Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peaked Lapel single breasted jacket find

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Today I bought a vintage peaked lapel jacket. I'd like to share a few pictures. The shop that I purchased it from had it labeled as "1910s/1920s". I think that it might actually be late 20s or even early 30s. Would anyone care to venture an opinion on the age of this jacket? The condition is nearly perfect;no moth holes,tears,stains or loose threads. There is some slight discoloring inside the sleeves so it has been worn. Still, rather remarkable condition if it's from the 1910s/20s. Thanks for looking!:)
frontpeakedlapeljacket25jd.jpg

liningpeakedlapeljacket2cy.jpg

frontbuttoncloseuppeakedlapelj.jpg

buttonholecloseuppeakedlapelja.jpg

peakedlapelbuttonedcrop9hu.jpg

makerstagpeakedlapeljacket1dh.jpg

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
For one thing could it be German in origin? Neuberg is a small town in Germany, near Frankfurt am Main.

To my eye the cut could very well place it around 1910/1920.
The very high stance of the three button front, the round corners of the bottom front of the jacket, and the label sure looks from that period. The material looks pretty heavy and similar to clothing I have seen from that period.

Are the buttons horn? Glass? Bakelite?

Take a look at some period photos of Germany; you may spot something similar.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Sweet!

Of course we must wait for the experts(MC) for the best guess as to the provenance.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Robert Conway said:
For one thing could it be German in origin? Neuberg is a small town in Germany, near Frankfurt am Main.

To my eye the cut could very well place it around 1910/1920.
The very high stance of the three button front, the round corners of the bottom front of the jacket, and the label sure looks from that period. The material looks pretty heavy and similar to clothing I have seen from that period.

Are the buttons horn? Glass? Bakelite?

Take a look at some period photos of Germany; you may spot something similar.
Thanks for the info. The material is fairly heavy. I don't think that the buttons are glass or horn. Bakelite perhaps, although I'm not that knowledgeable about that material so I can't say for certain. Think a 30s style fedora would do alright by this jacket?

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Robert Conway said:
A 30's style fedora? Why not? I'm guessing the jacket is from the 20's. It would not have been unusual for it to have been worn in to the 1930's, especially given the world wide economic conditions.

You should try reposting this question under suits, where some of the real experts who can probably tell you a lot more than me.

I was thinking that too. People really had it tough and would certainly not want to spend money on new styles when the old clothes are still wearable. Also it doesn't look (to my less than expert eye) too far removed from 30s styles. Similar yet different. Thanks for looking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR