornskovkobenhavn.com/

johng70

New in Town
Thanks for the VS recommendation. I started looking, liking and then ran across the VS thread where he said 8/31 was the cutoff for ordering. I've got a message out to Mike at Northwest Hats and we'll see hot that goes. I appreciate everyone's help

Thanks for the VS recommendation. I started looking, liking and then ran across the VS thread where he said 8/31 was the cutoff for ordering. I've got a message out to Mike at Northwest Hats and we'll see hot that goes. I appreciate everyone's help

You might give Art a call. I’m not sure if the retirement is on schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am a big fan of Mike at NW Hats. When I was last in to his shop he related the story of a local doctor that would travel to Chicago every year and order a new Optimo. The doctor has since discovered Mike and now orders his yearly new hat from NW Hats. I have 8 of Mike's and they are all stellar. I have hats from all the others mentioned except the two Scandinavian hatters and can attest that all their product deserves space in my closet.

Héctor Fernández

One Too Many
I think he was left off due to pending retirement, but I think he could still be taking orders. In any case, Art Fawcett’s Vintage Silhouette (VS) Custom Hats deserves a look.
https://vscustomhats.com

I also like Tumwater, although, I haven’t ordered one for myself yet. “Yet.” :)

http://tumwaterhat.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Those Tumwater's are very nice.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

johng70

New in Town
So, got my hat from Mike today. It looks great IMO. It will get some use in tomorrow!
i-mLDd7xj-M.jpg

i-dcNb79L-M.jpg

i-zq93cnh-M.jpg

i-fZZ97zb-M.jpg

i-5SwNdM3-M.jpg

i-TqmJJkW-M.jpg

I have multiple hats from Northwest Hats, Phoenix, M Gannon (and about 6 others) and can attest they make great hats all for under the $400 range. I also love BlackSheep's work as well as Leon Drexler out of Toronto but both have wait lists over 12 months. I have one in the queue at BlackSheep and he is at the $400 mark while Drexler is at about the $500 mark.

My review is that all of the hatters listed above make great hats. There is only so much you can do with a beaver felt and all the above use Winchester beaver felt. BlackSheep and Drexler I think pay a bit closer attention to detail (vintage fabric liners, vintage silk ribbon etc) and that is what sets them apart slightly. But if you placed the hats side by side by side I don't think you could discern the difference unless you very closely inspected and then you would be hard pressed to point them out.
I know Mike at Northwest and Rick at Phoenix are very good at replicating your vision. Give them a picture and they can recreate your hat, at least in my experience.

johng70

New in Town
Thanks everyone. I'll report back in a month or so to compare Mike's hat to the Optimos I have. I will say, I'd love to find a place to get boxes like the ones for my Optimo hats directly. Mike's hat came in a serviceable box but the Optimo boxes are fantastic (and as my collection seems to be growing, the boxes are going to be important). I've had no luck finding them though. Vintage here and there and other cheap cardboard that does the bare minimum but I'm really looking for a place I can get the build quality of the Optimo (and Wellema whose boxes from the web photos look very similar to Optimos).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui