Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Question

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Who would be the go to man (or lady) to sew a sweatband in a Monticristi that I have had for years and never worn because IT HAS NO SWEATBAND. A co-worker from Ecuador brought it back for me years ago and I would like to put it into rotation with my Panama Bob's.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Prairie Shade said:
Who would be the go to man (or lady) to sew a sweatband in a Monticristi that I have had for years and never worn because IT HAS NO SWEATBAND. A co-worker from Ecuador brought it back for me years ago and I would like to put it into rotation with my Panama Bob's.

Ecuador? Don't you mean Panama? :D

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
warbird said:
Whoa! Now don't start that up again. :eusa_doh: :)

Panama hats are from Panama. That's why they are called "Panama" hats.

What? Now pretty soon someone is going to tell me that the Canary Islands were named after dogs and not birds :eek:

M8 :D

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
A little history...

Panama hat
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Panama Hat made for Harry Truman
Panama hats sold on a street market in EcuadorA Panama hat or just Panama is a traditional brimmed hat that is made from the plaited leaves of the panama-hat palm (Carludovica palmata). Despite the name, genuine Panama hats are made in Ecuador, not Panama. The origin of the name is uncertain. According to legend, the hat became associated with Panama during the construction of the Panama Canal in the early twentieth century. However, the Oxford English Dictionary cites a use of the term as early as 1834.[1] When Teddy Roosevelt visited the Canal, he wore such a hat, which increased its popularity.

The Ecuadorian town of Cuenca is the main producer; however, the town of Montecristi has the reputation of producing the finest quality hats.

Glorified during the 19th century, the panama has since been considered the prince of straw hats. Ecuadorian national hero and emblematic figure, Eloy Alfaro helped finance his liberal revolution of Ecuador through the export of panamas. The reputation of the hat was established by Napoleon III, Edward VII, and some other aficionados.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Yeah, right. Wikipedia is not fully vetted and there are lots of false claims made there.

Pretty soon some will say that the Canary Islands are named after dogs, and that cat-gut squash racquets are NOT really made from cat guts :D

M8

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Martini's may I suggest reading "Panama, a legendary hat" or other numerous books on the subject. Snarky posts won't change facts and the wikpedia is correct. Believe what you want but truth is truth.

Mark G

A-List Customer
Sorry, Martini’s, I’m with Art and Sharpetoys, when I was in Ecuador I saw the Cuenca’s being made. I wanted a Monticristi so I didn’t buy one (couldn’t get there). :eusa_doh:

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
My gawd! Just testing you guys. You are all indeed polite. I guess the smileys I left in my posts weren't hint enough.

Panama hats are of course from Ecuador. I have to bite my tongue when I hear others mention Panama hats are Panamanian, and am just wondering how others would react to the uneducated.

The Canary Islands are indeed named after dogs. The name derives from the Latin word for "canine".

Catgut is not made from the guts of cat. It is made from the intestines of sheep.

This leads us full circle to the thread about Classical Education, an education designed to make individuals worldly. If we substitute the word "Education" for "Knowledge", then it is indeed a great time to be alive. This is because despite the criticism of Wikipedia "scholars," people can actually become knowledgeable about the world with information at our fingertips.

Back on topic, my grandfather in Costa Rica had the nickname "Pitilla". This was because of his fondness for Panama hats. "Pita" is Spanish for straw/reed, so his nickname was "Little Straw". He explained to me that the hats came from Ecuador when I was about 4-yrs. old. I have a nice "Panama" hat myself from Dobbs. However, it's not even from Ecuador.

Cheers,

M8

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Thanks folks. As I mentioned in one of my other threads, though I am not very "vintage", I sure like the way this crowd behaves. The lot of you tend to be polite, and educated, and with the group here and over at Andy's, I have come to the opinion that folks who pursue sartorial excellence tend to be an educated, courteous, and well read lot.

Cheers,

M8

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Gee Whiz

I would really like to have a sweat sewn in my Panama (Ecuador ). I take it that Art is up to the task along with some others. I have emailed Optimo and suspect they would be good. Art? Art? are you out there also. I thought you only did new hats. YOU ARE THE MAN, but I dont wish to be a nuisance if you dont want this type of business.

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Well. Lets see

I am still wanting to have a sweat sewn in my mid-low grade Monicristi Hat. I have PM'd Art, no reply. I assume he's not interested. Any one else have any ideas? Seriously. I am usually fairly handy at things, but I dont think I'm up to this one. Anyone out there??? Just PM me or something, I'm not hard to get along with normally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko