Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Original L.W. Foster 7823(AER)

Sobrien

New in Town
Hello, am a newbie here. I come by my love of USN leather jackets by birth. My dad was a USN fighter and ASW pilot after WW2. He continued wearing his G-1 until he put on some weight. I wore it back in junior high but quickly out grew it. With his passing last year I received most of his aviation related belongings, including his log books and his G-1. I thought I might share some pics. It is his second jacket. The first he received in 1945 while in flight training. He had it until sometime in the mid 50's when it was stolen and he was issued the Foster.

I have a few questions.
Anyway to find out what year it was made?
And, is there any one who could make copies of the squadron patches?

Sean

Here's a picture of him when he qualified for his wings of gold in August,1946.

and here's a picture of him in 1952 while Exec of VS-22 with the Philip Morris midget: I've always wondered who the maker was. Any guesses?

So the Foster was issued after that. It has USA stamped on the back of the color, and the left pocket is noticeably bigger than the right. Before I new better, about 20 years ago I had a new zipper and the knits replaced so my dad could wear it to his ANA meetings. It is here modeled by my son, it no longer fits me.

VS-22

VF-6B/ VF-62

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I had a G-1 issued to me while I was in the US Navy that was also stolen a few months after I was separated from active duty service. Great pics of your son who wears the G-1 well! One of the Lounge members a2jacketpatches might be able to help you with copies of the squadron patches. He is more active on the VLJ forum than this one. Great story and thanks for sharing.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Nice Jacket. O brian, Those patches are totally Incredible!!!

Its a blondie, I had one of those and they are Absolutely choice.

Amazing Jackets with that kind of provenance dont come up too often on the market without a heavy price tag.

Stand By

One Too Many
Welcome to the Lounge Sobrien, and that's one beautiful heirloom you have there!

Getting an embroidered patch around here would be a mite tricky, but there are a few members here who specialize in painted military patches on leather and are very good about it too, but I see that your VS-22 patch is a combination of embroidered cotton twill and silk.
Here's a repro embroidered VS-22 patch:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/VS-22-SEA-CO...ATES-VIDARS-/281467154277?hash=item4188bfef65

The patch doesn't seem to be of the same quality of your vintage patch though (no twill), but it is cloth material and it depends how fussy you are about finesse and detail. Of course, it still leaves you with the problem of matching the shoulder patches in the same material (for authentic continuity) …
In that case, you might like to consider this thread in the WW2 section, posted by another Flounger who was wanting a tribute jacket for his relative and I offered some advice on it - and he got a great result from TFL member Siggy who painted some patches for him, and you can see his work - and a happy customer.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/ww-ii-8th-af-tribute-jacket-looking-for-some-guidance.85006/

All I can say is, take your time and do as much research as you can before you fully decide on anything. There's a wealth of militaria companies out there online and, with enough patience and trawling on the web, you may well find what you're after (a trio of vintage original embroidered patches would be ideal in my mind - and I can suggest a few companies to approach and you can ask them about what you're after and if they've ever seen them and what their price range might be - as they may turn out to be affordable - or turn out to be cost-prohibitive to you, they would know and be the ones to ask) - and if not, either Siggy or A2jacketpatches know their kung-fu when it comes to hand-painted USN patches - and are definitely affordable!

Last edited:

Sobrien

New in Town
Thanks Stand By, I ordered the VS-22 patch. only $11.99. Got the last one. My dad had a couple of originals of each patch but they were lost somewhere during a move 30 years ago. I have looked for ones forever. Thank you. I want embroidered patches, so painted leather wont do.

SteveZ

One of the Regulars
Wow. This is about the same time my dad was in training. NAS MEMPHIS flying the SNJ ( TEXAN )

Your jacket is in far better shape than my dads issue G1 by Foster. However, the patches on my pops jacket are extremely scarce. IE; ATU TEN @ NAS CORPUS CHRISTE TX circa 1947 , VP-MS NINE @ NAS NORFOLK circa 1948 and the squadron was re designated VP-FORTY NINE in 1949 with a rare first run patch.

Dads jacket has both of these on the coat also and the site administrator for the VP NAVY web site says they are real scarce since the patches had but a handful of them made. He had never seen a real VP-MS 9 patch before. Only a sketch in the old NAVY squadron archives.

However, Ive approached a couple of rare military patch collectors to see if I can sell the entire jacket intact. Too risky to try to remove these 70 year old patches. See what kind of offer I get. Not even reproductions available to date.

Sobrien

New in Town
Got any pics of your dad's jacket? My dad was issued the Foster sometime in the mid 50's. He received his wings in 46. He joined VBF-17 in early 47 after fighter school. Within a week it became VF-6B, and before he left it was VF-62. I would never sell the jacket, I have brothers and sons that would kill me if I did.

Stand By

One Too Many
Thanks Stand By, I ordered the VS-22 patch. only $11.99. Got the last one. My dad had a couple of originals of each patch but they were lost somewhere during a move 30 years ago. I have looked for ones forever. Thank you. I want embroidered patches, so painted leather wont do.

I'm glad you got the patch - at that price, it could be useful for reference if nothing else.
I've been hunting my usual militaria sites and can't see the patches you're after … So I'd contact this company: http://6thjune1944.com
They make incredible quality patches at fair prices and I have one of their wool ones by Andrew Butler (seen on the link I included on the other thread) on my Aero C-3 - and if memory serves me correctly, I believe their patches for sale used to say that if you were interested in a patch being made, you should contact them … can't hurt to give them a ping and ask.

Tommy-VF51

A-List Customer
Hello, am a newbie here. I come by my love of USN leather jackets by birth. My dad was a USN fighter and ASW pilot after WW2. He continued wearing his G-1 until he put on some weight. I wore it back in junior high but quickly out grew it. With his passing last year I received most of his aviation related belongings, including his log books and his G-1. I thought I might share some pics. It is his second jacket. The first he received in 1945 while in flight training. He had it until sometime in the mid 50's when it was stolen and he was issued the Foster.

I have a few questions.
Anyway to find out what year it was made?
And, is there any one who could make copies of the squadron patches?

Sean

Here's a picture of him when he qualified for his wings of gold in August,1946.

and here's a picture of him in 1952 while Exec of VS-22 with the Philip Morris midget: I've always wondered who the maker was. Any guesses?

So the Foster was issued after that. It has USA stamped on the back of the color, and the left pocket is noticeably bigger than the right. Before I new better, about 20 years ago I had a new zipper and the knits replaced so my dad could wear it to his ANA meetings. It is here modeled by my son, it no longer fits me.

VS-22

VF-6B/ VF-62

What a great piece of History!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff