Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paris Hatters, San Antonio - and the Stratoliner

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I was in San Antonio for the WSU-Notre Dame game on Oct. 31, and stopped into one of my favorite old hat stores, Paris Hatters. It's only a couple of blocks from the Alamo downtown. During a brief chat, the owner said he's the 2.5 generation running the store since his dad is still alive. The store deals with mid-priced inventory in the dress line, and a lot of straw hats of various types. He also has a substantial Stetson western section, as befits a San Antonio store.

He mentioned while chatting that he'd been to a Stetson retailers meeting and Stetson says they're going to re-issue the Stratoliner, :eusa_clap along with a couple of other classic models. The Whippet is evidently not one of them.

At any rate, it will be interesting to see if this happens! :D

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Pilgrim said:
... Stetson says they're going to re-issue the Stratoliner, :eusa_clap along with a couple of other classic models. The Whippet is evidently not one of them.

At any rate, it will be interesting to see if this happens! :D

I hope the Strat is true too the traditional dimensions and not just name only as in the {current Whippet offering :mad: }.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
CRH said:
I hope the Strat is true too the traditional dimensions and not just name only as in the {current Whippet offering :mad: }.

His recollection was that they would keep the proportions. This seems likely to me, as the Strat is closer to today's brim preference than the wider-brimmed Whippet.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Pilgrim said:
His recollection was that they would keep the proportions. This seems likely to me, as the Strat is closer to today's brim preference than the wider-brimmed Whippet.

Vintage Whippets and Stratoliners were both offered in a wide range of brim sizes. Neither model was regularized in this respect. Both models could have brims anywhere from 2 1/4 inches or so up to around 2 3/4 inches.

RBH

Bartender
zetwal said:
Vintage Whippets and Stratoliners were both offered in a wide range of brim sizes. Neither model was regularized in this respect. Both models could have brims anywhere from 2 1/4 inches or so up to around 2 3/4 inches.
Thats so true...
What I hope is Stetson keeps the crown in proportion to the brim.
Vintage proportion ! :D
The lower, tapered crowns just will not make a great hat.
I dont think an open crown hat would have to be. Although it would be nice.
But a nice c-crown crease with enough crown would be the ticket.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
RBH said:
Thats so true...
What I hope is Stetson keeps the crown in proportion to the brim.
Vintage proportion ! :D
The lower, tapered crowns just will not make a great hat.
I dont think an open crown hat would have to be. Although it would be nice.
But a nice c-crown crease with enough crown would be the ticket.

That argument gets my vote!

DougC

Practically Family
I love Paris Hatters--the office building across the street from the store is where my new office is. In fact, I was in the store on the same day as you; bought a new Stetson Open Road. Send me a note next time you're in town.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
CRH said:

I hope so too. I know what they did to the Playboy, it went from this
IMG_20060630_0001_1.jpg

to this
uglyplayboy.jpg

fedoralover.

My apologies to anyone who likes the stingy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk