Options to fill "the gap"

Discussion in 'Hats' started by johng70, Nov 13, 2019.

1. johng70

johng70 New in Town

So, I have 3 fedoras currently:
    Optimo Lasalle in Blue Pearl
    Optimo Chicago in Aubergine (my favorite hat)
    Stetson Downs in black

So, the Optimos are fantastic, but pricey. I'd love to get some additional colors but was hoping to find something in-between - maybe in the $400 price range. I really love that Optimo has more than just standard black/brown/grey. Any suggestions for where else to look in that $400 range where I could find variety of color/style staying in similar styles to above - so not interested in Trilbys, porkpies, homburgs etc - I just don't look good in them. Any advice or direction would be great.
    Thanks!

2. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

Any number of custom hatters will fit the bill. Most are limited to the color selections offered by Winchester. Some folks have access to FEPSA felts - whom supplies Optimo - and a wider array of colors.

Off the top of my head and in no particular order, some hatters to check out: Gannon, Phoenix Hats/@humanshoes, Alley Kat Hats, Northwest Hats, Wellema Hat Co, HatWrks Nashville, Brass Rooster, Tatton Baird.

I'm sure I've omitted someone....my personal favorite is Black Sheep Hatworks, but his queue is looooooooong.

M Hatman, Zombie_61, hatsRme and 2 others like this.
  3. Rmccamey

Rmccamey One Too Many

+1
    Yes, there are many custom hatters who can do the job.

M Hatman and deadlyhandsome like this.
  4. Tonio

Tonio A-List Customer

I believe Hornskov was using FEPSA felt. Haven’t tried them, but I think worth checking out: https://www.hornskovkobenhavn.com/

M Hatman and deadlyhandsome like this.
  5. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

Yup, that's one I definitely forgot! I also really like the work Mikael at Hufvud is doing. Two more!

6. johng70

johng70 New in Town

Thanks everyone. That's what I was hoping for - some options. I'll check them out!

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  7. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

I think he was left off due to pending retirement, but I think he could still be taking orders. In any case, Art Fawcett’s Vintage Silhouette (VS) Custom Hats deserves a look.
    https://vscustomhats.com

I also like Tumwater, although, I haven’t ordered one for myself yet. “Yet.” :)

http://tumwaterhat.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Héctor Fernández and jlee562 like this.
  8. johng70

johng70 New in Town

Thanks for the VS recommendation. I started looking, liking and then ran across the VS thread where he said 8/31 was the cutoff for ordering. I've got a message out to Mike at Northwest Hats and we'll see hot that goes. I appreciate everyone's help

9. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

You might give Art a call. I’m not sure if the retirement is on schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10. belfastboy

belfastboy My Mail is Forwarded Here

I am a big fan of Mike at NW Hats. When I was last in to his shop he related the story of a local doctor that would travel to Chicago every year and order a new Optimo. The doctor has since discovered Mike and now orders his yearly new hat from NW Hats. I have 8 of Mike's and they are all stellar. I have hats from all the others mentioned except the two Scandinavian hatters and can attest that all their product deserves space in my closet.

11. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

12. johng70

johng70 New in Town

Mike and I have traded a couple emails and I'm moving forward with having him make me a hat. Should be about 3 months. I'll report back when I get the hat!

Héctor Fernández and Rmccamey like this.
  13. Héctor Fernández

Héctor Fernández One of the Regulars

Those Tumwater's are very nice.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk