Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Perfecto Style Moto Jacket for Ladies (need suggestions & advice!)

The 137W came today! Shipping took forever.

I am... a little torn and ultimately less than impressed.

What I like about it:
- The weight and leather thickness is fab. I think I prefer the naked cowhide because the shine of steerhide isn't my thing.
- The styling is obviously the original and classic.
- It's comfy and easy to wear/style.
- I can move my armssss! haha
- Fit is nice and relaxed.

What I didn't like about it:
- Not a strong dislike per se as I was expecting worse but the synthetic/nylon quilt liner was actually a non-issue and fairly lightweight but it did feel a bit cheap.
- The cutting and construction of this jacket was not as precise as I'd like it to be.
- The zippers on the side pockets! You have to zip up to open vs zip down and those zippers were lightweight and flimsy and hard to grip compared to the rest.
- One of the epaulets on the shoulder lays flat and the other likes to bunch up. For a defining, stylistic detail such as this, it should be less obtrusive.
- The stitching on the right armhole vs left armhole has obvious quality differences. This is what bothers me the most. One is nice and smooth; the other is bunchy.

I don't think I'm going to keep it tbh. I reached out to Thedi Leathers and they are able to make a Perfecto-style jacket with a cotton lining and (add elbow patches!) but I am not 100% sure about going this route yet because the communications have been somewhat lagged and it needs to be more of a final decision since it will be custom. Also, production time is understandably lengthy. Alas, back to the drawing board.
The epaulette would bother me too. I've had this issue on jackets where they set the snap too close to the shoulder seam.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
All I can tell you is that this Thedi worked really well for my other half :)

Thedi knows how to make a pattern that works whether for ladies or men. As for Aero... let's just say that I own several Thedis and no Aero

AliceP

New in Town
All I can tell you is that this Thedi worked really well for my other half :)

Thedi knows how to make a pattern that works whether for ladies or men. As for Aero... let's just say that I own several Thedis and no Aero

Oh, wow! Is that your lady's jacket? It is gorgeous. And so good to hear about your positive experience with Thedi.

So, I have decided to go through Thedi. I've been exchanging emails with the owner and he has been incredibly kind and helpful. I've also seen some of the comments here from other happy Thedi customers; it appears that the communication delay is their modus operandi, especially when considering the time zone difference. Honestly, this doesn't bother me at all because everything happens at such a rapid pace here in the States and it is not always for the best. Things don't work this way in most parts of the world, and why should it? Good things take time.

I don't know much about Aero although I have seen some very handsome jackets by them on the members here. I decided not to go with them because I like the the small studio ("atelier") vibe of Thedi and their designs for women a bit more (the collar on theirs is more petite and I am looking forward to customizing with quilted elbow patches!). I'm a tomboy but still like my staple pieces to have a feminine feel even if it is borrowed from the boys.

Oh, wow! Is that your lady's jacket? It is gorgeous. And so good to hear about your positive experience with Thedi.

So, I have decided to go through Thedi. I've been exchanging emails with the owner and he has been incredibly kind and helpful. I've also seen some of the comments here from other happy Thedi customers; it appears that the communication delay is their modus operandi, especially when considering the time zone difference. Honestly, this doesn't bother me at all because everything happens at such a rapid pace here in the States and it is not always for the best. Things don't work this way in most parts of the world, and why should it? Good things take time.

I don't know much about Aero although I have seen some very handsome jackets by them on the members here. I decided not to go with them because I like the the small studio ("atelier") vibe of Thedi and their designs for women a bit more (the collar on theirs is more petite and I am looking forward to customizing with quilted elbow patches!). I'm a tomboy but still like my staple pieces to have a feminine feel even if it is borrowed from the boys.
Thanks for sharing your process here AliceP! It’s so refreshing to have a woman contributing her journey. We haven’t had a woman’s perspective since @SpeedRcrX shared hers and it’s missed. So thank you for breathing some fresh life into the forum! Keep us posted on your Thedi!

AliceP

New in Town
Thanks for sharing your process here AliceP! It’s so refreshing to have a woman contributing her journey. We haven’t had a woman’s perspective since @SpeedRcrX shared hers and it’s missed. So thank you for breathing some fresh life into the forum! Keep us posted on your Thedi!
Aw, thank you. That is sweet of you to say.

I'll keep you posted for sure. =) Have a nice weekend everyone.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
good luck with your new Thedi, top choice for sure. hopefully your jacket order gets processed quickly so you can wear it late Fall or this Winter. still waiting on a custom order from Feb

AliceP

New in Town
good luck with your new Thedi, top choice for sure. hopefully your jacket order gets processed quickly so you can wear it late Fall or this Winter. still waiting on a custom order from Feb
Oh my, Feb seems forever ago! Did you have any special requests that would reflect this time frame? Were you quoted the turnaround time prior to purchase?

I'm pretty patient but 7+ months sounds painful.

red devil

Good things take time definitely applies with Thedi :)

Just send them a reminder when you get close to the deadline they gave you.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Oh my, Feb seems forever ago! Did you have any special requests that would reflect this time frame? Were you quoted the turnaround time prior to purchase?

I'm pretty patient but 7+ months sounds painful.

I don't really mind the wait since I had a bunch of jackets I needed to break in (some I'm still in the process of) but was originally quoted 60 days completion time. if I had known it would take this long I'd probably ordered another shinki field leather jacket since the waitlist is about 1 year.

This Thedi pattern in washed/waxed black veg tan italian cowhide but exchanging the shawl collar to a standard collar w/ detachable fur seems a pretty simple and straightforward request to me. I was told in June they were short staffed so there will be delays with production time and then summer came so people took their vacation but hopefully their shop is up and running smoothly again.

Attachments

• IMG_2418.jpg
    IMG_2418.jpg
    363 KB · Views: 236

AliceP

New in Town
I don't really mind the wait since I had a bunch of jackets I needed to break in (some I'm still in the process of) but was originally quoted 60 days completion time. if I had known it would take this long I'd probably ordered another shinki field leather jacket since the waitlist is about 1 year.

This Thedi pattern in washed/waxed black veg tan italian cowhide but exchanging the shawl collar to a standard collar w/ detachable fur seems a pretty simple and straightforward request to me. I was told in June they were short staffed so there will be delays with production time and then summer came so people took their vacation but hopefully their shop is up and running smoothly again.

That is a beautiful jacket. I hope you get yours soon! Thank you for the head's up about production time. Somehow this does not deter me. :eek:

The owner looks like a motorcycling Zeus. I was browsing their IG and came upon this jacket that I really liked too. Super clean cut and distilled moto-styling. Love the detail on the back of the jacket and the adjustable waist cinch belt. I guess you could say that I am a fan now.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-02 at 4.23.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-02 at 4.23.53 PM.png
    585.9 KB · Views: 237
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-02 at 4.24.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-02 at 4.24.07 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 234

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
That is a beautiful jacket. I hope you get yours soon! Thank you for the head's up about production time. Somehow this does not deter me. :eek:

The owner looks like a motorcycling Zeus. I was browsing their IG and came upon this jacket that I really liked too. Super clean cut and distilled moto-styling. Love the detail on the back of the jacket and the adjustable waist cinch belt. I guess you could say that I am a fan now.

Thank you, I think they make the coolest detachable collar design with intricate stitch details and the use of loops/buttons instead of snaps so I really wanted to incorporate that design for my jacket. If there's one thing I can recommend to you is get a detachable collar for your cross zip, it will add a little flair (or a lot depending on the color of the fur lol) plus you get a 2-in-1 jacket for like $150. I hope they will be back on track with their regular production time, it's already Fall so I'm sure orders are trickling in even more.

I think a lot of people get to that conclusion about the man lol what a cool guy. agreed, that's a very clean cross zip half belt also comes with a nice zip sleeves with false cuff which I think is a classy touch. if you do go for that design I'll be eager to see how they will make the pattern tailored specifically to you, don't think we've seen this fitted for a lady yet

Rich22

Practically Family

I like that jacket a lot too. There's also a brown version with a detachable mouton collar and a detachable shearling vest-liner that looks good to me:
E4BD7E87-D6A1-4AE5-A506-FCBDFD9BD693.jpeg

AliceP

New in Town
I like that jacket a lot too. There's also a brown version with a detachable mouton collar and a detachable shearling vest-liner that looks good to me:
View attachment 366178
Yes! I saw this. The gears in my head started turning. The shearling is such a versatile option for trips to the mountains or Northeast winters, where I sometimes find myself. And I can totally see myself wearing buffalo moccasins with the shearling collar. :)

Somehow I think that this would make a great ladies jacket, providing the appropriate tailoring. It is refined and clean and the belt at the waist is a nice touch. It makes the jacket look balanced front & back. I'm surprised; I started my search for a Perfecto-style jacket but this one is really speaking to my heart. I'll have to ask him about it and whether it can be done. I'd still want the quilted elbow patches. (My fondness for elbow patches comes from a love of practicality but also an appreciation for the preppy styling on much-loved tweed coats as well as the elevated aesthetic of those classic quilted Chanel bags.)

Aloysius

@AliceP, you may want to reach out to Thurston Bros to get an estimate on how long it would take going through their queue if you got in on their October Thedi order.

MrProper

Good choice :)
I have not yet been able to bring myself to Thedi.
Cool jackets, nice leather but so far I associate Thedi with short sleeves and wide hem/waistband.
I can't say exactly. Maybe I should have to buy one soon after all. Then I will probably only want Thedi. LOL
I'm sure they'll make a brilliant women's jacket.

What mainly hinders me are long waiting times. I don't like to wait 4, 5 months or even longer.
I made my last Lewis leather order only hoping to have the jacket after 4 weeks. Now it looks more like 12. LOL
I would probably have several of Field Leathers already, but a year's wait... not for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points