Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OTHER THAN eBAY Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

buler

I'll Lock Up
Posting active auctions is not that unusual. A lot of people aren't aware of some of the other places like Goodwill.

From post one in the eBay thread:

"**Fedora Lounge policy now permits the linking of active ebay auctions.**"

No reason it differs here.

It is allowed within the rules of the site. But its still frowned upon in here.

B

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Yikes. Posting a live auction. Not good.

d36857a3ac99e8e9bb56f4afbe0654d0cfecf547_m.gif

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Mystery Stetson Number 2

Well, many of you have probably read about the "mystery stetson" I won on ebay this year with a replacement sweatband and no liner. Theres pictures in this thread:

Mystery Stetson Number 1

I saw a hat on etsy yesterday which appeared to have a really nice tall and straight crown. The seller said that there was a small hole where the felt had worn through but I wasn't really concerned with that. The sweatband appeared to have been the same type of replacement sweatband that I had on my Mystery Stetson. I was intrigued and sent the seller an email asking them to check under the sweatband for any labels or size info.

Here's the ETSY photos:

stetson1.jpg

stetson2.jpg

Stetson3.jpg

About an hour later the listing was pulled and the seller sent me this message:

"Hi Joshua,

Thanks for stopping in and inquiring about the hat. I'd not thought to look under the sweatband...there is a John B. Stetson paper label. No fraying on the ribbon as the ends appear to be "finished". The "hole" appears to be a tear where the felt has thinned out.

Thanks so much for your question...as I would not have realized the hat was a Stetson. I deactivated the listing as I believe I may have under-priced it. I would however be happy to sell it to you for the original listed price of $18. Let me know if you want it and I will re-activate it "reserved" for you. If I don't hear back from you, I will adjust the price and re list.

Kind regards,
Lisa B"

She also sent me this picture:
stetson4.jpg

ITS A STETSON!!!

So, for $28 shipped, I have another MYSTERY STETSON.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Interesting score, Josh. It appears that the seam on the sweat, besides having become unstitched, is off-center a bit. Looks like a good felt color.

Could be a replacement sweat? Or a missing liner?

Proportions look similar to an early Playboy. Mine is unlined with an unreeded sweat. I love a good mystery. Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

randooch

I'll Lock Up

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Interesting score, Josh. It appears that the seam on the sweat, besides having become unstitched, is off-center a bit. Looks like a good felt color.

Good find!

sure looks like one

Could be a replacement sweat? Or a missing liner?

Proportions look similar to an early Playboy. Mine is unlined with an unreeded sweat. I love a good mystery. Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Thanks, Guys. I was thinking that it might be an early Playboy as well. My first Mystery Stetson has a wear spot in the same exact spot and its extremely lightweight felt, so my though is that this felt is also extremely light weight. Lightweight felt + tall/straight crown + what looks to be a 2 1/4 inch brim + that particular size ribbon would seem to = early playboy. The sweatband was most definitely replaced, but I'm more curious if there is any remnants of tip printing or possibly old glue residue from a tip sticker. I just love those proportions and will make sure to take plenty of pictures when it comes in.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Yes, I've never seen a crinkly sweat like that. The seller claims it's flexible nonetheless.

Congratulations to the winner of this Shady Oak 100!

sa3360361930-sr.jpg

Walt

One of the Regulars
Anyone bid on the hats from the John Wayne collection on Heritage Auctions? The highest I saw went for around $119K. Most were in the tens of thousands range. There was a hat carrying case apparently used to carry hats for 60's-70's westerns that went for less than $400 (looks like it could hold 3 hats--it was about the only thing in my price class, but I didn't bid on it).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points