Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Perhaps of interest?

Dave the Hick

New in Town
I saw, in a local Goodwill, a Chinese overcoat that I would love to have but can't justify in southern California. It was obviously made for the colder parts of China.

It's a medium blue, a cotton shell and a VERY heavy fur liner. The coat must weigh 20 pounds. The reason I think someone here may want it is because of the styling; it's the kind of simple but very sturdy thing that would have been worn here a few decades ago by lower middle-class or poor people. Not that it's unattractive (I love the look myself) but it's not going to win any fashion shows.

If anyone's interested, I'll pick it up and mail it to you for actual cost (20 bucks to Goodwill and whatever shipping comes to). If it's still there, which I suspect it will be for quite some time.

Don't take me up on this unless (a) you never intend to wear the liner or (b) you live somewhere where it routinely gets below 0F. Seriously.

Edit: Silly me. The size. There's no size marked (there's no label at all except a very small one on the liner in Chinese), but I wear 40 or 42 and it fits me just right.

Dave the Hick

New in Town
Anyone have a guess how much it might have gone for had I decided to sell it? I'm thinking it's easily worth $50, but what do I know?

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Unknown. You mean on EBay? You never know. Sometimes something like that will only sell for $10. It is very cool, though.

Did CliffG buy it?

CliffG

One of the Regulars
If you are still interested in selling this to me I would give it a good home, it is very interesting. It does have that traditional Chinese look even the color.
Thanks,
Cliff

Edward

Bartender
Yes, the colour is very Chinese - I would guess that this dates from 1959 or more likely just a little later - post- Maoist revolution (though obviously the basic style is much earlier, is Western terms). The nature of the lining certainly makes sense - Beijing isn't far off from NYC, climate-wise (i.e. very hot in the Summer and bitterly cold in the Winter!). Other parts of China, especially the more rural areas, are incredibly cold come Winter.

CliffG

One of the Regulars
This si really an amazing coat! It is 9 pounds it weight, the color is a little darker blue than the pictures and it appears to be hand made, with some hand stitching, the collar is large and will stand up to protect your neck and the back of your head from the wind, the heavy lining looks like it is shearing or sheep skin, one of the boys back home on leave this holiday season is convinced that the fur is actually panda, especially since it originated in China, the satin lining that covers the back of the sheep skin is heavier than a lot of the linings I have seen on any other coat.
With the wind chill today at -22 f putting on this coat with my shearling bomber hat and shearling gloves a person can actually stay toasty warm. If you were doing any thing strenuous you wold defiantly want to unbutton the coat.

Awesome find Dave and Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy