Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Original WWII flight gloves

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Not sure if this comes under the Original Irvin thread or not, but one of my colleagues kindly brought in his father's old WWII flight gloves for me to have a look (and try on).
Given the back story to them, it's amazing they're still in one piece, but even after all these years, the fleece lining and stitching is in remarkable condition, and with a bit of a repairing and renovation, they'd make be good to go. Pics first, then a bit of background:

The final pic shows an interesting feature: each glove has a small pocket with a snapable closure built into the interior.
These belonged to Duncan Miller, from Newtonmore in the Scottish Highlands, who passed away sadly earlier this year at the age of 89.
He had joined Bomber Command as a 19-year-old, with the hope of being pilot but remustered and trained as a bomb aimer.
He served in both 77 Squadron and 35 Squadron and flew on about 21 missions before being blown out of the sky in August, 1943.
Here's his recollection of that incident: "We were on 35 Squadron Pathfinder. We didn't drop bombs but we dropped target indicators, which were flares.
"The night we were shot down was over Berlin. We were attacked by a German night-fighter and set on fire. Three members of the crew got out and three were killed. I was the last to get out.
"I'm not trying to be over- dramatic, but the plane was going down in flames and at 12,000ft the target indicators we were carrying exploded and I was blown out of the aircraft. I can't explain how I got out. I was unconscious and woke four or five hours later in a field outside Berlin with my parachute strewn out behind me."
According to his son, the airman's Irvin remains buried somewhere out on the outskirts of Berlin somewhere!
Mr Miller, who was badly injured, became a prisoner of war but was repatriated to Britain in the summer of 1944.

Last edited:

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
I would frame those up and have them on my wall to cherish for the rest of my life!!! no, seriously!!!

thats one rough story!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Many thanks for that Sloan, I really love this sort of stuff. It's always so much more special when you can tie these items to a particular airman and his experiences. Nice one :eusa_clap

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Cheers, Smithy, and you're absolutely right: the gloves are great, but the story is adds so much more. They'd basically not been used since he'd left the forces, so all the repairs you can see were made 'in the field'.

Ha, Scott, I know what you mean, but I didn't feel the Irvin thread was the right place for it, they're something a bit special - the pair are complete beasts btw, you could handle blocks of ice with them without feeling a thing!

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, John, I thought it was just something a little different. DD, if you want me to get the gloves and do some measurements and very detailed pics for you, I'd be happy to ask my colleague.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Absolutely, If its no trouble, might as well take some detailed shots and measurements why not.

I couldnt do them Justice even then. They look special order, Cant recal seeing a pair of these ever.

The Story makes them invaluable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points