Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pattern from existing garment - sewing newbie!

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
I've just got a sewing machine for Christmas and am a complete newcomer to sewing. I did a search and could not find an answer to this (possibly idiotic) query: Is is possible to make a repro or pattern of an existing garment without undoing said garment? And if so, how straightforward would it be to do it? If there is an existing thread for this can anyone point me in the right direction? Cheers!

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Thank you so much Swingkitten - it's good to know that it is possible without seeing my favourite dress in component parts! I just have to wait a bit 'til my sewing skills catch up to my ambitiousness! Sites bookmarked for that day!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Ditto. I hate drafting things off of existing garments. In my opinion, I'd rather buy a similar vintage pattern- would probably cost less than my time is worth if I added up hours copying and then muslining it for fit. But that's just me [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana