Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Original Buco J-100 . . .what's it worth?

gzmavian

New in Town
Buco 036.JPG
Buco 036.JPG
Buco 035.JPG
Buco 036.JPG
Buco 035.JPG
Buco 037.JPG
Hello all. So what is an original Buco J-100 worth today? The label stating 'Southfield, Michigan', from the '60's. Just wondering . . .

Last edited:
Hello all. So what is an original Buco J-100 worth today? The label stating 'Southfield, Michigan', from the '60's. Just wondering . . .
Whatever the buyer is willing to pay! So much depends on condition, size, hide. They routinely sell for far more than I would value them but there is no price tag increments for mystique.

That looks very nice. Maybe the better question is what did you pay for it? In all reality you can probably sell it for anywhere between $500-1K. Maybe more but certainly no less than that. If you wish to sell it you will and depending what you forked over for it you will likely make some degree of $$.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In all reality you can probably sell it for anywhere between $500-1K.

Buco J-100s in good condition sell for well north of $1,000. Larger sizes are rarer and more expensive.

Albeit admittedly on the high end, RRL regularly sells Buco J-100s for $3,500-$3,750 (and they will not negotiate the price).

Of course, the condition is paramount. Torn-up Bucos are less expensive.

I've had one for sale @ $500 for a long time, and it hasn't sold although there's plenty of watchers and occasionally someone will message me with questions. It's not a 60s vintage like yours, but a (likely) 70s vintage from when they were made by MKS.

From a pricing/collector's standpoint, MKS made Bucos bear little resemblance to earlier vintage Bucos. Many view MKS jackets tantamount to a different brand/manufacturer.

gzmavian

New in Town
That looks very nice. Maybe the better question is what did you pay for it? In all reality you can probably sell it for anywhere between $500-1K. Maybe more but certainly no less than that. If you wish to sell it you will and depending what you forked over for it you will likely make some degree of $$.
. . . thanks for the info

Buco J-100s in good condition sell for well north of $1,000. Larger sizes are rarer and more expensive.

Albeit admittedly on the high end, RRL regularly sells Buco J-100s for $3,500-$3,750 (and they will not negotiate the price).

Of course, the condition is paramount. Torn-up Bucos are less expensive.

From a pricing/collector's standpoint, MKS made Bucos bear little resemblance to earlier vintage Bucos. Many view MKS jackets tantamount to a different brand/manufacturer.
It’s not surprising that Ralph would price the jacket that way at a retail brick and mortar store. I do not believe the jackets reach anywhere near those figures on auction sites. Perhaps they do in Japan, tbh I don’t know but I made my assertion based on a completed listing eBay search.
And you are absolutely right about MKS jackets, they were outsourced and produced in the UK and Spain and at that point the Buco name was all that was left (when Buco was purchased by American Safety)... They bear no resemblance to the original j-100 whatsoever. But it does show what’s in a name. Guppy has 33 watchers on that jacket.

. . . thanks for the info
They do seem to be increasingly rare. I’m thinking back to maybe 15-20 years ago they’d pop up on eBay much more frequently. I would say if your going to sell it, set your price mentally, double it and accept an offer that exceeds your expectations.

What the others have said. You can easily get $1500 on eBay for one in a decent condition, more if it's mint, more if you're in Colombia. It's not unheard of for a J100 to reach close to $2K. Nowadays, they go for more than the J24's, probably 'cause every hollywood male star seems to have been photographed wearing one.

God knows why they're valued so high, though. They're not particularly high quality and even less of a rarity of any kind.

Mich486

One Too Many
As a total noob when it comes to vintage leather jackets, what makes a 60’s Buco more desirable from a collector perspective than a 60’s Brooks? Bucos being relatively rarer or something else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a total noob when it comes to vintage leather jackets, what makes a 60’s Buco more desirable from a collector perspective than a 60’s Brooks? Bucos being relatively rarer or something else?

Buco is the original Detroit made leather jacket. Brooks and Reed are derivatives and were founded by former Buco employees. The more interesting question to me is how Kehoe (whose pattern is most similar to the j-100) fits into the equation. The very, very early Brooks were nearly identical to the j-100. One piece back, single snap collar but zips at the sleeve moved to the inside. I had one.
Same with Reed and they were even using HH and directly copied the j-100. Ive only ever seen one of those.

I think Buco just caught more mystique. If you look at vintage CR’s of the era objectively, I find the Cal and Bates contemporaries to be much nicer jackets but they are under valued. Which is a good thing for buyers.

There's fewer of them, yeah, though it's nowhere near as rarely seen as a much superior Cal cafe racer or even Reed, Bates, etc.
As to why they're so desirable... I have no idea. It's as if someone made a social experiment to see if it would fly and it did. I find it difficult to believe and accept it's just all Tanaka's book but...

gzmavian

New in Town
I was at RRL as few years ago. Wonderful inventory! However, you'd have to sell a kidney to purchase anything. Their customers are rock stars and foreign visitors that 'need it now'. It's a whole different universe of customers.

gzmavian

New in Town
There's fewer of them, yeah, though it's nowhere near as rarely seen as a much superior Cal cafe racer or even Reed, Bates, etc.
As to why they're so desirable... I have no idea. It's as if someone made a social experiment to see if it would fly and it did. I find it difficult to believe and accept it's just all Tanaka's book but...
I've got a Harley Davidson Sportser white label cafe, '60's Bates flat track slanted pocket cafe, and the original Buco J-100. They are all unique with fit, construction, quality, and most importantly the LOOK. I must say the leather on the Buco is superior to the others. The mystique and lack of availability is what drives the chase and price as we already know.

The thing is, they're mail order, OTR jackets and frankly, I don't see why and how'd they hold greater value over unique pieces like Cal, etc., all bespoke. I've had two Cal CR's, still have one and it's the nicest jacket in that style I've ever seen. Pretty much gave up buying cafe racers 'cause I know I won't find a better one.

Mich486

One Too Many
Buco is the original Detroit made leather jacket. Brooks and Reed are derivatives and were founded by former Buco employees. The more interesting question to me is how Kehoe (whose pattern is most similar to the j-100) fits into the equation. The very, very early Brooks were nearly identical to the j-100. One piece back, single snap collar but zips at the sleeve moved to the inside. I had one.
Same with Reed and they were even using HH and directly copied the j-100. Ive only ever seen one of those.

I think Buco just caught more mystique. If you look at vintage CR’s of the era objectively, I find the Cal and Bates contemporaries to be much nicer jackets but they are under valued. Which is a good thing for buyers.

Thanks ton. That’s interesting to know.

The former employees bit is also reminiscent of some much more recent drama :D

Mich486

One Too Many

And the likes of the real McCoy’s and co making Buco repros probably pushed their market value even more....

And the likes of the real McCoy’s and co making Buco repros probably pushed their market value even more....

Yep, especially that. If the repro costs two grands, imagine how much the original is worth. But yeah, it's worth whatever you're willing to pay for it. It is a beautiful, beautiful jacket, no debate there. Both the D-pocket and the CR are. I'm still often shocked by how beautiful the J-24 whenever someone posts a photo of it, even tho I've seen it a million times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk