Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Out of the Humidor: Weekly Cigar Corner: Current Discussion: General Smoking 01/26/07

S

Shaul-Ike Cohen

gear

M Chevalier,

add a pipe stand, a couple of cleaners, filters (if you're in the habit), and - a second pipe or more. Many pipe smokers won't use a given pipe more than once a day so it can dry between smokes.

I confess I'm less than consistent concerning this latter point, but then again, I know I have tradition on my side.

<- This (until I change the avatar) is my favorite pipe, a Peterson Aran X105, from the time some years ago when they made them so wonderfully smooth, and they didn't look like hairsprayed.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
... add a pipe stand, a couple of cleaners, filters (if you're in the habit), and - a second pipe or more.
... and a tobacco jar (or two, or three). And unless you like your stems green, you have to buff them with carnauba wax -- or get them buffed professionally. Not to mention the need to have your pipes reconditioned ... unless you clean their bowls thoroughly after every smoke or two. If Felix Unger had smoked, he'd have been right at home with pipes.

Pyroxene

One of the Regulars
Pipes are high maintenance...

Now, don't get me wrong, I smoke pipes in the cooler months OR when I want a short smoke OR something to puff on inside the house. However, pipes require many accouterments.

Speaking cigars: Sorry to hear about about the Graycliff. I have smoked the Graycliff G2 Yellow series and have found them to be satifactory. My personal fav is the Partagas Black Label. I introduced my dad and now he won't smoke anything else.

Pyro.

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
Nick Charles said:
Smoking both I'll say the reson you don't see any is that most people have no patience. Cigs give you a quick fix, cigars are more time consuming but not that long. Pipes on the other hand have to be lit and relit, tamped, packed, smoked, cleaned and conditioned. There is also the storage and transport of the tobacco. Most people just won't take the time.lol

There's a great tobacco shop in Fort Wayne by the name of Reigel's. Every year they hold a contest where everyone is given the same amount of pipe tobacco and two matches. The guy who keeps his pipe lit the longest without having to relight or fidget with it wins a free pipe! Needless to say I'll likely never win that competition!

bink

binkmeisterRick said:
There's a great tobacco shop in Fort Wayne by the name of Reigel's. Every year they hold a contest where everyone is given the same amount of pipe tobacco and two matches. The guy who keeps his pipe lit the longest without having to relight or fidget with it wins a free pipe! Needless to say I'll likely never win that competition!

As long as its indoors without any wind I can do it easily. I might burn up the pipe keeping it lit that long though. lol :p Puff, puff, puff, puff. :D

Regards,

J

Bogie1943

Practically Family
A+ on the Partagas Black Label my friend, they are top notch. As for pipes, I have seen a serge in young pipe smokers, those smoking tobacco thank you. People do turn their heads when they see me with a pipe and a fedora or either seperate. It is so alien to modern people it makes me laugh sometimes.

S

Shaul-Ike Cohen

I never understood the concept of slow-smoking contests that are so popular in some countries. Instead of enjoying one's pipe at a natural pace alone or in company, you sit there with a hundred other people, nobody talks for an hour or so, and everybody tries morosely not to let his pipe go out. Strange pastime.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Speaking of pipe tobacco, no one does it like the Brazilians. I picked up the packet below in Sao Paulo. Look at the left side: it says, "The Ministry of Health warns: SMOKING CAUSES SEXUAL IMPOTENCE."

The look on the faces of that couple!

tobacco.jpg

Grimstar

Familiar Face
As a matter of fact...

I have, many times. I first did it long long ago when I was 16...sneaking out of the house so my mom and dad wouldn't catch me. Borkum Riff Ultralight (cheap drugstore tobacco...but it was all I could get as a kid) I still do it occasionally, when I'm feeling nostalgic. :p And I still like Borkum Riff lol ...it just takes me back to those days.

Bebop

Practically Family
To me, pipes are so much easier to smoke than cigars even though you need tamper, tobacco and pouch, lighter, pipe cleaners and the racks, because I can let it go out and pick it back up when more convienient. I don't like to smoke like a chimney for an uninterupted amount of time. I like to stop, tamp, have some tea or something and then go back to smoking. The purpose of my smoking is to slow life down. Messing with paraphanelia makes me slow down. I can also hold it in my mouth without having it lit like when I get on a bus or in a taxi. Re-lighting a cigar makes it go sour and changes the taste of the tobacco too much. I am the one that cleans and repairs my pipes. That is also slow, deliberate work that helps me slow down. It is more of a hobby to me than cigars are even though I love cigars also. And yes, sometimes I do feel like Felix Unger when cleaning and buffing my pipes. I feel the same when cleaning firearms. Strangely enough, both pipes and firearms are cleaned because making them dirty is so enjoyable.:rolleyes: There is a common thread between them somehow.

RedPop4

One Too Many
So far this week, I've enjoyed two cigars.
Wednesday night was a Padilla Habano. Padilla is a "boutique brand cigar" made in Miami. They're rather small, with only a couple rollers. Thus their distribution is small, and their price rather high, especially paying rollers in Miami as opposed to having a factory abroad.

Padilla has a couple different lines, and this one, the Habano, is made with all Nicaraguan tobacco and a "Habano Wrapper" whatever that is. www.padillacigars.com

I really enjoyed this cigar and nearly "nubbed" it.

Last night's offering was a Punch Coronation, which is a corona sized cigar packaged in an aluminum tube. This was a very good cigar as well, I find I'm quite partial to the Cuban Punch line, with Punch Punch being an outstanding example. This was not a Punch Punch, but it WAS a very respectable representative of the Punch marque.

RedPop4 said:
Last night's offering was a Punch Coronation, which is a corona sized cigar packaged in an aluminum tube. This was a very good cigar as well, I find I'm quite partial to the Cuban Punch line, with Punch Punch being an outstanding example. This was not a Punch Punch, but it WAS a very respectable representative of the Punch marque.

And where are we getting these pray tell? ;)
Nubbed it? Doesn't it get a little too hot for that? :eek: The taste carries through that far?

Regards,

J

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
Right on target. You have to carry around a tobacco pouch (or tin), a lighter (or matches), a tamper, and the pipe itself. That's a lot of gear.

My tobacconist sold me a lovely pouch that carries the lot (apart from my lighter, which I prefer to keep handy), and still fits in the pocket of my Eastman Luftwaffe jacket. It wasn't exactly cheap, but what about pipe-smoking is?

I think that might be another factor in the decline of pipes: paying for a reasonable first pipe, and the necessities, can be a little off-putting to the beginner, especially if they're not sure they'll like it.

Personally, I tend to smoke a pipe when I'm working and cigarettes when I'm out.

RedPop4

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
And where are we getting these pray tell? ;)
Nubbed it? Doesn't it get a little too hot for that? :eek: The taste carries through that far?

Regards,

J
If you leave about 1/2 of an inch or so. You need be really careful when drawing on it this close as it can get hot, but let it cool before drawing again. Yes there will be flavor.

I friend sent me the Punch.

topcat

Familiar Face
Might've been mentioned already but anyone else claim Hoyo De Monterry
as a favorite? Especially their excalibur series, love a cigar that no matter
how hard you bite down it retains its shape and texture.

Another mention for Rocky Patel, super cigar.

Ever try the oversized Casablanca?

Love H.Upmanns too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21