Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pasadena Hat Shop

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
Hey Gang
I met a fellow this weekend who had great things to say about a hat shop in Pasadena CA.
It's on Colorado Blvd.
Any one have any experience with them?
Sorry I dont know the name.
It is down Colorado on the opposite end from the freeway.
Thanks
Jim

J.B.

Practically Family
Would you like a Flappacheeno while you wait?!

The one I usually think of in Pasadena is:

World Hats Mart
(James Kwon, proprietor)
444 E. Colorado Blvd.
(Southeast corner of Colorado & Los Robles?)

I stop in usually once a year to just be "at one" with a bunch of hats.

Sort of a "meh" shopping experience. Owner and his wife are a nice older couple with limited communication skills in English. He pretty much always shows up late to work and I highly recommend standing in possibly the world's longest Starbucks queue just down the street to kill some major time whilst you wait for Mr. Kwon to negotiate Pasadena's traffic and finally open up his shop!

No one knows hats from halos. He just sits and reads an Asian newspaper while you do the lookin' and tryin' on. Huge selection of wool hats, straws hats, costume hats, lame hats, mediocre hats, women's hats, and much of what we as Loungers are lukewarm on. No high-end stuff.

J.B.: "Hi Mr. Kwon! Do you have an Open Road I could try on?"
Kwon: "Unngh. What Open Road is?"
J.B.: "It's a Stetson hat. Sort of cowboy-looking."
Kwon: "Unnnngh." (continues reading newspaper.)

I did pick up a nice boater there a few years ago, and I will say that it's a blast to see that many hats all situate in one place. I do plan to break down and buy a new Dobbs straw there for Straw Hat Day this spring!

Doh!

One Too Many
Because you're in the L.A. area, do yourself a favor and go see Sal over at Hollywood Hatters (on Melrose just east of La Brea). The guy knows his hats.

My last purchase was a month ago: I was looking for a wide-ish brimmed, fur pork pie but those aren't readily available. Sal sold me an unpinched Dobbs and had it reblocked into a pork pie at no extra charge. I couldn't be happier.

http://www.hollywoodhatters.com/contact.php

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
I was in there last weekend for the, oh, I don't know, fifth or sixth time. I always go in with such high expectations, really wanting to buy a hat. Unfortunately, EVERY time I've gone I've either walked out with a hat I regret buying or nothing at all. This last time was no different. Just when you think you've found a gem (i.e. an open crown Borso in sand, this time) it turns out that it is either a one of a kind or an old stock item of which there are no more in my size. That, and then there's the pricing. I was looking at a Stetson Downs marked $135. When I got home I did some comparison shopping and found the same hat online for $90.

You know, sometimes it's just nice to go to a hat shop - I know that. But, in my estimation, World Hats just isn't a very good one. Take D'oh's advice - head on over to Hollywood Hatters. Sal is in the process of moving (just down the block) and lord knows what kind of treasures he'll find while packing up that jammed stock room of his!

The last time I went, I sorted thru a bunch of fedoras looking for a fur felt and simply could not find any in a style I liked. I did however pick up a couple of newsboy caps last fall I think. The selection is big on wool felt, and you can try on some things for an idea but it just doesn't offer a lot these days.

I boutght a Stetson Sovreign there about 8 (+?) years ago and that was a pretty good purchase, but lately, their selection is only so-so.

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
Well, I broke my own rule and went back to Barrons hats.
I have an Open Road that needs a little work.
I dont know if they changed owners or what but I was greeted by a guy named Gunner Fox.
This guy was so helpful.
It was an entirely different experience from my last one. Which I swore would be my last. It's hard to resist when they are right down the street from me.

Still not impressed with the quality of fedoras they have in the show room. Although the western hats are pretty nice.

Might have to take a run down to hollywood when I'm looking for a new hat.

I'm getting a new Sweat band, having the liner sewn in and a new ribbon.
I'll keep you all posted on how the hat comes out.

Jim

Doh!

One Too Many
Mr. Lucky said:
You know, sometimes it's just nice to go to a hat shop - I know that. But, in my estimation, World Hats just isn't a very good one. Take D'oh's advice - head on over to Hollywood Hatters. Sal is in the process of moving (just down the block) and lord knows what kind of treasures he'll find while packing up that jammed stock room of his!

Mr. Lucky, I didn't know he was moving! Will he still be on Melrose or...? Hopefully, it's bigger digs. I love his shop, but if more than 2 customers are present, it's "Excuse me/pardon me/excuse me."

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Doh! said:
Mr. Lucky, I didn't know he was moving! Will he still be on Melrose or...? Hopefully, it's bigger digs. I love his shop, but if more than 2 customers are present, it's "Excuse me/pardon me/excuse me."
He'll be, literally, five doors down - a bit east of where he is - with a LOT more room.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk