Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pakistani made Leather jacket round 2

PilotJens

A-List Customer
The construction quality isn't as good I know but this is a unfamiliar leather to them .This leather is normally used for boots, cowboy hats,bags etc with less intricate and shorter seams .

Now to the flat appearance it is a pigment finish with a lighter color underneath.
Didn't people heavily complain about the five star hides that they lack character and the topcoat being to thick and strong to "beautifully patina and age" ?
I have a sample and the top coat is fine.

Have you guys ever seen what they do in the QC stage of mass produced leather items ? They touch up those scratches.Sometimes better sometimes worse .

Some marveled at five star for restitching every single hole when they did a alteration.Little do they know that five star just smears them with a tan colored paste and repaints the old seams . My five star has shown a few areas with better or worse spot treatments over the years .Some were clearly treated before cutting and stitching and some were just scratches that were painted over again .Just look at the fingers of the guys that send you the QC pictures .

PilotJens

A-List Customer
Believe me I have no fight to give but I can’t honestly believe you don’t look at what you’ve presented here (knowing that you have obviously seen the multitude of established makers versions of this jacket) and you don’t see a bright as the sun, retina burning difference. Pattern and material. It’s just not good man, and I’m sure you know this.

I don’t believe this jacket is made of leather at all. It looks like vinyl to me. There is zero depth of color and zero character. It does not look anything like any organic material I’ve ever seen. It’s flat brown plastic. Marc is giving the benefit of the doubt to this being leather. I am not convinced. If it is, it’s buried under plastic.

The pattern and construction issues are too easy to attack. I won’t even go there, a simple image search for aeromarine or heron or even Levi’s Cossack tells you all you need to know.
But of course this isn’t new information.

I’m not sure I am understanding the connection with regard to the boots. If you like those go to Ali express and pick up the Chinese version of this jacket. It will no doubt be far better. “You get what you pay for” is on full display here and I can only hope for your sake that the investment was very minimal.
I know the thing isn't perfect .I am not trying to make it anything that it isn't.

I am just trying to understand why there never seems to be a middle ground here.
It seems to me that things here are either perfect or complete trash.

I know the whole heritage clothing thing is about long lasting quality but I doubt that there is no middle ground or good enough to be had .

In regards to the boot leather question .
I want to test you a little because I am curious if perception can be deceiving

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
but this is a unfamiliar leather to them
Then they shouldn't offer a jacket with it if they charge money for it. Perhaps the better way would be to try and learn and only then ask for money.
This leather is normally used for boots, cowboy hats,bags etc with less intricate and shorter seams
Here too: they should make boots out of them and not a jacket.
The seams look horrible.

PilotJens

A-List Customer
Vanson horsehide vs Pakistan Cowhide
Same thickness and temper
Same level of surface sheen

Attachments

• 1714321520313..jpg
    1714321520313..jpg
    1 MB · Views: 23

PilotJens

A-List Customer
They don't plan on making more jackets out of it because they don't have the experience in working with such a firm hide .
It was a one off thing they tried for me and they don't advise to do it again .

Isn't CXL also a leather primarily used or intended for footwear? Yet people love it for heritage clothing/jackets

You can’t apply the term “heritage” to these jackets. They are fast fashion and disposable. You are comparing two different things and it’s unfair to both.

Nothing I’ve seen coming out of Pakistan carries the “heritage” ideals. I loathe the term frankly but the ethos are not represented by the endeavors here or by 5 Star, etc. I posted this elsewhere but it appears to bear repeating. If you need help with your “heritage” please consult this quick reference guide:
IMG_3818.jpeg

Obviously this is tongue in cheek but hopefully you understand what I’m getting at.

PilotJens

A-List Customer
I know what you mean. These things don't fit into the category because they don't have any heritage, traditions, etc .
They just try to be a short cut version or they just steal the heritage of a long standing company.

I do think that the fast fashion versions have certain qualities of the heritage companies.

Even if the leathers are unknown they still do perform better than any pu plastic alternatives. The old 5* linings I experienced had the ability to last a very long time.Way longer than any h&m polyester satin liner of a *"recycled polyester" green washing peacoat abomination with a zipper /fake vest combination

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I know the whole heritage clothing thing is about long lasting quality but I doubt that there is no middle ground or good enough to be had .
If you're referring to quality levels then this jacket isn't mid range by any means. I'd say it's at the lowest end, even below mall grade. Mid range I would say are jackets from makers like Aero, Schott and Vanson. High end: Thedi Lost Worlds Freewheelers etc.

PilotJens

A-List Customer
I also own copies of saddle back bags .
Yes they do have shortcuts but they are made of 2mm crazy horse leather.Heavy duty metal hardware and brass zips and clasps .
These bags have been through a lot .I use all of my "fast fashion" alternatives like the real thing was intended to with no ill effects or break downs.
These things allow me do have dependable things that I can easily use worry free .
I see way too much people marveling about a level of quality that they will never need .

PilotJens

A-List Customer
600-800$ isn't mid range to me .1000-3000$ is luxury level to me .
I don't know anyone that would see a 600$ piece of clothing as midrange.
Sure it is midrange here because people are invested in this field but the every day joe probably wears 80$ boots and 60-200$ mall jackets

Great Pilot. Enjoy the jackets. It’s your checkbook and absolutely your call. If you think they are mid range then they are. Wear them and enjoy.

Also, many of us do need that level of quality. And others, well, prefer quality. When it comes to certain items I can fall into either camp. Still, with other items I am more in the camp you mention, puttering about with the “masses”. As an example, I’ll spend money on a denim vest or jacket, but jeans, no way Jose. Lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo