Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PATTON ON AMC CABLE - 8PM EDT

Katt in Hat

A-List Customer
Fun Filled Factoid For Fedora Fellows & Gals

As Patton was very wealthy and something of a dandy, the costumer was astute enough to outfit the General with an outer garment, seen very near the beginning, which had a
Burberry lining! :D

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Nova Check or The Burberry check is the official name of the Burberry Plaid, in case anyone was curious for whatever reason anyone would ever need to know such an arcane item of trivia. :eusa_doh:

"Patton" is one of my favorite films and I never tire of it. I watch it often whenever I need a boost. :)

Katt in Hat

A-List Customer
One Stores Up Many "Useless" Facts When One Is Truly Interested in a Subject.

Hemingway Jones said:
Nova Check or The Burberry check is the official name of the Burberry Plaid, in case anyone was curious for whatever reason anyone would ever need to know such an arcane item of trivia. :eusa_doh:
( small snip here)

Here on FL we've been able to learn about buttons, bows, French perfume, hi silk hose, and did I say buttons and bows? Felt, high armholes, belted back, 507 MASH, Kentuckey Sour Mash... Just look at what we cover here!

When we really get into a subject our knowledge accumulates, widens and deepens. We do need to know more and more. We love it!

Let's vamoose where gals keep usin'
Those silks and satins and linen that shows
And I'm all yours in buttons and bows
Gimme eastern trimmin' where women are women
In high silk hose and peek-a-boo clothes
And French perfume that rocks the room
And I'm all yours in buttons and bows.

1948 - "Buttons and Bows" from The Paleface
Music and lyric by Ray Evans and Jay Livingston

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Last Days of Patton

Feraud said:
Patton is a great film. I like his reaction to the solider suffering from battle fatigue.
Has anyone seen The Last Days of Patton? Is it any good? I have it on dvd but have not had the chance to watch it.

Not really. Patton died a bed-ridden paraplegic, with pneumonia fate's
comic bullet. George C. Scott reprised his Oscar-winning role, and
gave a capable performance, but the film-as-sequel-epilogue falls short.

Feraud

Bartender
Harp said:
Not really. Patton died a bed-ridden paraplegic, with pneumonia fate's
comic bullet. George C. Scott reprised his Oscar-winning role, and
gave a capable performance, but the film-as-sequel-epilogue falls short.
Thanks! Since I have the dvd I am obliged to watch it. I am curious of the group's opinion.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
One of my favorite movies.

Also, one of my favorite Generals.:eusa_clap Tough, blunt talking Californian. hmmm:rolleyes: Just like me!:D

There are so many great scenes; the opening speech, the viewing of the Moroccan troops, where he takes command; kicks the sleeping GI in the butt and the GI says; "who just kicked me in the @$$?"lol , when he takes Messina and he marches into town and the U.S. Army band is playing Sousa and the Brits are with their bagpipes.lol I can just go on and on. I think I'll throw it in the DVD right now.;)

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I agree, Patton is a great film. George C. Scott really owned that role. The uncut version is the best.

Hemingway Jones said:
Very true. It was a huge scandal.

In one of the autobiographies of an Army Nurse I have at home, she was present when the incident occurred, and was appalled. The entire hospital staff was disgusted by his behavior, according to her.

The book "Doctor, Danger, Forward" is also interesting. It was written by a medic in the 1st ID. It is an excellent firsthand account of the war, but the author does not sugarcoat his opinions of Patton.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
I was reading a biography of Patton back in college and in the book it said that he had fallen off of a horse while playing polo in Lahaina, Maui in the 1930's and hit his head. It caused some type of build up in his head, which could be why he had erratic behavior at times.[huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ