Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Origin of the "Rope Shoulder"

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I was thinking about Rope/d Shoulder/s, perusing the BT jumble archive and came up with a possible origin for this Tailoring feature.
Whether this is before or after the fact, or totally unrelated, I don't know.

But.

I know for a fact, that actual rope was sometimes sewn into the shoulder of some military jackets, for the practical purpose of stopping equipment straps from sliding off the shoulder.

I can't find a very early instance of this but here is an example from a WW2 vintage, Italian army pullover Jacket/Parka:

48040812_o.jpg

There is a small length of actual rope sewn into the edge of the shoulder.
Did the "Fashion" of the "Rope Shoulder" spring from actual practical origins..?

Comments... more information...?

B
T

Feraud

Bartender
ShoreRoadLady said:
I've never heard of the term, but I could sure use a feature like that to keep my purse from sliding off! Very ingenious.
See here for examples and discussion of roped shoulder on suits.
Note Tomasso and Marc Chevalier's comments..

alternatest91.jpg

okisaka.jpg

Rittmeister

Familiar Face
Here is an illustration of a rope shoulder suit from 1937. My tailor confirms that an actual piece of rope is sewn into the should to create the look.
Catalog0006.jpg

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I just always loved the look. Most everything is military inspired, sometimes functional sometimes just decoration. Epaulets with shoulder boards are an extra layer to keep a blade from cutting through. Double breasted overcoats made a better closure to keep the elements from coming in. I think the rope was just a construction detail to enhance the look of the wearer's form. Not really a functional feature, but a flourish.

I like the look because it gives a bit of an attached arm effect which neapolitan or the more rounded shoulder don't carry. It ads to the man's build. The rope look did takeover after the 20's.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I'm personally thinking it's a case of "Fashion steals from Practicality" but I don't have the proof- I'd like to see or hear about some other, particularly pre-'30s "non-fashion" examples that support my theory.

The Epaulette? I've never heard of it as a protective feature before.
I know it as a rank device, a place to put a rank device and for the purpose of securing a shoulder strap/equipment strap and keep it on the shoulder.

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112