Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pecards query

matei

One Too Many
Hi all... I just ordered some Pecards online to use with my new-ish jackets (ELC and Aero, plus some a few others) but I seem to have ordered the wrong version of Pecards - I got the Antique dressing rather than the standard one.

Any harm in using this, or does it have some special mojo for restoring old leather that it shouldn't be used on new ones?

Hi all... I just ordered some Pecards online to use with my new-ish jackets (ELC and Aero, plus some a few others) but I seem to have ordered the wrong version of Pecards - I got the Antique dressing rather than the standard one.

Any harm in using this, or does it have some special mojo for restoring old leather that it shouldn't be used on new ones?

It's pretty much all the same thing, actually. Someone did a test on a whole range of Pecard products and they all turned out to be either petroleum jelly or wax. Different names is just to broaden the product range thus help with the marketing. In short, as @Guppy already stated, you're good either way.

f2002q

One of the Regulars
I just put Pecards Black dressing on a Vanson Enfield. I used the hair dryer method to make sure it absorbed. The Enfield only soaked up a bit and even after overnight drying I had to wipe the excess. It did, however, make it softer and more pliable. It also made the black color more even. I’m happy with it.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I have used "regular" Pecards with good success on both some older Aero - CXL - FQHH jackets and many pairs of White's boots with good success. Never any real darkening that I have noticed, if you are concerned with that.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Pecards to me is more of a water proofer to me. In the last 20+ years, I have not used it. In shoes it had a reputation of causing the thread to prematurely deteriorate. I am very happy using my own home grown conditioner. By the way, baseline is a good conditioner.

Last edited:

matei

One Too Many
Pecards to me is more of a water proofer. However, I do not like to use it. In shoes it had a reputation of causing the thread to prematurely deteriorate. In the last 20+ years, I have not used it. I am very happy using my own home grown conditioner. Baseline is excellent conditioner.

Hmmm... I could do with all the waterproofing I can get, we get a lot of rain! ;-)

Joking aside, I intend to use it sparingly. I'd like to test it by bringing Mrs. Matei's black lambskin jacket back to life, it was sat forgotten in a wardrobe for nearly 10 years... and prior to that it never saw a drop of any sort of conditioner. Amazingly enough it hasn't faded, stretched or ripped - and she wore it often.

f2002q

One of the Regulars
I've used Pecard's dressing a lot, but I'm wondering if there is something better, especially for leather jackets. I like the black one which has dye for the black moto jackets, but how about dressing for browns or other colors. I understand that adding an oil product might change the color and I'm ok with that. I see some folks here use Obenauf's, so I might give it a try. The last thing I want is a sticky, full of residue jacket.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I've used Pecard's dressing a lot, but I'm wondering if there is something better, especially for leather jackets. I like the black one which has dye for the black moto jackets, but how about dressing for browns or other colors. I understand that adding an oil product might change the color and I'm ok with that. I see some folks here use Obenauf's, so I might give it a try. The last thing I want is a sticky, full of residue jacket.

Obenaufs is even stickier and thicker than Pecard's, i use it on boots but i wouldn't use it on a jacket.
I was discussing conditionners with Stuart from Lost Worlds last week and he recommended Connolly's hide food, it was apparently used by Rolls Royce for their leather interiors.
It has a strong smell but it leaves very little residue behind, i would try that rather than pecards, i like pecard's but it does leave a lot of waxiness behind.

Yes, the smell was the first part- I thought it had gone bad, but I put it on anyway...a few weeks later the jacket had returned to the same condition as pre-Hide Food but a touch shinier and a little bit brittle. Honestly, at this point I’ve played with so many that I have my favorites and they vary per leather type.
I was surprised by the results as my parents swore they saw it repair cracked seat cushions.

O'DubhGhaill

Familiar Face
Pecard's Leather Dressing and Antique are the same and thicker than the Pecard's Leather Creme. I use the Leather Dressing mostly for waterproofing boots and shoes and the Leather Creme for everything else, as it absorbs much more quickly and is easier to apply. I've used their products for years and they are outstanding.

Peacoat

Bartender
I think someone posted on here in one of the numerous conditioner threads that all Pecard conditioners have the same formulation, but different names for market segmentation.

I think the information came from Pecard. The reason was that someone doing a search for, say, "Antique Leather Dressing," would be directed to the Pecard site.

O'DubhGhaill

Familiar Face
I remember that and Pecard actually responded to an email query I sent questioning about the differences between Antique and Leather Dressing - they advised they are the same. The Leather Creme features more content of their Leather Oil, making it a thinner consistency grease than the Antique and Leather Dressing. I agree the general formulation is otherwise the same.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
According to Pecard
Pecard Antique Leather Dressing can also be applied to new oil tanned leather to repel harmful dirt and water. This specially formulated blend of waxes includes beeswax and USP Grade Petroleum products. It contains NO animal fat or tallow, mink oil, lanolin, or neatsfoot oil.
I think the Pecard Antique Leather Dressing's main purpose is to protect antique leather from further drying out. IPetroleum products like vaseline cannot be absorbed through leather/skin. It forms a protective layer to prevent oil and water from going in or coming out. Beeswax seems to have certain ingredients including oil that can be absorbed but overall it contains rather very little oil, I think the logic is that excessive oil may do more harm to old leather and more importantly the old cotton threads. I think a large part of the ingredients cannot get absorbed into the leather. Although the petroleum gel would coat the leather and make the surface smooth and shinny, IMO it does not seem to do much to replenish dried out leather.

PeterRocco

A-List Customer

Hi
I use the Pecards Black and Brown Conditioner. Has a small amount of Color die and I get great results.
To answer your question I believe it's just a marketing thing. Same product different look to the tub.
I ordered both and look and feel the same.
One tip don't over apply it. Use your fingers and rub in. Don't put too much on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112