Pattern from existing garment - sewing newbie!

Discussion in 'The Powder Room' started by bunnyb.gal, Dec 28, 2009.

1. bunnyb.gal

bunnyb.gal Practically Family

I've just got a sewing machine for Christmas and am a complete newcomer to sewing. I did a search and could not find an answer to this (possibly idiotic) query: Is is possible to make a repro or pattern of an existing garment without undoing said garment? And if so, how straightforward would it be to do it? If there is an existing thread for this can anyone point me in the right direction? Cheers!

2. swingkitten85

swingkitten85 Familiar Face

3. bunnyb.gal

bunnyb.gal Practically Family

Thank you so much Swingkitten - it's good to know that it is possible without seeing my favourite dress in component parts! I just have to wait a bit 'til my sewing skills catch up to my ambitiousness! Sites bookmarked for that day!

4. Lady Naiad

Lady Naiad New in Town

Fantastic and good to know. I also need to work on my sewing skills before I attempt this, but as bunnyb.gal said - bookmarked! :)

5. KittyT

KittyT I'll Lock Up

Yeah, this is definitely not something for a beginner to attempt.

6. Lauren

Lauren Distinguished Service Award

Ditto. I hate drafting things off of existing garments. In my opinion, I'd rather buy a similar vintage pattern- would probably cost less than my time is worth if I added up hours copying and then muslining it for fit. But that's just me [huh]