Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Overcoat Fittings

drummer4hire

New in Town
I was in the thrift store the other day (my new place to purchase fine clothes) and came across a very nice grey wool overcoat, in a size 36, with removable lining. The only tag said "Crocodile, Superior Materials Made in England", and a big Union Jack. Having missed out on a nice coat waiting for sales, i jumped at it and spent the $12.95. It has a non-functioning belted back and is single-breasted, with notch lapels; all in all a nice coat. It's a touch big, given that i wear 34, but it's not bad. The cuffs might be slightly long, but again, i'm not too worried. My question is how big is too big? Some men seem to have larger coats, while others have form fitting coats. I doubt there's a hard and fast rule to this, but, are overcoats made with the suit in mind? Meaning, is a 34 going to fit with the suit on? I'd like to know, for further purchases.

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Hey 'drummer! Well, once again, it depends on the style you're going for but, most importantly, the suit(s) you're going to be wearing the overcoat, um, over! I got a 1940s overcoat a few weeks back and it's quite large on me, but as the suits I'm going to be wearing it over have pretty wide shoulders, as do I, that's a big plus. Of course, if I just wear a shirt underneath the overcoat it looks a little large, but I'm generally going to use it for topping-off a suit, jacket & pants combo or with a thick sweater underneath, so it's less of a concern...

I wouldn't worry about it, really - just enjoy the overcoat, if it gets chilly enuff for you to wear it! As the coat has a non-functioning half-belt, it's likely to be a more generously-proportioned (i.e. sartorially forgiving and thus quite versatile) style than a modern 'mackintosh' or 'covert coat', which have a much trimmer silhouette.

As with all vintage clothing, it's worth picking things up, especially if they aren't too much money (sounds like you got a bargain!), and just trying them out with your existing wardrobe. If it really doesn't work, you could always sell it thru the FL classifieds, or keep it for a few years, then you may find it'll fit in better when your wardrobe has naturally progressed...

I know that I regret getting rid of clothes that I couldn't quite figure out how to wear 'em when I got 'em...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff