Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pattern 1912 or 1918 US Army Winter Service Coat

Daniel

Familiar Face
I was at a thrift store this weekend, looking through endless racks of costumes, when I came across something that looked like a neo-Victorian military stage costume.

Except it wasn't...it was clearly authentic. Fifteen dollars later, I had a WWI-era US Army Winter Service Coat, complete with bronze buttons, and in immaculate condition! There are no tags or stamped markings at all, and I checked inside the pockets, etc. It's either an early Pattern 1912, or a 1918 "secondary standard coat with internal pockets", "manufactured for the American Expeditionary Force (AEF), some in the US and some in Great Britain." For more geeky US Army uniform history, I highly recommend this PDF.

It has neither the single nor double row of stitching to positively identify the 1912 vs. 1917 pattern, but it does have one internal pocket. The lining appears to be either raw silk or linen.

About size 38R, which is my size, but the sleeves are incredibly long. I can roll them internally, however, and it still looks grand. Judging by a top collar button, the original owner was in the 6th Infantry Company, but the Division is unknown.

My oldest thrift store militaria find yet. Sweet!

ww1jacket.jpg

Daniel

Familiar Face
I screwed up, and just realized this post didn't go in this forum. However, it says "You may not edit your posts," so I'm unsure what to do. Moderators, feel free to delete. Sorry.

PaidInFull24

Familiar Face
Hey Daniel,
Awesome find! I love finding stuff like this in the most unexpected places. There are few better feelings in the world than bringing home a nice uniform knowing that you're giving it a better home than it would have had on a hanger mixed in with a bunch of other clothes. And for $15! Great job!
-Nick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk