Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Passing Indy's Hat

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
I didn’t take it as passing on the hat. When Indy grabbed it out of Mutt’s hands it was more like, “not so fast Jr.” playing on all the prerelease speculation.

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
Serial Hero said:
I didn’t take it as passing on the hat. When Indy grabbed it out of Mutt’s hands it was more like, “not so fast Jr.” playing on all the prerelease speculation.
Yep, that's the way I took it too. I thought it was quite clear that Indy wasn't giving up just yet.

That said, I would love to see another movie with Indy, Marion, and Mutt. Although now that they have covered "Chariots of the Gods" I can't imagine what they would do next. What would be a good early 1960's subject for an Indy movie?

ET

One of the Regulars
Early 60s subjects -Cold War -Cuban Missile Crisis - antecedents of the Vietnam War- Bay of Pigs- Hungary and Czechoslovakia invasions by Soviet Russia, Cypress War between Turkey and Greece- Yom Kippur/ 6 Day War - lots of interesting history in the 60s that the baby boomers ignored for the Beatles and the Rolling Stones. Perfect material to be twisted into another Indy movie, much of which resonates today.

Akubra Man

One of the Regulars
Perhaps it is time to for Harrison Ford to retire from the role ...

I am not surprised at Harrison Ford's comments. Indy is his character and Indy and the hat are inseparable. I think Harrison Ford will always be Indiana Jones but I would prefer a new actor take over the role of Indy much along the lines of the James Bond franchise. A younger actor could take the franchise story lines back in time to the WWII era rather than having to move forward in time with an aging Harrison Ford. People have their favorite Bond and they could have a favorite Indy.

My vote for the next actor to play Indy is Russell Crowe. He would be a harder edged Indiana Jones but still have the wry sense of humor .... Indiana Jones and the search for the fountain of youth ... a race against time and the Nazis for the source.

Just a thought.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Possible titles for Indiana Jones V:

The War on Poverty

The Assassin's Bullet - IJ vs. Lee Harvey Oswald

Turn that Noise Down!

This Horse is So Dead

Edward

Bartender
Mahagonny Bill said:
Yep, that's the way I took it too. I thought it was quite clear that Indy wasn't giving up just yet.

That said, I would love to see another movie with Indy, Marion, and Mutt. Although now that they have covered "Chariots of the Gods" I can't imagine what they would do next. What would be a good early 1960's subject for an Indy movie?

Me three. I don't think they could get away with another big screen release.... they'd have to set it later to use ford, and that doesn't 'feel' right to me. Indy is from a bygone age, 60s is too recent, really. I do think that if they did it well - with good writing, rather than a cheap cash-in - a TV show covering Indy's adventures during WW2 could be a lot of fun. I would visualise an older Indy, maybe, telling his grandkids (great-grandkids??) about 'what I did in the war'.... the main story going on in flashback (c/f the way in which the original Sinbad stories were presented - at least the version I read). Another actor would, of course, play Indy. Tell you who I'd like to see have a crack at it: Christian Slater. Maybe not the most obvious choice, but he has the air of the swashbuckler, the maverick, and that devil may care smile and humour that I believe would work very well. Other option, of course, would be to go for a young unknown who bears a strong resemblence to Ford in the 80s.

A series like that would be an interesting option to explore Jones in something much closer to the spirit of the original seriels that inspired Raiders to begin with.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Edward said:
...a lot of fun. I would visualise an older Indy, maybe, telling his grandkids (great-grandkids??) about 'what I did in the war'.... the main story going on in flashback... A series like that would be an interesting option to explore Jones in something much closer to the spirit of the original seriels that inspired Raiders to begin with.
Have you seen "Young Indiana Jones Chronicles???"
The older Indiana Jones character was ridiculous. Suddenly, because he was old evidently, his speech was litered with these cliches of folksie speech; "I reckon" and all of that. He had somehow lost his education and acumen. He was portrayed as this pathetic bore. It was very sad.
:eusa_doh:

LordBest

Practically Family
Hemingway Jones said:
The older Indiana Jones character was ridiculous. Suddenly, because he was old evidently, his speech was litered with these cliches of folksie speech; "I reckon" and all of that. He had somehow lost his education and acumen. He was portrayed as this pathetic bore. It was very sad.

I agree, I could not stand to watch more than one episode with the old chap in it, and I was only twelve at the time.
I enjoyed IJ-IV, it reminded me of some of the Cold War period comics I found in a shed once (yes, some had aliens), but enough is enough.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Perhaps this is one of the reasons that the new Young Indy DVDs have deleted all the Old Indy framing sequences? (That, and Lucas just can't help endlessly reworking his old productions!)

Actually, I think it's because the NYC-based, circa-1990 Old Indy and his daughter contradicts the recent additions of Mutt and Marion to Indy's latter-day family history. It's no accident that Lucas retconned Old Indy out of the Young Indy series (not to mention retitling the show, resequencing some stories, and tweaking the effects work) while Crystal Skull was in preproduction.

Edward

Bartender
Hemingway Jones said:

I remember watching those on TV years ago and enjoying them, but for the life of me I cannot recall the 'old Indy' character.... osundsl ike this might be one case where Lucas' notorious after-the-fact meddling was actually justifiable?

mike

Call Me a Cab
I think a final installment could basically be Indy in Lost Horizon (or She).

It would be a very poetic send off to let him stay in a lost land to never die.

Throw in a lot of bad CGI and maybe Lucas would sign off on it :p

The Librarian

New in Town
Edward said:
Another actor would, of course, play Indy. Tell you who I'd like to see have a crack at it: Christian Slater. Maybe not the most obvious choice, but he has the air of the swashbuckler, the maverick, and that devil may care smile and humour that I believe would work very well. Other option, of course, would be to go for a young unknown who bears a strong resemblence to Ford in the 80s.

I've been thinking David Boreanaz from Bones and Angel would make a good Indy. Has a good blend of macho action hero and self-depriciating humor.

Marty

pplepic

Familiar Face
Next Indy

I just saw Crystal Skull, and came away with the impression that Indy's new-found son was all set to take over, and Indy can reprise Sean Connery's earlier role as the father and son team. Maybe even the kid's grandfather could join in. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana