Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panamas on Rainy Days?

1OldGI

Familiar Face
I've read in various places that Panama hats are a poor choice for rainy days. Should I switch to a wool felt hat on rainy days? Will exposure to rain ruin a Panama?

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wore my panamas for years in FL. However, you run the risk of ruining your hat. Humidity will not damage a panama. Rain storms will definitely cause damage. :eek:

Just exercise due care and you will be just fine. ;) :)

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Hey, 1OldGI,

I've been told by good authority here that the Panama straws will suffer brim deformation if rained on.

Note, that this is particularly harmful to the finer grades of Panama hats - the real high priced, high weave numbers. Those hats are almost like linen; very pliable and cloth-like in feel. I believe the medium grade hats with a little more 'body' to them are more practical in general and may also be a little more resilient to getting slightly wet. I say this because although I haven't worn one of mine in the rain, I do use water (spreading it on the brim until wet right through) to shape my Panamas and have actually straightened 'em out this way, not ruined them.

So, as I enter into Florida's rainy season, I'm going to keep wearing mine. I'm not going to worry that much about some sprinkles and as soon as I can duck into cover, I'll wipe them off and then keep an eye on the shape they're in as they dry. I think that a real drenching could be damaging but I'll risk a few drops here and there.

G'luck!

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HarpPlayerGene made an excellent point!!!!!!!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I have to be in Florida June/July on some business. I will not be bring my nice Montecristis or even my nice Cuencas. I will be wearing my Stetson Center Dent. Nice Cuenca, but, expendable compared to my others. ;) :)

skyvue said:
...Sunbody straw hats withstand all the water you can throw at them and ask for more....
Yep, Palm leaf hats & Panamas are 2 totally different animals. Palm leafs are no worse for wear when soaked, very unlike Panamas or Bangora & other type straws. Palm Leafs also weigh many times more than the others too.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
To echo others (and myself, from other subjects): straw has a tendency to absorb moisture and puff up. As a result, the hat loses its shape (which is all important, in fedoras).

Wool fedoras aren't super great in rain either. If you are hell bent on wearing a hat in the rain, go fur felt. Even better would be to get a hat like the Stetson Andes, or a poplin flat cap treated for rain.

You may also purchase hat covers. These work well, and can usually be found at a local western wear store for a couple of dollars.

Best choice out of them all is BK's. Get an umbrella.

Goose.

Practically Family
Carlisle Blues said:
HarpPlayerGene made an excellent point!!!!!!!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I have to be in Florida June/July on some business. I will not be bring my nice Montecristis or even my nice Cuencas. I will be wearing my Stetson Center Dent. Nice Cuenca, but, expendable compared to my others. ;) :)
Oh yeah...HPG & CB said it well. But here's my two centavos of experience:
I had on a BBB Fino, Beano, or something "O" that I was wearing on the Big Island. All was well with the humidity for several days. Then I hit some rain. Looked like a jungle boonie hat soon afterwards. Fixed it up, but certainly couldn't wear it w/o looking goofy after not even the first five minutes of rain.

Started to take my Stetson Center Dent (as the Blues dude said). Worked ok. Kind of limp...but none worse for wear after a few rains.

I would take one of my plasticohato Akubra Carpricorn lids http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=771937&postcount=68 next time I go "home"...if there is ever a next time :(

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I would add that some 'beater Panamas' are not Panamas at all but rather, they are Shantung (paper yarn) weaves. I imagine that these may be particularly susceptible to permanent damage if gotten wet.

Also, when I have intentionally wet my Panama straws to reshape them, I don't just let them set around wet, I work the shape as it dries. Sometimes I even press the damp brim with an iron on a low setting and with a damp handkerchief between the hat and the iron. I also employ a hairdryer on a low setting to dry the hat while I am coaxing it into shape. Then, I set it upside down for the final drying out but by then it hardly needs it. If the straw swells when I wet it, I cannot tell. When I have finished drying the hat it is no different in the straw thickness than before.

I am curious about what methods are used to actually re-block and reshape Panamas by the professionals. Do they use water? Perhaps Art Fawcett or Panama Bob will weigh in. To me, water seems to be the natural and works for, not against, me even after a hat has come into my possession in a wildly deformed state. Also, I have seen Panamas which have spent years rolled into crinkled wads, full of creases and are otherwise utterly formless, which have then been reshaped into beautiful examples. I wonder; are most of us afraid of wet Panama hats because we have seen it distort them but are unaware that it can actually be used to our advantage?

(EDIT/ADDED THIS:) I still do not consider Panama straws of any grade to be suitable rain hats but I personally do not think of water as being the end of them. If any of yours get wet and are 'ruined' please send them to me for disposal, fellas. WINK, WINK.

Before Water lol (as my latest Panama arrived from Ebay seller):
DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

After water :eek: :
DSC_0018.jpg

OddSteve

Familiar Face
Has anyone tried to apply some waterproofing spray (don't know exactly what it's called, but I guess you know what I mean) on a panama hat?

Maybe that would prevent water from pemetrating the straw...

leo

One of the Regulars
If I plan to be in enough rain to need the GoreTex, I keep the panamas at home and throw on the Tilley TH4. Nearly indestructable.

Actually, my Nathaniel's Outback Explorer is supposed to be pretty good in the rain, but I have yet to wear it in a downpour.

Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto