Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

overnight bag

Valhson

One of the Regulars
Well it has come to that time. I have been saving for over a year now for a overnight bag in leather. I know it is a little silly maybe and I am going to be spending a lot on this but I am looking for a classic that I can keep for the next 20+ years. I travel more than I care to really (that is a lie, I travel for work more than I care to) Either way, after a year of looking around, I still am not sure as to what bag I want. I have come down to the following two choices however

saddleback leather example
http://www.saddlebackleather.com/ca...Leather-Duffel-Overnight-Chestnut-Leather-Bag

or the adventure duffle
http://www.delight.com/The-Indiana-Leather-Adventure-Duffel

Any thoughts?

TSWebster

New in Town
I don't have either bag, but I do know a few people with the Saddleback Briefcase and I have examined one of those rather closely. If you want something that will last 20 years of heavy use anything made to Saddleback's standards should suit you well, they overbuild intentionally becuase they want to make something that will never break. The 100 year warantee on their products should be more than sufficient for the life of the bag as well.

Besides that Saddleback stuff just looks plain nice.

Colonel

One of the Regulars
Here is my overnight/weekend bag:
Image00010.jpg

I bought it from Duluth Trading Company, and at $200, it sure beats the other two on price, and I am completely satisfied with the look and quality. I would not hesitate to recommend this to anyone.

Edward

Bartender
I badly want a Saddleback suitcase, though I think the standard model is probably a little too small for my purposes. Wish I could find something as durable, though.... I'm just back from Christmas with the folks with yet another case destroyed by baggage handlers - this time a new one on its first voyage, one end ripped beyond repair.

Valhson

One of the Regulars
I do enjoy the look of the Duluth bag. How well is it constructed? How has it been under abuse?

The only thing that has me concerned about the saddleback overnight is that I have not been able to find a single review of it in use. There are a bunch about its construction and "we will see how this works." But nothing on how the trips went.

Colonel

One of the Regulars
Valhson said:
I do enjoy the look of the Duluth bag. How well is it constructed? How has it been under abuse?
I have seen nothing in the construction that would cause me to question its durability. I have been using it fairly regularly for a number of years (I don't recall exactly how long ago I bought it). It has not "been under abuse" because I try to take good care that sort of thing. It has been stuffed into the carry-on racks of airplanes, under the seat of Amtrack trains, buried under "stuff" in the back of an SUV on a trip, and carried in my hand on years worth of trips. In the time that I have owned it, I have never been on an overnight trip where I didn't bring it with me. It is my primary piece of luggage - and almost always my ONLY piece of luggage when I travel somewhere. It shows the marks of wear very gracefully - the minor scars of usage are worn as signs of maturity rather than shabbiness.

The inside is fabric lined and includes an inside pocket (in the fabric). Mine has shown no sign of wear, but I suspect that when something eventually goes, that will be what fails first. I believe it will be quite a while before that happens though. The only thing I have added is a standard military dog tag with my contact information on it.

If I were to lose it, I would not hesitate for a single moment about buying another one exactly like it. I have not bought anything from Saddleback, but everything I have seen indicates that it is a high quality product. I have bought from Colonel Littleton, and their products are of the highest quality. I just like the simple, old-school look of this bag. It has no more straps or D-rings or other doodads than are absolutely necessary to do the job, and that is what I like. It is a classic, simple, timeless design well executed.

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
Another brand you might consider is Orvis--their Battenkill luggage is great (canvas and leather) and they have an all leather line called Bullhide--they have a great weekend carry on for $498.

Tailor Tom

One of the Regulars
I feel for Edward

Edward said:
.... I'm just back from Christmas with the folks with yet another case destroyed by baggage handlers - this time a new one on its first voyage, one end ripped beyond repair.

I have a set of black leather luggage, and use it only for driving trips or as carry on. Last time I flew the airline MADE me check my duffle, due to whatever reasons they had that day, and when it came out on the conveyor the handle was torn off and a huge rip down the side. The airline (Delta/Norhtwest) would pay for a half-assed repair, but certainly not a replacement.

That Indie bag looks like a nice one, with it lower compartment, but that Duluth bag is darn handsome though.

de Stokesay

One of the Regulars
I might be slightly wary of the indy bag as my experience has been that zippers are the first thing to go on any luggage. It would be very inconvenient if that bottom zipper gave way and one wasn't near home. Also, I would be fairly cautious about putting anything heavy in the bottom compartment, and unless there is a layer of stiched, heavy leather in the bottom of the top compartment, I wouldn't want to put anything heavy in the top bit either.

I might be totally wrong about this product's durability, but given my past experience, I refuse to rely on zippers any longer, particularly if they are used to support a load-bearing area.

Have you looked at vintage leather bags. Surely you should be able to find a good vintage leather valise that has leather still in good condition for much less than $500, shouldn't you? Even if the top zipper has to be replaced, it should still be a steal.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

de Stokesay

Edward

Bartender
Tailor Tom said:
I have a set of black leather luggage, and use it only for driving trips or as carry on. Last time I flew the airline MADE me check my duffle, due to whatever reasons they had that day, and when it came out on the conveyor the handle was torn off and a huge rip down the side. The airline (Delta/Norhtwest) would pay for a half-assed repair, but certainly not a replacement.

Yeah, airlines are a nightmare that way. This is far from the first time I've had a case destroyed.... The last time I had oned damaged it was on its first flight too. Ended up not fully processing the claim as though that was a new bag on its first voyage, I bought it on the local market and had no receipt... If only I could have the bag I've just lost made up in the heavy canvas that army kit bags are made from, with a rubberised inside to waterproof it (and a thin, satin layer over that), I think it would be ideal. At least then rips could be stitched up....

The real pain in the bum is I now have to provide them not only with details of my journey, the damage, receipt for the bag etc, but as well as all the other hoops I have to also send them written confirmation from a company both that it is beyond repair and for replacement cost. I honestly believe they make it as difficult as possible in order to put people off bothering.... :mad:

I've been lusting after one of those canvas and leather Orvis bags for some time, but I'm not sure it's worth it if it's only going to be destroyed.... I think net time I may go back to the old idea of a separate wheelie-trolley rather than built in - less to go wrong.

Valhson

One of the Regulars
de Stokesay said:
Have you looked at vintage leather bags. Surely you should be able to find a good vintage leather valise that has leather still in good condition for much less than $500, shouldn't you? Even if the top zipper has to be replaced, it should still be a steal.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

de Stokesay

I thought about this also but I have not seen a single vintage bag that was not dry rotted. Maybe it is where I was looking? I am in DC and the parents moved to a rural town near Erie PA so in the summers I have been looking between here and there with the inclusion of western New York (Buffalo, South towns, Jamestown, Olean etc.) Just haven't found one that wasn't in a little too rough shape.

Valhson

One of the Regulars
Damage

The idea of bag damage has crossed my mind a few times. I have had numerous bags destroyed on flights due to some of the strange areas I sometimes fly into in the past. In Alaska I had my kit split up so bad they re-packaged it in nice little trash bags for me. This is when I learned that most US carriers will only cover up to $200 for the bag itself. As most bags are right around this price (backpacks for backcountry etc) I looked around and found that Osprey makes a bag that is $25, goes over your kit and protects it. Said cover bag also packs rather small so it isn't anything to include in packing.

I do plan on having this with me incase I am forced to put a bag in the evil under belly of a flight.

Rambo66

New in Town
Colonel said:
Here is my overnight/weekend bag:
Image00010.jpg

I bought it from Duluth Trading Company, and at $200, it sure beats the other two on price, and I am completely satisfied with the look and quality. I would not hesitate to recommend this to anyone.

LOVE the bag but I HATE that it has that leather Duluth tag on it.

Colonel

One of the Regulars
Rambo66 said:
LOVE the bag but I HATE that it has that leather Duluth tag on it.
Yeah, I agree. I guess companies do that because they figure they can get away with it. There will always be a market for quality items that are kept clean and simple without advertising someone else's name. If that were a place for the owner's initials or other personalization, that would be great. Oh well.

Warbaby

One Too Many
de Stokesay said:

de Stokesay

Good suggestion if you want an authentic vintage look and if you have the time and patience to scour the antique and thrift shops for one.

I found this traditional black leather satchel at a thrift shop a couple of months ago for five bucks. The leather is in great condition and the brass zipper still works smoothly. I definitely feel like an old-time travelin' man when I use it.

BlackSatchel.JPG

de Stokesay

One of the Regulars
Colonel said:
Yeah, I agree. I guess companies do that because they figure they can get away with it. There will always be a market for quality items that are kept clean and simple without advertising someone else's name. If that were a place for the owner's initials or other personalization, that would be great. Oh well.

How about getting a stitch-picker or a very sharp, pointy knife, removing the offending and either hand stitching youself, or getting a leather goods repair or shoe-repair place to swap in a new leather tag. You could go with a different colour of leather if you want, or pick a nice complementary shade. This could cost next to nothing if you do it yourself and isn't really that difficult. Trace the outline of the existing tag on paper, remove the old tag put the paper, cut to size exactly where the old tag used to be, punch holes in the paper where the existing holes in the bag are, transfer this paper template to the new piece of leather, tracing the outline and using a pen to mark where each hole is, cut out the outline of the new tag, use an awl or a sharpened nail to make holes in the new tag, and stitch it into place. How's that for a run-on sentence?

If you find some leather alphabet punches, you could even put your own initials on it. Leather work really is quite easy.

Just an idea...

de Stokesay

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ