Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Out of the Humidor: Weekly Cigar Corner: Current Discussion: General Smoking 01/26/07

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Hello fellow loungers, well as mnay of you out there know I am a huge cigar aficionado and I got to thinking today, I spend a lot of time out on my back deck enjoying a fine cigar and hanging out at the lounge. I thought to myself, what else could I do at the lounge to keep contributing more and more. Well here it is, "Out of the Humidor" will be a weekly posting, like an online magazine, with pictures, cigar ratings, and more for all of you fellow cigar lovers. Every week, during my Sunday evening smokes I will be bringing you cigar news I have gathered during the week, I will rate a new cigar, and bring up interesting cigar related products and much more. So sit back, light up a smoke and let your cares drift away for the first edition of "Out of the Humidor"!

Bogie1943

Practically Family
At the top of this weeks issue is a brand new smoke brought to us by our good friends at CAO. As many of you know CAO is a great cigar company, Their motto "Cuban Shmooban" says it all for me and I hope many of you. Just the other day I walked into my local cigar shop, went into the humidor and saw a new smoke in the CAO section and boy was I surprised. I am avid cigaraficionado.com reader and I must have missed this. Moving on CAO's new line is called "Italia" like there other wonderful line "Brazilia" the cigar bares the name of it's contry of origin. This cigar is made from a crop that was brought to Italy about 40 years ago. It is a cuban seed of course, hand made in the DR, where most of the worlds cigars are produced these days. The packaging sports the grand colors of Italy, the green, white, and red of course. This smoke sports a nice Colorado color (reddish brown) and is over all medium bodied to my taste. The flavor being bit medium to full at times as it burns down to the last puff is a nice balanced flavor with hints of coffee. It is a really wonderful smoke for right after a fine dinner, I really fell in love with it right after the first puff.

Bogie1943

Practically Family
The cigars burns and draws very good, with some uneveness in the burn at times but that can be over looked. The aroma of this cigar is really wonderful, very rich and pleasant to the nose. So far I have smoked one of the robusto and one of the torpedo, which Is what I am smoking as I type tonight. Rating this cigar after just two of them may be a little early to judge on my part but I would have to give it at least a score of 88/100, points taken off for the uneven tendencies. Over all this a wonderful smoke and I highly recommend it to any of you to try for yourselves and send in your own opinions.

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Off the Stand

This weeks Off the Stand section features a magazine I myself am very new to. I am an avid reader of Cigar Aficionado and am always on the look out for new books and magazines on the subject of cigars. "Smoke" magazine is a seasonal periodical which breaks itself down into four issues a year. I just picked up the summer issue of the magazine which features some great articles on Las Vegas smoke spots, some great reviews of hot summer smokes, some cigars myths, and a great interview for you fans of "The Sapranos'" featuring Steven Schirripa of the cast. I really like this mag, it is all cigars for the most part and features a lot of brands I have never even heard of. It is well worth the price of $4.99 at the stand but their subscription deals are much better as is every magazine. Pick one up if you find yourself at your local newstand or visit their website at www.smokemag.com

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Off the Shelf

This weeks Off the Shelf section features a great books for any cigar lover. My father was kinda enough to pick this book up for me and I want to share it with you because this of truely a great book. No matter of you are an aficionado or a cigar virgin you will find a need for this book. It is called " The Art of Selecting and Smoking: International Connoisseur's Guide to Cigars" by Jane Resnick. It features over 200 cigar brands, 100 color photos, guide to buying cigars, over 150 cigar friendly bars and restaurants and everything else you could imagine or need to know. I have found this book quit handy and with it's well written info, it really turns into a page turner and I mean fast. You start in the world of growing the fine crop, to the prep stages to the actual making of a fine hand made cigar. Then you are drawn in to the vast world of cigar smoking, buying, lighting and cutting and the list goes on. With it's detailed list of some of the best cigars available, it's great for newbies. If I were you and I saw this book I would jump on it as fast as I could. It first started printing in 1996 so a few things may be a little out of date in the cigar listings but for the most part it is well worth the price of admission!

Bogie1943

Practically Family
For the Newbies

This section is for those of you who are new to the cigar world and wish to join in on all the hours of pure bliss. This week we feature a fine cigar for the new smoker and seasoned vet. It is called the Don Diego Aniversario line and comes in a variety of sizes and shapes. It features a beautiful Connecticut shade wrapper which is silky to the touch. It is a mild smoke, great for beginners and vet alike. It is very creamy to the taste with some nice falvors of cream of course and an aroma to die for. I found this cigar a few weeks back waiting for me in the local shop. Their packaging is wonderful, boxes that are so nice, they could be humidors themselves. I give this cigar a high rating for good presentation, good construction, very pleasant flavor, the burn is perfect, the draw is perfect. When you are in the mood for a mild smoke, this is the way to start the day, right after breakfast. The price does run a bit high but I feel it is quit worth in.

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Closing the Lid

Well, that will just about do it for the first issue of the humidor. Coming next week, I will be coming to you from my new home in San Diego from another back deck of the home of our old buddy Dan. Featuring a guest column from the man himself, intro to the cigar gadget section, more cigar ratings, and much much more. I will be saying goodnight and good week to enjoy my late night snack and another fine smoke. From my humidor to yours, this is your fellow cigar lover, Josh Edwards, bidding you happy trails with good stogies abound. The spin on cigars stops here!

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Out of the Humidor: Weekly Cigar Corner Issue # 2

Hey fellas it's been awhile since I have kept this up, I am sorry for getting so behind on adding the next issue, but here it is. This issue I am featuring a brand of cigar accessories that I use and love. The brand is called Xikar, manufacturers of fine vigars cutters and scissors.

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Topping the list is the Xikar XI3 Cigar Cutter, this is featured in a fine redwood and retails for $79.95 at www.xikar.com. This is really a fine cutter, I have never used anything better. It's smooth action and surgically clean cut is wonderful. Plus when you register your cutter online for warrenty you get a free leather case for your cutter. They are a great company who really knows how to take care of their customers.

Bogie1943

Practically Family
This is the XI2 cigar cutter, I bought this one first and it great, a little lighter and more everyday than the XI3 which is much finer. It retails for $39.95.

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Xi MTX Multi-Tool

The ultimate men's tool! This lightweight, compact folding cigar scissors also includes a cigar poker, knife blade, screwdriver, and bottle opener. Cigar scissors can cut up to a 54 ring-gauge cigar. Handy for all occasions. Comes with key ring attachment for easy access. Total thickness: .2 inches. Total weight: 1.0 oz!

This is really great, if you are not a cutter type of fellow and scissors, this is really great, compact, easy to use, light weight, and cuts perfect.

Bogie1943

Practically Family
featured Cigar Links

This issues featured cigar links include one in particular, www.jrcigars.com, the best place to get the best deals on all the big name brands and the not so name brands, such as the Cigars by the Gallon and the Honduran Bundles which I would recommend if you are looking for a daily smoke.

www.cigaraficionado.com, a cigar lovers standard, I never leave home without two things, a cigar, of course, and an issue of this magazine. The latest issue features this years World Poker Tour winner and much more.

Bogie1943

Practically Family
This issues featured cigar is the Occidental Reserve. It is a fine smoke I found while I was out in the San Diego area a few weeks ago. It features a fine Connectivut shade wrapper,a great draw. and a perfect burn. The flavor is mild-medium and "closely resembles a fine Montecristo" says Daniel Riser. It is a great smoke that I enjoy often no-a-days and for the price it's worth it. You can get a bundle of 25 Churchills for about $75.00.

farnham54

A-List Customer
This is a great idea!

One question, and I know it'll probobly be tough to answer: What is the best value of a cigar? Best all round experience for you dollar?

Regards,
Budget-concious Craig

Bogie1943

Practically Family
A very good question my friend and yes it may a bit hard to answer but I shall do my best. I think is all start with experience and personal preference, which is the heart of the enjoyment of fine cigars. First off let me clear up this grand myth that you have to pay a lot of money for a "good" premium cigar. True, odds are you won't find a cigar that's worth a damn for the price of a Phillie Blunt, yuck. But you don't have to pay through the nose for a fine smoke. There are a lot of great deals running around in the cigar market these days. JR Cigars, which I love and can't say anything bad about them. They always have the best deals on everything, especially the name brands. However, the fella who runs the cigar dept. of JR and writes the articles in their catalogue is great on finding the real deals on name brand seconds. Another myth to clear up is that that seconds are all bad cigars, not true. Often seconds become seconds because they are cut wrong or rolled wrong to that particular brands standards, which for premium makes are always high. Good seconds often have minor faults that can be over looked and have nothing to do with the flavor of the smoke. One I must recommend that is currently being offered by JR's in the Cigars by the Gallon, the General Cigar Co. ones that is. The first batch he had were crap and he admits that, but these are very different. If you visit the JR site, look up the Cigars by the Gallon and if you buy, make sure you but the ones labeled General Cigar Co..... I have two gallons, lol, and they are great smokes, just like he promised. These are big big name brand seconds and are so well worth the price and the packaging idea is great as well. Another good quality brand is La Vieja Habana by Drew Estate. These are great smokes and usually are about $40+ a box, try them if you see them in your local humidor.

Another thing from JR is the Honduran bundles he has right now, good price good cigars. The maduro look at bit rough in appearance but they smoke well with a very interesting flavor and again these will not break the bank.

Prices for listed Items:
Cigars by the Gallon: $55-$70 for between 45 to 60 cigars
Honduran Bundles: $42-49 for 50 cigars
www.jrcigars.com

Thanks for responding farnham54, you are the first person to comment and I thank you for your praise of the article and hope you will keep reading in the future, thanks again.

Kwebs

New in Town
Thanks Bogie,

I like a good cigar, but I never really known what are good brands or were to go. I look forward to learning more.

Dave

Gee, J & R appears to be a good source thanks. I checked them out for Fuente Hemingways and they are all out though. I guess I will have to go back to Thompson for those. What do you think of Thompson's offerings?

Regards,

J

P.S. Good thread by the way. I was lurking at the sidelines. LOL

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Thank you very much Mr Powers for the compliments, I love A. Fuente Hemingways, one of my cassic favorites. Thompson Cigars has OK prices in my opinion, I think JR has much better all around deals, not only on thier prices but they are good with nice quality freebies. One thing I do like about Thompson, is they have more accessories than JR.

I think that is a fair assessment. Thompson does have cool accessories that I never knew I wanted. LOL The drawpoker alone has saved the occasional unsmokable.
A suggestion for the next review might be something from Romeo Y Julieta---maybe the Reserva or Anniversario. I have not jumped onto this brand yet and would like confirmation before I spend the big bucks for the box. ;) I prefer a Lonsdale or Churchill size but I do not have that much time to sit down and enjoy them so I might be able to live with the Robusto size. :D

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana