Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paris In The Roaring Twenties

GHT

I'll Lock Up
You might enjoy this short movie of Paris in the 1920's featuring the famous Josephine Baker. Filmed before sound technology, it is amusing to see the famous cancan finale without sound.

One of the most famous landmarks of 1920s Paris, the original Shakespeare and Company which was at 12 rue de l'Odeon from 1922 to 1941.

Shakespeare and Company's first location at 8 rue Dupuytren (1919-22)
shakespeareco.jpg

8 rue Dupuytren today
NZDHy9v.jpg

12 rue de l'Odeon (1922-41)
Sylvia+Beach+diante+da+Shakespeare+and+Company.jpg

1730.jpg

tumblr_lhfwid2jK61qa3j5zo1_5001.jpeg

hemshakesa.jpg

Last edited:

redlinerobert

One of the Regulars
One of the most famous landmarks of 1920s Paris, the original Shakespeare and Company which was at 12 rue de l'Odeon from 1922 to 1941.

Shakespeare and Company's first location at 8 rue Dupuytren (1919-22)
shakespeareco.jpg

8 rue Dupuytren today
NZDHy9v.jpg

12 rue de l'Odeon (1922-41)
Sylvia+Beach+diante+da+Shakespeare+and+Company.jpg

1730.jpg

tumblr_lhfwid2jK61qa3j5zo1_5001.jpeg

hemshakesa.jpg

Maybe when I retire I'll open up a book store and have a little bar in there as well. I love old pictures like this.

HadleyH1

One Too Many
Hem at Shakespeare and Company

"On the night of 4 March he had gone to the bathroom at his flat in the rue Férou and yanked what he thought was the lavatory chain down on top of him, only to find it was the cord of the skylight..it splipped Hemingway's head open,needing nine stitches."

Sylvia Beach looking at him adoringly LOL in front of her library -1920s Paris

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great thread!

This was recommended to me, although I have not ordered it yet (I have a bit of a reading backlog.)
Definitely on my list. It could be argued that at least part of the reason that I live in Vienna is that I fell in love with the whole “American Expat scene in Paris in the 20s” when I was a romantic youth.

https://www.amazon.com/When-Paris-S...it-20&linkId=3cc62364b1759f2b7417b1e0479ae936

I was very excited when I got this book and really wanted to love it, but came away mixed. It's a bit plodding and its narrative skips around a lot - from this persons to that, this moment to that without a lot of transition or (to my mind) logic. I've found I enjoy it more reading it in small bits, but still, overall, not an engaging read, just okay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112