That is a very, very green hat! Love the style and velour though. Nice catch, Max.
Well, the numbers were on the same keyboard, so it was close...
Bowen, here is a quick update. I’ve made some progress but definitely have more to do. That ring doesn’t want to go away!
Here is the progression so far — left to right is the original hat, initial steam/shape/brush, and then result after 7 steps shown below:
Well, my niece wants to go with a new hat which is understandable and I’m cool with that. Seems like a good opportunity to start a new hobby and with all the help and encouragement and great folks here I sense it will be a rewarding journey. The skills, equipment, and materials seem to be on par with my fly tying hobby which I really enjoy and it benefits my main passion which is fly fishing. Anyway, deep breath, and step #8:
View attachment 424880
ve some grime. Let dry.
2. used the granual cleaner on small stains and on the ring. Used my thumb to grind it in and the hat brush to clear away. All stains pretty much disappeared and ring somewhat blended in.
3. shaped hat using blue bowl inside and large spoon outside. Not easy to do but did reduce the ring bump a bit. I think a hat block could help a lot here! Also flattened brim on edge of counter
4. used foaming spray overall. This brightened the whole hat but did nothing to the ring. Once dried, I used hat sponge and brush overall.
5. repeated step 3. Ring flattened a bit more.
6. very lightly used sanding block and thumb size sand paper selectively on ring. Brushed again. Definitely saw improvement.
7. repeated step 3
Maybe an hour of work to do all of this but it took a good part of a day. I plan to repeat some of these steps but I’m going to let the hat rest for awhile .
Well done sir. Impressive differenceHappy with the latest results — not perfect but a big step forward.
I’ll probably stick with the original hat band but it’s interesting to see how a different one totally changes the vibe of the hat.
Now I need to learn how to sew the sweatband back in .
Thanks again to everyone who provided tips!
View attachment 427063
That wasn’t too far from me. Maybe a first. Considered it as a pick up in person option.. but I don’t think they were allowing in store pick up. Pretty nice “Dobbs” for a Stetson…. Or vice versa. I’d guess late 40s early 50s with that liner.Me too. At that price I was willing to roll the dice on the size.
That wasn’t too far from me. Maybe a first. Considered it as a pick up in person option.. but I don’t think they were allowing in store pick up. Pretty nice “Dobbs” for a Stetson…. Or vice versa. I’d guess late 40s early 50s with that liner.
Muy bien, Bowen! I love it when you speak Spanish.Muy bien. You’ve gotten my vote for effort. Pic #3 looks impressively better.
Thanks for the update.
What does the inside look like? If it’s pounced as nice as the outside some folks have had fortune turning the hat inside out. That requires a lot of work.
Just a thought.