Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat. Leather or cloth sweatband.

job

One Too Many
I am looking to buy a panama style straw hat and I am finding that most have cloth sweatbands. Some have leather or pleather sweats. Is it that most lower end straw hats use cloth and would it be hard to clean a cloth band on a straw hat.

brspiritus

One of the Regulars
A cloth sweatband is going to absorb sweat and eventually transfer it to the panama weave. When this sweat dries you run the risk of salt stains on your hat. I ruined a wonderful porkpie I had for Civil War Reenacting by repeated use and sweating during summer reenactments but then again I sweat like a pig outside a butcher shop.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am looking to buy a panama style straw hat and I am finding that most have cloth sweatbands. Some have leather or pleather sweats. Is it that most lower end straw hats use cloth and would it be hard to clean a cloth band on a straw hat.

Yes, that's the problem. A leather sweat band makes you sweat more, but it is much less penetrable by the sweat to the outside of the crown, which is the thing a sweat band tries to prevent. A cloth band is cooler and may be more comfortable, but doesn't protect the crown of the hat much. It's sort of like using those fabric coasters to protect wood furniture from glasses with cold drinks. Bottom line is that they don't protect much.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
I always try to go for quality leather in my straw hats.

In addition to the things mentioned above, as your sweat penetrates the cloth band and seeps in to the hat body you also run more dramatic shrinkage risks. I have massively shrunk a few straw hats over the last couple years with cloth bands and it is very annoying.

Borsalino Fan

Familiar Face
Absolutely right...the leather sweatband is better. I've had a big argument about this issue with the Borsalino headquarters in Italy.

dave7739

New in Town
I had one with a leather band and gave it to my son, he moved out and lost it, I'd like to replace one(for me) and don't remember the name of the brand, it was made in New Zealand but that's all I remember. I've done searches but I'm not good at that stuff. Any help would be appreciated
JD

Absolutely right...the leather sweatband is better. I've had a big argument about this issue with the Borsalino headquarters in Italy.
A decent leather sweat would cost Borsalino about $5 tops likely much less.....fabric sweats a few cents. But I guess if you are under pressure to turn a profit $$$ per hat can add up when you are making thousands. Still a good hat deserves a leather sweat.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Yes, cant reinforce the leather more. Cloth and grosgrain will absorb the sweat and ruin the ribbon and weave with salt and water stains - sweat basically. Leather all the way

You can sweat through leather too. You can also saturate the leather and cause perspiration to migrate to the felt and then the ribbon. On a mild day last month I sweated through a nice 1 7/8” wide roan leather sweatband and there were dark areas of the felt and the ribbon that were soaked. Happened in about 45 minutes during a brisk walk.

I personally prefer a leather sweatband, but I don’t know that they keep the straw and ribbon more protected than cloth. Leather does seem more hygienic and gives hats a richer and classier look. I also prefer the feel of leather on my forehead.

You can sweat through leather too. You can also saturate the leather and cause perspiration to migrate to the felt and then the ribbon. On a mild day last month I sweated through a nice 1 7/8” wide roan leather sweatband and there were dark areas of the felt and the ribbon that were soaked. Happened in about 45 minutes during a brisk walk.

I personally prefer a leather sweatband, but I don’t know that they keep the straw and ribbon more protected than cloth. Leather does seem more hygienic and gives hats a richer and classier look. I also prefer the feel of leather on my forehead.
The Bandera hat you gifted me that I refurbished for my wife had a great feature. Integral to the sweat was a thin shield of oil cloth or some man made material that sat between the sweat and the felt. It might not prevent totally the sweat leaking past into the felt but it sure as hell would slow it down. This would be a great feature in all hats especially a Panama.

The Bandera hat you gifted me that I refurbished for my wife had a great feature. Integral to the sweat was a thin shield of oil cloth or some man made material that sat between the sweat and the felt.

I recently picked up a Bandera with the same "shield". I've seen this in other hats as well.

61c74a9e-3497-4b9a-82c9-6f688090dadb-jpeg.339034

I don't have many western and the Bandera is the first and only one I have come across. Not sure how well they work as my wife just doesn't sweat....not lady like I guess....so the hat is not tested. Does it offer an effective sweat shield?

I have a few hats with that type of shield. It’s been used in soft dress hats and westerns. I haven’t put any of them through any testing. The thing is, the perspiration has to go somewhere and if the hat fits well it doesn’t drip down.

Eric recently shared a photo essay where he demonstrated his use of a handkerchief to wipe his sweatbands. Men have been doing that for a long time and it’s probably the best option. The “shield” might allow for longer periods between blotting.

jviss

Familiar Face
A couple of years ago, before I was clued-in to quality hats, I bought a Conner straw Panama hat. I had seen one while in Martha's Vineyard and I love it; they just didn't have my size. When I got home I order3ed one, online. The mode is Jensen Panama Straw Hat. I paid $51.

https://connerhats.com/products/jen..._medium=notification_email&utm_source=spently

When it arrived I was upset to find it had one of those "one size" elastic sweat bands. I hate those! So, today, finally, I ordered a leather sweatband on eBay. They are available from this seller cut and sewn, i.e., finished, and ready to install.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324963466067

I request the "Ginger" color, and a white ribbon on the back.

I intend to sew this to the hat on my sewing machine. Stand by for results!

jv

A couple of years ago, before I was clued-in to quality hats, I bought a Conner straw Panama hat. I had seen one while in Martha's Vineyard and I love it; they just didn't have my size. When I got home I order3ed one, online. The mode is Jensen Panama Straw Hat. I paid $51.

https://connerhats.com/products/jensen?utm_campaign=Spently Order Confirmation Email&utm_medium=notification_email&utm_source=spently

When it arrived I was upset to find it had one of those "one size" elastic sweat bands. I hate those! So, today, finally, I ordered a leather sweatband on eBay. They are available from this seller cut and sewn, i.e., finished, and ready to install.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324963466067

I request the "Ginger" color, and a white ribbon on the back.

I intend to sew this to the hat on my sewing machine. Stand by for results!

jv

Your leather sweatband is from a member here and they have a good reputation. I quickly decided that sewing in sweatbands was not going to be one of my skills.

I have some very nice montecristi hats with cloth sweatbands. They have a plastic like material on the backside of the sweatband. They are more comfortable than leather.

I recently found one of those too. I was surprised that such a fine weave Panama had a cloth sweatband. On inspection, the cloth was superior the other cloth sweatbands I’ve seen. I wouldn’t automatically change it out it it fit me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ