Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pearl Harbor?

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I know it's been out for awhile, but...
Has anyone seen Pearl Harbor with Ben Affleck? Was it any good? Historically accurate? Good or bad acting? worth the price of video rental? Thanks!
kamikat

Mycroft

One Too Many
Pearl Habor...some what of a love story. The history in it is not very correct in certian places. From a my stand point, boring except for the part with the attack itself.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Originally posted by kamikat
I know it's been out for awhile, but...
Has anyone seen Pearl Harbor with Ben Affleck? Was it any good? Historically accurate? Good or bad acting? worth the price of video rental? Thanks!
kamikat

Wow. the movie came out about two years ago! Yes it was good. Had good actors. Not necessarily historical (except the part where the Japs bomb Pearl Harbor).

The visual and special effects are good. So is the flying scenes.

Well wortl $4. rental. Good songs and special features on disk #2.

I recommend surround sound on a big plazma tv...which I don't have!

Corky

Practically Family
They had to add the epilogue with the Doolittle Raid...

They had to add the epilogue with the Doolittle Raid supposedly because test audiences were walking out of the theater under the impression that America had lost WW II.

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Corky said:
They had to add the epilogue with the Doolittle Raid supposedly because test audiences were walking out of the theater under the impression that America had lost WW II.

The only good thing about Pearl Harbor, is Kate Beckinsale.

They took some MAJOR liberties, with the Doolittle Raid. Typical Hollywood. Don't like the way history turned out? Just re-write it. Make it into a summer block buster, and everyone will believe your version.

Reminds me of the movie about capturing a U-boat & the Enigma machine. (can't remember the name of it now) The screen play was re-done to show the Americans capturing the sub, instead of the British. Even though the Americans weren't really involved in the war at that stage. Seems the polls said that an American audience wouldn't go see the movie, if all the stars had accents.

A sad comment on what 20 years of public education has done to the children in this country.

Sorry about the rant. I'm going to wrap my head with duct tape now, before it explodes. :)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Chas said:
AMC is currently obsessively replaying this movie.

It's a monumentally, truly and quintessentially awful film.

I watched it the other night for five minutes before changing the channel.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
The opening of A.O. Scott's review of "Pearl Habror" in the New York Times back when it originally opened says it all:

The Japanese sneak attack on Pearl Harbor that brought the United States into World War II has inspired a splendid movie, full of vivid performances and unforgettable scenes, a movie that uses the coming of war as a backdrop for individual stories of love, ambition, heroism and betrayal. The name of that movie is ''From Here to Eternity.''

(And of course, he goes on to tear into the new film as a bogus melodramatic travesty.)

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
If you like movies where two guys beats the whole enemy airforce with a smile on their face and a hawaiian shirt on their back, then it's the movie for you.
It was -and still is - booorriiiing and predictable.
Not even historical acurate. And neither a love story or a war movie.

:eek: I guesse do not like that movie.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I would put this movie on the same plane as "Titanic."

The film took some major liberties, and I personally found the love triangle to be tiresome and annoying (every time Kate Beckinsale appears on screen I make jokes about Celine Dion songs playing), but overall I actually kind of enjoy watching this movie. The first time I saw it, I absolutely hated it due to all the inaccuracies. But once you recognize it as largely fictional as just view it as entertainment - again, kind of like Titanic - it isn't bad. It has lots of nice eye candy as far as period clothing and uniforms (although Kate Beckinsale's hair was soooooo blah the entire movie), the effects are very good, and the extras on the DVD are interesting. It is worth the rental fee, or if you can find it on sale at Half Price Books, which is where we bought our copy. It is a good Saturday afternoon movie, IMHO. You just need to be prepared for the fact that it isn't historically accurate, and steel yourself for some Titanic-esque love story moments. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff