Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Perfect Mai Tai Recipe......tikiphiles discuss

Caroline

One of the Regulars
Mike in Seattle said:
Furiously scribbling notes & recipes for the post-show parties after South Pacific later this summer.... and some sneered when I bought Tiki tumblers and a big Voodoo Lounge ice bucket awhile back...heh heh heh...this'll teach 'em! ;)

Please post pics of the ice bucket here or in the "Got Tiki" thread! :)

Magus

Practically Family
I have tried and tried...but simply can not duplicate or find on the mainland...the distinctly layered, non-bashed-in-a-blender delicious mai tai that every 60 year old+ retired navy bartender in Honolulu seems to know how to make. None better.

Magus said:
I have tried and tried...but simply can not duplicate or find on the mainland...the distinctly layered, non-bashed-in-a-blender delicious mai tai that every 60 year old+ retired navy bartender in Honolulu seems to know how to make. None better.

In order to layer it, you have to carefully pour the liquor into the glass over the back of a long handled bar spoon. That way it distributes the liquor so it will not sink to the bottom of the glass/mug.
I have never seen it layered (normally it is shaken in a cocktail shaker---that would kill any layering technique). I imagine it is possible if you simply pour the liquor in the right order it would float layer upon layer. There is a list somewhere that tells you which liquor to pour and in what order based on their density. That would work but then again the first time you take a sip the liquor would likely mix.
Never had one made in a blender. That certainly doesn't make sense. :eusa_doh:

Magus said:
This discussion prompted a search. And thouh I don't have the skill. here is a layered recipe from Hawaii.

http://www.thevirtualbar.com/cgi-bin/dspdrink?RecNo=1708

The enjoyment of the layers (for me) is the visual, and the different flavors hat come up through the straw at different times. Though admittedly after about half the drink is gone, its pretty much mixed anyway ;-)

Pineapple juice and sweet and sour mix?! Heresy I say! ;) :p
I suppose if you use that many different ingredients then there might be something to layer. :p

Caroline

One of the Regulars
desi_de_lu_lu said:
This was my best google search for the Trader Vic's recipe. I have tried it but alas, not quite the same.. but still pretty good. I think it is in the rum...and I am sadly not the connoisseur i would hope to be ...yet.

2 ounces 17-year-old Jamaican rum
1/2 ounce orgeat (almond syrup)
1/2 ounce orange curacao
Juice of one fresh lime
1/4 ounce rock candy syrup or Simple Syrup
Lime slice for garnish
Sprig of mint for garnish
Shake ingredients and pour into an ice-packed glass.
Garnish with lime and a sprig of mint.

OK since we're now all out of the Trader Vic's mix (people, don't just buy one bottle like I did), I'm going to attempt this tonite. I have everything, except the only rum in the house is this semi-local stuff called Hurricane Rum from Nantucket. I guess it's aged in whiskey barrels, and the taste is, well, rum with whiskey tones. We'll see if it works. I really don't feel like showing my face in the liquor store yet again. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran