Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peaky Blinders Newsboy

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
peaky-blinders.jpg

I searched and didn't find the info here...which can't be possible...but I can't find it. Who's making them for the show? What's your feeling on them being historically accurate?

Markus Rasmussen

New in Town
When I bike around in my city, Copenhagen, I notice that a lot of men are starting to wear caps, especially the Newsboy probably because it is featured so heavily in "Peaky Blinders".
Am I the only one who thinks this will be just a fashion thing fora few years and not progress into more people wearing hats on a permanent basis? I like seeing the caps around town but I am not sure how long the trend will last. I wish it would open up for more hat wearers. From time to time I see one guy, the same, wearing a bowler but that is about it. Fedoras has a small but steady following here. What is your opinion on the matter?

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
I wear both as many here do. Fedoras, caps and berets all are great choices to wear. Peaky Blinders has really bad caps all cap wearers here have said some many times. In watching BBC historic dramas they have always had really bad caps. I would cringe every time one was on the screen. Their Fedora’s are bad too completely not in period style at all. It is funny that they get the clothes right but the head wear sooooo sooooo wrong. [emoji3]

glider

A-List Customer
The newsboy hats were made in different styles, some really full, others not so much. Actually some were called baker boy hats. In St Louis they were called Kroger hats in the 40s and 50s. They got that name because there was a gang of robbers that only robbed Kroger stores and they all wore those hats. I've gotten really fond of that style cap and they are really warm.

Edward

Bartender
The flattop caps worn by two of the men in the picture are much more accurate to what would actually have been worn in the Midlands at that particular point in time. I can only assume the costume department were particularly keen on the eight panel look for whatever reason; possibly something to do with what best partially-concealed the razor blades. You don't see so many fedoras in the show; they weren't commonly seen in England until the 30s. Working men wore caps of varying quality, while the upper and middle classes would have been in bowlers or hombergs. Insofar as one can generalise, anyhow. Interesting to note that the PB boys carry on wearing their caps for the most part with their fancier suits and overcoats as they become more successful; this very much rings true as an aspect of British class politics.

glider

A-List Customer
My wife got me started on downton abbey, great series. Anyway it's interesting how the English upper class wore different hats for different occasions. It seems like the Bowler is the most common hat for the common man whereas the fedora was more of the everyday hat for the upper class. The Homburg was reserved for dress occasions and the top hat of course was for the dressiest events. I have read that in our own wild west the bowler was more common than the western hat as we know it. Now the bowler is considered a dress hat.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
When I bike around in my city, Copenhagen, I notice that a lot of men are starting to wear caps, especially the Newsboy probably because it is featured so heavily in "Peaky Blinders".
Am I the only one who thinks this will be just a fashion thing fora few years and not progress into more people wearing hats on a permanent basis? I like seeing the caps around town but I am not sure how long the trend will last. I wish it would open up for more hat wearers. From time to time I see one guy, the same, wearing a bowler but that is about it. Fedoras has a small but steady following here. What is your opinion on the matter?
Newsboy caps, and flat caps in general, never went out of style. I'm 66 years old and I've been seeing them since I was little kid. And every era in between, someone was wearing them in preference to baseball caps, etc.

Last edited:

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Mine are Aran Sweater Market and Stetson. Both are well made caps
I just ordered one made by Aran Sweater Market. I didn't see them for sale when I was on Inishmor in September. It's one of the few makers I've never owned, so I had to fix that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points