Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Penman Hats

DR Ulloa

New in Town
This is my first post here, though I've been a member for a couple months. So, let me introduce myself...hello. Phew, now that thats over with, on with the show.

I recently received my second hat from The Penman Hat Co. I was one of John's first customers and really took a chance on him. The photos he had been posting on some other forums were quite nice, but you can't tell how great, or bad, a hat will be until you are holding it in your hands and wearing it on your head. Needless to say, I was so impressed with John's work that I ordered a second hat from him. Now, this hat is very important because I will be wearing it to my wedding in September.

When I approached John about the hat the first thing he said was "Dave, I'm honored, but I think you should go to Art Fawcett for this hat." I considered it, but I really wanted John to make this hat for me. So, I gave him a rough idea of what I wanted and John went to work. The end result is on of the most beautiful hats I've ever seen.

PenmanWeddingHat007.jpg

PenmanWeddingHat003.jpg

PenmanWeddingHat005.jpg

PenmanWeddingHat012.jpg

PenmanWeddingHat008.jpg

PenmanWeddingHat009.jpg

Now onto the review. The materials themselves are top grade. The felt is the softest I've felt on a modern hat. The vegi-tanned sheepskin sweatband is very comfortable. I forget I even have either of my Penman hats on.

The pounce job is fantastic. The felt is just so luxuriously soft that I find myself running my hand over the crown to feel the thing. The hat is smooth and has no imperfections in the felt or the pounce.

The sweat stitching is great. Very heavy duty. This thing is not falling apart. I pity the man who has to take this sweat out to reblock the hat. Seeing as though this is high-grade beaver and John weather-proofs all his hats, I don't think that will be any time soon.

The ribbons stitching is superb as well. It took me a while to find the stitch points; he hides them very well. The stitching on the bow is no different. Each stitch is expertly hidden. And that beautiful knot!

Best of all, though, is John's customer service. I was updated regularly on the progress of my hat. And every time John calls we end up conversing about more than just my hat and end up running up the phone bill.

When I bought this hat I also bought a hat brush and lapel pin. John also told me he is trying to arrange an agreement so that he can sell water repellent directly to the customers. He is very quickly becoming a one stop shop for all things hats.

Of all my hats, this latest Penman is my favorite. I've had vintage hats and modern hats and this one tops them all. So, a big thank you to John Penman for creating a work of art for me and a thank you to the Fedora Lounge for welcoming me.

Dave

hollowpond

One of the Regulars
I'll second the praise for the Penman Hat Co. John is a super nice guy and a remarkable craftsman. The best part of Penman Hats is the fact that John is so accessible. If you need to get in touch with him...its no problem at all, and he is dedicated to providing them with the hat that they want. I think alot of times he is considered to be just an Indy hat guy, but this picture shows that he is much, much more! I can't say enough good things about John, or his hat company!

Corky

Practically Family
Is your hat Black, Grey, or Blue?

Is your hat Black, Grey, or Blue?

On my monitor, your hat appears to be different colors in the different photos.

Best of luck

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Hello, hello!

As usual, John Penman does a great job.

Is it just my monitor, or does that hat need a good brushing?[huh]

DR Ulloa

New in Town
Lefty said:

I'm not sure if your joking or not...

Alright, on to your questions. Yes, I should have brushed the hat before taking the photos. I didn't notice it when I took it out, but it does have some dust on it. The brim is 5 3/8'' open and the brim is 2 1/2. The color is black and thank you for the warm welcome and congratulations.

Dave

kiltie

Practically Family
I'm really waffling on getting some Penman hat or other. For one, it's hard to beat those prices and turnaround for a custom. Secondly, it does seem like he's alway's around here or at COW, and therefore accessable. The only thing that stalls me out is that D**N'ed Ebay. I can't stand the idea of not bidding on two or three hats while I wait for another :p .
You got a great hat there, and I'm not sure if a Penman thread had been started, anyway ( but then again, I haven't looked [huh] ).

DR Ulloa

New in Town
I did a quick search and didn't see one. I guess I've comitted some sort of crime by posting this. That, or someone doesn't like Penman.

Dave

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
DR Ulloa said:
I did a quick search and didn't see one. I guess I've comitted some sort of crime by posting this. That, or someone doesn't like Penman.

Dave

Nevermind that. You can't please everyone. A picture of the inside would be nice

DR Ulloa

New in Town
The script on the sweatband is very nice. John also signs the inside of every sweatband and personalizes it with your name and size.

Is there a Christy's of London, Bailey's, or Adventurebilt gallery? I don't want to FAIL again.

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112