Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Patterson

The_Edge

One of the Regulars
Yes, this is Indy gear related...sorry...

So I'm tromping around the IndyFan vault looking for something else all together when I come across this:

Patterson wrote:

I was able to examination an original jacket from Raiders over the weekend. I examined the jacket as well as the documents certifying its authenticity. I brought along a Wested jacket for comparison, though after owning three, I think I could have done this from memory. Peter even dropped me a hint as to an item I might look for to verify it was one of his. Based on all that I had before me, I believe that this was an authentic article.

He then goes into all the little details he found that differed from his modern day (circa August 2000) Wested. I had not read this information before and found it very interesting. I was amazed at all of the things that Patterson saw on that jacket that are now common place configurations on most of today's Westeds and, especially, the FlightSuits Expedition. I didn't own an Indy jacket, much less a Wested, back in '00 so I took many of the differences for granted.

I then read a reply to his initial post by Patterson that contained this disturbing piece of information:

Patterson wrote:

Personally, I'm actually a little tired of all this. The distribution of my personal email account and the threatening emails I've received over this whole thing this past the weekend are a bit too much.

What?! "Threatening emails?!" This threw me for a loop. I've read a tiny portion of what some folks refer to as "The Jacket Wars" but I was not involved back then and was not a part of that drama. Help me out here then... What the heck about the whole jacket inspection thing would cause Patterson to receive threatening emails. Were they coming from Wested? Were people afraid that Wested would stop offering Indy jackets? Explain to me why so much tension was caused by this.

When I put the above together with little side comments that Patterson has made here and there it seems like his opportunity to see a real 'Raiders' jacket caused a lot of heart ache for him. Maybe it is because I wasn't around then but I'm very much appreciative of Patterson's efforts. I get to enjoy my FS Expo becuase of the measurements he took. So what am I missing here?

Michaelson

One Too Many
Let's just say, there were a LOT of deleted posts, banned individuals and accounts, a LOT of off line emails from folks who thought we were doing the unthinkable by questioning Wested and their patterns at the time. What was SO ironic about the entire affair was the original reason for 2 of the 3 of us even becoming involved in the first place was because there was a constant demand at Indyfan by folks wanting another company to pick up the gauntlet and make a jacket that was based on an actual, original Raiders jacket. Patterson found one, and was instantly attacked! Even with the facts, measurements, and first hand observations IN HAND, he was called a liar and more by folks who only had fuzzy frame grabs from VHS tapes, and photos in book, and all thought his information was wrong . Go figure.

Believe me, the birth of the Expedition was long and brutal. I believe the final results speak for themselves. Todd and Lee have a LOT to be proud of. As for my part? Well, do you remember the name of the man who introduced Dr. Watson to Sherlock Holmes? No? Nobody ever does. Well, that's one of the parts I played in the Expedition story...... Regards. Michaelson ;)

Rundquist

A-List Customer
Even today, many people question the pedigree of the Expedition. I saw Patterson?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s original Expedition a few weeks ago and it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s still the best looking Indy jacket I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ve ever seen. Cheers

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Since i'm a new owner of a Flight Suits Expedition jacket i would like to thank Patterson and the others who helped this truly fine jacket come into being. I tip my hat to all of you.

Sharpetoys

Michaelson

One Too Many
Lee and Patterson would be the best folks to reply to that question. Your jacket came from Lee's original jacket work, and based on measurements and photos he had, where Patterson had access to an actual jacket. I introduced them to each other, inviting them to compare notes, and the rest, as they say, is history. Regards. Michaelson

The_Edge

One of the Regulars
Originally posted by Michaelson
Let's just say, there were a LOT of deleted posts, banned individuals and accounts, a LOT of off line emails from folks who thought we were doing the unthinkable by questioning Wested and their patterns at the time.

Jeez, I still see this happening today just as Rundquist said. Amazing.

Also, Michaelson, your part in the creation of both the Expedition jacket and the Federation hat line has not been forgotten. I, for one, am very thankful because I own and enjoy both these products on a daily basis. Much obliged.

MK wrote:
It should also be said that Todd offered the information to Peter first.....who passed....then offered it to Flight Suits.

This part is very, very interesting ... yet not surprising.

I won't drag this out any further here at the Fedora Lounge. Thanks to everyone for their replies. I'm still very much interested in the history of animosity presented here though. If you have anything you would like to add please don't hesitate to email me.

Captain America

New in Town
Originally posted by Michaelson
As for my part? Well, do you remember the name of the man who introduced Dr. Watson to Sherlock Holmes? No? Nobody ever does. Well, that's one of the parts I played in the Expedition story...... Regards. Michaelson ;)

Perhaps we should call you "young Stamford".;)

patterson

One of the Regulars
Michaelson is, as always, being very humble. During the entire affair, he acted as my sounding board and general "voice of reason". It seems like a lot more than 3 years ago.

The whole evolution of the thing was on a very grand scale identical to so many other skirmishes over what are really insignificant differences of opinion. I was naive enough to think that people would embrace facts. It served, however, to threaten people's comfort in a set of beliefs - ignoring the inconsistencies staring them squarely in the face.

Some even tried to grab a piece of the spotlight for no other perceivable reason than ego, i.e. they had nothing to do with the work but wanted attention. Based on subsequent events, it appeared that this later group was at the root of the threats and other stupid behavior toward me personally.

In the end, it is just a jacket - but it is one I was proud to be a part of, along with some people I will always count among my friends.

Ken

A-List Customer
People in general are always afraid of change. Imagine back in time when 'lunatics' suggested the world was round. Who was about to rewrite all the textbooks just because some people had that silly idea in their head?

Its the same principle I think. Nowadays we would criticise such outright scepticism yet as in this instance, it still exists, and for similar reasons.

Revoutionary change is always desitned to be oppossed - otherwise it wouldnt be revolutionary.

Many thanks to everyone who was involved. If the true history of how we got to where we are today in this hobby were ever to be chronicled, it would make for some very interesting reading.

Ken

patterson

One of the Regulars
Originally posted by Ken
If the true history of how we got to where we are today in this hobby were ever to be chronicled, it would make for some very interesting reading.

Ken

It would at that - but might be a bit like taking a backstage tour at a sausage factory! (grin)

You would see little details in the gear that represent a lot of blood, sweat, and tears - as well as swags and compromises. My efforts have been relegated to the last 4 years, and there I am just a pup! Lee and Michaelson have been at it much longer, and I would defer to them. I come in during the last couple of chapters. I know Michaelson has the writer's touch, and would get my vote for official Scribe to compile "The Chronicles of IndyGear". Then again, he'd just be opening himself up to the very same criticism we discussed here from those who remember things differently...

The_Edge

One of the Regulars
You're being a bit too humble yourself, Patterson.

I love my FS Expedition. Yes, I'm using the word love here. I have never owned a better jacket. It's my second skin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points