Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paris fashion advice..thankyou

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
Hi

I'm off to Paris for a week this month and I'd love some advice about what to pack- I don't want to look like a typical tourist. My sister and Mother are comming too but they are packing trainers, hoodies, backpacks and kagools, which really is'nt me. Since it's Paris I'd like to make an effort to look chic even if we are just walking around the tourist attractions.. so any wardrobe advice would be more than welcome.

Thanks

Trish

Foofoogal

Banned
Just like anywhere else clothing styles vary. I would make a point to wear comfortable clothing and shoes especially. Trains, buses and lots of walking.
Whatever you do don't miss the Louvre. It is the main thing I loved about Paris.
I could easily spend a month there.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
My mum lived in Paris for a while in the sixties, as did i for a few months when i was in my twenties. All i can say is, those parisien women seem to nail that efortless chic thing, and i myself had a bit of angst about it if i remember correctly, but i just followed my Mum's advice which was: Keep it simple, relaxed and elegant, don't try too hard, it's a question of what you feel comfortable in, and of course considerations like weather, temperature, the fact you will be traipsing around etc. Perhaps a trench coat, ballet pumps or some brogues if you are going to be walking alot, simple sweaters and trousers or skirts in neutral colours perhaps. I always stick to that style. Easier on the packing. Plain black dress for evening. Decent pair of sunglasses and a small umbrella. The pictures of my mum in the sixties are great as she was a beatnik girl, stripy tees, duffelcoat, ballet shoes, capri pants, chuffing away on a gauloise, although she didn't really smoke, haha, her icons were Juliette Greco and Jane Birkin. Both very stylish in my books. Worth a look for some inspiration. I hope this is of some help. I' m jealous, Paris is beautiful x

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
Thanks so much- that did help.

My Mum used to be a beatnik too. She gave me some of here clothes she had kept when I was about 16- I loved them, till I lost them whilst staying over with friends!

Miss sofia

One Too Many
oh i'm feeling your pain, i bet they were lovely things too, i love that look, in fact i had debated trying to get some wool breton tops for the winter as i think they look great with cigarette pants. I can do the beatnik expression of existential angst quite well, but i'll skip the gauloise! x

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Great tips Miss Sofia! I'm heading back down to the south of France in October and I think the weather should still be quite nice so capri pants, skinny cigarette pants (got a great pair in Zara today) and stripey tees sound like just the ticket!

SugarKitten

One of the Regulars
Thanks all! This thread could not be better timed - I'll be there in October, and I really really want to avoid looking like a clueless tourist. I haven't been able to find a pair of cigarette pants I'm happy with, but I'll try to stick to the others, and maybe I can fake it!

Everyone have fun on their own trips -we obviously should have coordinated better and we could have all had a coffee together!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Ooh! I wish I was going!
We were there last year and I wore mostly wide leg pants (in linen and in narrow cordoroy) with button down short sleeve shirts and cardigans. I had a somewhat tailored looking blazer I threw on over everything for evenings. It was mostly warm when we were there (august of last year) so it worked well, but the cardigans came in handy for museums as they were cooler inside.
Oh, and comfy shoes! Paris is very walkable and we trekked all over. I think I wore navy keds with gelled insoles. In the last few years I heard that white tennis shoes spot you as an American, but maybe it's not that way anymore. In a magazine from 1939 it said that navy blue spotted you as an American, so I guess it doesn't really matter.lol
Have fun!

Veronica

New in Town
I think I can give you a few tips ^^

Just keep your wardrobe simple, comfy and chic, choose basics and add you own touch with accessories :

For exemple : trench coat, denim jean (dark blue) (boy friend jeans are very hype but dangerous because you can crash the good look very easily), a Levi's 501 is always a good investment. Ballerinas (Repetto-like) or used-Converse shoes. A big bowl handbag to hang on your shoulder and put everything you need.

Nike/Adidas, backpacks, caps are definitely for American tourists and English girls are given away by too short shirts on too low and small jeans (= bumpy belly/hips) : French only allow this style if the girl is slim, no bump allowed,not at all. ( The thinner, the better...)

The weather is a little bit fresher now so a cardigan or a can be a good idea.

The real secret of Parisiennes is not clothes but Attitude.

Be cool, detached, a little bit condecending and annoyed by life and you will have it. :rolleyes:

( Parisiens have a quite bad reputation outside of Paris...because of that unfriendly attitude)

MissHannah

One Too Many
I was in Paris in June and I got a lot of appreciation for my vintage wear. As a city it has quite a vintage identity - all the postcards are black and white or Doisneau shots. It was super-hot when we were there and I had to dress fairly practically as a result. But I dressed up fully whenever I got the chance!

4697510252_3460691a24.jpg

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
MissHannah said:
I was in Paris in June and I got a lot of appreciation for my vintage wear. As a city it has quite a vintage identity - all the postcards are black and white or Doisneau shots. It was super-hot when we were there and I had to dress fairly practically as a result. But I dressed up fully whenever I got the chance!

4697510252_3460691a24.jpg

Wow! You look amazing! It's like a Norman Parkinson shoot!

Tell me though - did you walk a lot in your peeptoes or did you have alternative comfy footwear for strolling around? I tend to a lot of walking on holiday so usually ballerina flats are the order of the day.....

Ada Vice

One of the Regulars
Veronica said:
I think I can give you a few tips ^^

Just keep your wardrobe simple, comfy and chic, choose basics and add you own touch with accessories :

For exemple : trench coat, denim jean (dark blue) (boy friend jeans are very hype but dangerous because you can crash the good look very easily), a Levi's 501 is always a good investment. Ballerinas (Repetto-like) or used-Converse shoes. A big bowl handbag to hang on your shoulder and put everything you need.

Nike/Adidas, backpacks, caps are definitely for American tourists and English girls are given away by too short shirts on too low and small jeans (= bumpy belly/hips) : French only allow this style if the girl is slim, no bump allowed,not at all. ( The thinner, the better...)

The weather is a little bit fresher now so a cardigan or a can be a good idea.

The real secret of Parisiennes is not clothes but Attitude.

Be cool, detached, a little bit condecending and annoyed by life and you will have it. :rolleyes:

( Parisiens have a quite bad reputation outside of Paris...because of that unfriendly attitude)

mmmm and Parisian men are not afraid to show their delight at seeing midriff. I was in a bar where my friends live in Palais de l'Élysée and when I took my coat off flashed some hip bone as my top had ridden up, the look I got made me blush for the first time in years, I literally felt the man 'undressed me' with his eyes :eek: lol

Just be chic and comfy, take a good base wardrobe and some nice scarves to jazz it up, and sunglasses of course.

I love Paris, would love to live there. :( (rent's even more expensive than London though :eusa_doh: )

Oh and watch out for dog poo...

Miss Hannah looks quite Princess Margaret, and I mean that in a good way!

MissHannah

One Too Many
I absolutely take that in a good way!! Young Princess Margo was gorgeous!

I found Parisiennes to be really friendly and helpful - perhaps they respond better to vintage people than 'normals'! lol My french is pretty bad but they seemed to appreciate that I made an effort unlike a lot of the tourists.

I didn't wear heels the whole time - there are a lot of cobbles in Paris so it got uncomfortable quickly. I wore low-ish wedges most of the time for comfort. My feet did get quite mangled from so much walking in hot weather though. If you can bear to wear something flat and supportive I'd recommend it!

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Ada Vice said:
Miss Hannah looks quite Princess Margaret, and I mean that in a good way!

Princess Margaret always looked amazing - her wardrobe was incredible - I particularly loved the dress she had with the lobster painted on it by Dali.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I totally agree with you Miss Golightly, I think both Miss Hannah and Princess M, were very stylish and elegant, with a dash of playfullness, which i always think is the key ingredient to looking really good.:eek:fftopic: I always remember reading in Marianne Faithfull's book that she went and met Princess M, for tea at a mutual friends house, and obviously the princess clocked that Marianne looked a bit crestfallen as Princess M received her in the usual country house attire of tweeds and a twinset, so she nipped upstairs and got all her finery on, emeralds and a tiara, fancy gown, so as not to disappoint, and then they had a jolly nice chit chat haha. Made me love Princess M heaps for that!

OneAndOnly

Familiar Face
Florence

:eek:fftopic: Girls I'm gonna annoy you now with a request for what to wear in Florence! I'm heading off in about 10 days and am not sure what to bring! I have to admit I'm very touristy when on holiday and will be doing all the churches, galleries and museums...anyway I know that shoulders and legs must be covered when entering a church (out of respect if nothing else) so I was wondering what to bring!

Miss Golighty I see that you got a pair of cigarette pants in Zara...are they nice on, and comfortable?

My work place has changed recently (literally over the last few days) so I've lots of new stock now to look at :) Anyway if anyone can pick anything out of this lot that looks vintage-y I'd really appreciate it! We haven't got everything just yet (we're only opening today) but I'll take any suggestion!

Thanks girls! x

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
OneAndOnly said:
:eek:fftopic: Girls I'm gonna annoy you now with a request for what to wear in Florence! I'm heading off in about 10 days and am not sure what to bring! I have to admit I'm very touristy when on holiday and will be doing all the churches, galleries and museums...anyway I know that shoulders and legs must be covered when entering a church (out of respect if nothing else) so I was wondering what to bring!

Miss Golighty I see that you got a pair of cigarette pants in Zara...are they nice on, and comfortable?

My work place has changed recently (literally over the last few days) so I've lots of new stock now to look at :) Anyway if anyone can pick anything out of this lot that looks vintage-y I'd really appreciate it! We haven't got everything just yet (we're only opening today) but I'll take any suggestion!

Thanks girls! x

Miss Sofia - That is the cutest story! And I quite agree that Miss Hannah and PM are cut from the same glam cloth!

OneAndOnly - Yes - the cigge pants I got in Zara are very comfy and were the grand sum of €25! There were another pair in the window with a straighter leg that were €45 but they didn't have my size - would heartily recommend the pair I got - they'll go with tons and like I said are very comfy!

I was in Florence a few years ago at the height of Summer - cute flats and pretty dresses with cardigans would be perfect if the weather is still hot - not sure what the weather will be like when you go though.....

Puzzicato

One Too Many
OneAndOnly said:

I wore wedge heel sandals, cigarette pants and tshirts, or a wrap dress. I was there at this time of year and it was HOT. I was just wearing a dusting of powder foundation and some mascara, couldn't do a full face of makeup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch