Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pants Recommendations?

ortega76

Practically Family
Looking for a recommendation for some rugged or heavy duty pants that would pass in a casual office. I sell class 6-8 trucks (box trucks to semis) and most of my day is on an office but I'm always climbing up into and around trucks. I've ruined a couple pairs of pants already. I've settled for Dickies work pants but they aren't exactly ideal for the office and I can't wear blue or black denim.

Any thoughts? I figured workers in the past looked good while working pretty hard.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Looking for a recommendation for some rugged or heavy duty pants that would pass in a casual office. I sell class 6-8 trucks (box trucks to semis) and most of my day is on an office but I'm always climbing up into and around trucks. I've ruined a couple pairs of pants already. I've settled for Dickies work pants but they aren't exactly ideal for the office and I can't wear blue or black denim.

Any thoughts? I figured workers in the past looked good while working pretty hard.
Orvis and LL Bean both sell corduroy pants that will last you and that you could wear around the office. They're also way more comfortable than Dickies.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
For price , material , comfort , and longevity , I like Cabela's aged Khakis , but Filson and Orvis have some quality and much more expensive pants , if money is no object . The Cabela's will wrinkle from sitting , starch will help , but shortens the life expectancy . But boy they are comfortable , and for the quality , you can't beat the price . I'll put them up against anything LLBean sells , and they're way better and less expensive . Just get better with age .

basbol13

A-List Customer
You don't say what the climate is like? But look at
Orvis and LL Bean both sell corduroy pants that will last you and that you could wear around the office. They're also way more comfortable than Dickies.

You don't mention the climate, but the best all around material is wool. You may say wool is for cold weather, but actually it's an all around all year fabric. It's fire retardant, you don't freeze when it gets wet and it looks great. In the "old days" baseball uniforms were made out of wool because it's pretty much indestructible if you get a good brand, also harder to pick up stains.
WOOLRICH Heavy Wool Blend Loden Hunting Pants

GHT

I'll Lock Up

That's been my working life too, although not sales but management. I ran various distribution centres for various companies which is why I knew your colloquialism: boxes & semis. I'm retired officially, but at the moment I'm helping out, it's a long story. In my day, suit, collar and tie was the norm. There was a gents outfitters that I bought a couple of suits a year from, always in the sales. I found a poly/wool mix to be very durable, the suits had to stand up to dusty warehouses, truck and van road dirt and. like you, in and out of cabs. The suits wore well, stayed smart and were presentable enough to see clients and attend meetings, but I always replaced them every year.

ortega76

Practically Family
That's been my working life too, although not sales but management. I ran various distribution centres for various companies which is why I knew your colloquialism: boxes & semis. I'm retired officially, but at the moment I'm helping out, it's a long story. In my day, suit, collar and tie was the norm. There was a gents outfitters that I bought a couple of suits a year from, always in the sales. I found a poly/wool mix to be very durable, the suits had to stand up to dusty warehouses, truck and van road dirt and. like you, in and out of cabs. The suits wore well, stayed smart and were presentable enough to see clients and attend meetings, but I always replaced them every year.

We are encouraged to keep it business casual. In fact, the boss expressly forbids ties and prefers we wear polo shirts or business casual button downs. My default "uniform" is khaki pants, a button down shirt and a sweater or sweater vest. Being on a gravel lot, I prefer boots (polished) to shoes. We are in Chicago so we get all manner of weather.

Thanks for the recs!

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
I want to put this in about Filson Pants , the Khaki variety . They have two types of basically dry , not waxed , cotton pants that I know of : The Dry Shelter Cloth Pants which don't need breaking in , AND the Fenimore 'Heavy Duty' Khaki Pants that do need breaking in (almost indestructible) , but these will probably outlast you , and get better and better as they age . I think the colors are called Camel , and Forest Green . ... the Dry Shelter Cloth Pants have bachelor buttons for suspenders , the Fenimore Pants don't .

regius

looking also to get a pair of oil finished tin pants from Filson, wondering how it'll break in. It must be lined, otherwise I'll be drudging in wet pants!

regius

what intrigues me is where does Ralph Lauren RRL source materials, can't be all from Japan. I'm wearing a pair of cargo trousers, with pre-oxidized copper buttons, leather pull, oxidized nickle Talon, and the fabric is stiff a starched-ish. It's really nice, and I wonder where they got the materials from. RRL are expensive probably because the same design is not always offered from year to year (this cargo pants is from 2014), therefore each year, they custom order hardwares and fabric, get it made dirt cheap in China (good craftsmanship though), and retail at high mark up. The price comes from material and brand, I suppose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points