Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Our Gang car question, from the short, "Hi neighbor"

p51

One Too Many
In the Our Gang serial, "Hi Neighbor," we see one of the sweetest rides a kid could have ever had:
2085069532_22f77f74b7_z.jpg

It didn't look like a pedal car that I could tell.
Does anyone know if this was a studio creation or something a uber-rich kid could have had their parents buy back then?

3fingers

One Too Many
This intrigued me so I did a bit of scrounging. I found this image of a similar car that was going to auction.
If you look at Google images of 1920s pedal cars, some of them are very fancy and intricate.
12109836_1.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
They probably customized a stock pedal car with extra ladders and such, but it doesn't otherwise have the look of something to come out of the Roach studio prop shop. They had a guy there, Charley Oezle, who built all the prop vehicles used in Roach comedy shorts, and it was definitely his handiwork on display in the *other* fire engine from that particular film:

hqdefault.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
3fingers discovery of 1920's pedal cars, (some car) made me curious too. Nothing much changes, if your parents are rich you can have today's ultimate kid's car. This one is electric, it made wonder if the Hi Gang fire engine was similarly powered, that's why the young lad's legs appear static.
pedal car.jpg

Haversack

One Too Many
Fire truck pedal cars have always been the most popular subset of pedal cars. If you Google 'pedal car', 'fire', '1930s', and 'engine or truck' and look at the image results, you will see that there are scores of examples. (not all from the thirties). Some are very basic but others are quite fancy. They usually are red, have a bell, and carry 1-3 ladders.

48465_Auto_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21