Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

overwhelmed, Help! recommendations please

Faramir66103

New in Town
Hi All, I was directed over here by some folks on the Club Obi Wan board and am thrilled. I've been looking for something like this place for a while.

My immediate need (want) is a new hat. I'm currently wearing a boonie hat that I love. It's served all my outdoor and travel needs for several years. It is, however, not really appropriate for anything other than casual wear. What I'd really like is something with similar dimensions but in a fedora style. I've got a Stetson Indy hat that's good, but it's fit isn't quite right (thrift store find) and the crown feels a bit tall for me.

My boonie hat has a roughly 3" crown and a 2 & 3/8" brim. I've looked at the Akubra Campdraft, and really like it. In fact, that's the leading contender, but I thought you folks might know of other similar options that I've not found yet. I don't really want an Indy look, since I've already got one, and don't really want to look like an Indy wannabe all the time. I'm looking for a nice looking hat that I can wear every day that will stand up to the elements and will work with a range of looks that are less casual and a bit more formal, classy but rugged.

Any help or ideas you folks could provide would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed by what I'm finding out there.

Thanks,
Adam

carter

I'll Lock Up
Hello Faramir66103, Welcome. If you are in a hurry, go to HatsDirect.com and look at their Akubra offerings. There are a variety of crown heights and brim widths available. With the US $ being strong against the Australian $ currently, it's a great time to order an Akubra (or two).
If you have more time and want to do some research, take a look at some of the recent threads in the Hats forum. There is a ton of good information there.

RBH

Bartender
Welcome to the Lounge Adam.
You will find all sorts of info here. Carter is correct. And the Campdraft is a fantastic hat, but it has a tall crown and wide brim. The crown can be creased to where it does not seem as tall. Continue to look at older threads and I am sure you will be able to find what style you want!

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Welcome!

Be advised that many of us originally went for lower crowns until the more full, boxy, classic look grew on us. I look back and can't understand now how I wanted the lower crowned hats before.

Anyway, congratulations to you for embarking into finer hat wearing and for joining TFL!

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Akubras are great hats, especially the Campdraft. But their lids tend to be bigger and meatier than Stetsons.

In your case, I would suggest looking at other Stetsons. Stetsons with a c-crown or tear drop crown tend to have straight but low crowns, which would be less of a jump from a boonie than the taller, more tapered center crease. You probably have a Temple. Try a Chatham or a Downs. And remember, you can tighten the front pinch on them with some steam or cool water if you like something more Indy-like.

You might also consider the pork pie style, which looks more like a boonie than a fedora.

Faramir66103

New in Town
Yeah, I get how the taller crowns could grow on one. I get great compliments on the Indy Stetson, so perhaps it's just me that thinks it's too tall. I'm very used to the boonie. My hat experiences have all arisen out of outdoor necessity, i.e. sun, rain, cold and in rough conditions, hence the boonie, so that's what I'm used to. I've just recently realized I really miss it when we go out, or I'm dressed more "up" than "down".

I'll have a look at more Stetsons as well as pork pie styles. Are "Chatham" and "Downs" Stetson models, or other manufacturers?

I actually kind of pinch my boonie in the front to give it a little more air space above my head, so it sometimes looks like some kind of weird cross, fwiw. Perhaps someday a custom design like the Art Fawcetts I've seen here will be in the cards.

I found a website called Miller Hats that seems to have a nice variety, including what appears to be a "house brand". Do they have a reputation one way or another?

Are there dealers that have good reputations and/or relations with The Fedora Lounge? What about dealers to stay away from?

Thanks,
Adam

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Those Miller Hats house-brand models are made by the Canadian hat company Biltmore, a well respected old firm, and their quality is roughly comparable to modern Stetsons.

But I have to jump on the bandwagon here: Akubras are better than both current Stetsons or Biltmores, and with the amazing conversion rates at the moment, they are half the price. Go to HatsDirect (or a bunch of other Web dealers, check out the Akubra threads) and order a Stylemaster, CEO, Campdraft, or Federation (etc.)... Whichever you choose, you'll be getting an outstanding hat for under $100!

Don't get me wrong: I like Stetsons too. I have a Stetson Temple, and it's a very nice hat - but it's absolutely not worth $135 compared to the Akubras I listed above that are currently in the mid-$60s.

Akubra Man

One of the Regulars
If you want to keep the Boonie hat style of low flat top crown and wide flat brim have a look at the Akubra Pastoralist or the Akubra Plainsman. Both of these will have low flat stove pipe style crowns and flat brims. Another style consideration in the same vein is the Akubra Down Under. Just a thought.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Doctor Strange is right to mention that Akubras are higher quality than Stetsons, but I'm not familiar enough with their offerings to recommend a model based on your tastes, Adam. Akubras tend to be bigger hats than Stetsons, and might make yours seem smaller! lol

I got my own start buying Millers, and I actually find the Stetson are slightly better about 80% of the time. But that might just be luck-of-the-draw or personal preference. As a vendor, Miller is great. Very responsive to questions by email, as well.

If you go for a Stetson, I recommend http://www.qualityhats.com/
They have the lowest prices I've been able to find. Their listings can be confusing, but I found a quick phone call cleared everything up. Also, if you know what model you want, a search on ebay often turns up a fair deal on the popular models.

tortswon

Practically Family
Welcome

Welcome to the Lounge, Adam. I'm a newbie here too but I'll take the risk of throwing in my two cents. I have a question for you. When you say you want (need) a new hat do you mean a newly manufactured hat or another hat (regardless of age) to change/add to your wardrobe?

I will be a bit of a dissenter when it comes to Akubra. I own a Stylemaster. It was the first "serious" hat I bought in my adult life and I thought it was great until I started buying hats manufactured many years ago. The felt in the Akubra does not, IMO, hold a candle to the old felt. I think most of the experienced members here would agree on the matter of felt quality.

Here's the good news. If you have gotten ties as gifts that you have put away and never worn, the same thing is true about hats from decades ago. I have purchased a number of hats manufactured in the '30's through the '60's that are in brand new (unworn) condition. There are many to be found in the classifieds here and on eBay. The better news is that you can pick up some of these hats for far less than a new Akubra!

Remember that I am new and could be completely wrong about all of this. Enjoy this wonderful hobby and learn from the much smarter and more experienced members. Best, Sam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner