Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PERRY A2

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yesterday I bought a rather nice size 44 Perry A2 on Ebay. It came with a flight suit belonging to the same USAAF Captain C.D. WITT, a pilot who flew transports in the pacific theater during WWII. The Perry is in terrific condition, only lacking the label, which i guess the vet removed as the flight suit label is also missing! Everything is original and untouched! Here are some pics from Ebay. I will take more when they arrive in the UK. Andrew:)

1bba_3.jpg

1cb6_3.jpg

1d90_3.jpg

1e66_3.jpg

1f50_3.jpg

1ffa_3.jpg

tomsk

New in Town
Wow it looks like a repro just out of the box! Really useful pics for me, thank you.
In my quest for authentic repros I find it so much better to compare 'as new' originals to repros rather than comparing battered and beaten ones. I note the dark reverse of the leather on the zipper puller. If this is indicative of the rest of the jacket then it flies in the face of some manufacturers' opinions that you have to have a light base colour.

aswatland

tomsk said:
Wow it looks like a repro just out of the box! Really useful pics for me, thank you.
In my quest for authentic repros I find it so much better to compare 'as new' originals to repros rather than comparing battered and beaten ones. I note the dark reverse of the leather on the zipper puller. If this is indicative of the rest of the jacket then it flies in the face of some manufacturers' opinions that you have to have a light base colour.

It was a pretty good deal too as it cost the same price including the flight suit as an ELC signed Monarch repro!

Marv

A-List Customer
Suberb looking jacket / flightsuit Andrew, you definately seem to have the magic touch my friend......what I have noticed that most originals seem to be russet in colour and not many seem to be found in seal.
Does anybody know if there was a reason for this as why this was the case :)

aswatland

Marv said:
Suberb looking jacket / flightsuit Andrew, you definately seem to have the magic touch my friend......what I have noticed that most originals seem to be russet in colour and not many seem to be found in seal.
Does anybody know if there was a reason for this as why this was the case :)

There do seem to be more russet A2s than seal. For example, the Star A2 is seal as is the last RW contract, the 27752. Most pre-War and early war A2s were varying shades of russet. Why there are fewer seal ones I don't know, but it may have been to do with manufacturing costs. John Chapman might know for sure.

JWG

Familiar Face
The Perry is awesome!

As to the color, there were many seal or "sealish" jackets made but over time the color tended to fade leaving behind a lighter shade...Aeros were/are notorious for this. There certainly were russet examples among Aero A2s, but many original Aeros nowadays described as "darkish" russet were faded seal/chestnut.

The Dubow 27798 contract for example had jackets that were both quite dark and much lighter in shade. I think this was quite common among the "bigger" companies making them... i.e. they had a lot of jackets to make for their particular contract/order and they used whatever hides they could get their hands on.

atkins

Familiar Face
My kinda of collar

I fell in love to the rounded collar of a Perry, Aswatland congrats! :eusa_clap
There is no Reproduction maker of Perry jacket anywhere, is it? Gee, what do you think Mr.Chapman?:D

Regards,
Atkins

aswatland

atkins said:
I fell in love to the rounded collar of a Perry, Aswatland congrats! :eusa_clap
There is no Reproduction maker of Perry jacket anywhere, is it? Gee, what do you think Mr.Chapman?:D

Regards,
Atkins

Yes I like the rounded collar on the Perry. I don't think there is a reproduction of this A2, but i hope John Chapman makes one soon.

aswatland

I have been on the Buzz Rickson site and there is no trace of a Perry repro. Perhaps they no longer make it. Lots of RW copies though.

greyhound68

A-List Customer
aswatland said:
I have been on the Buzz Rickson site and there is no trace of a Perry repro. Perhaps they no longer make it. Lots of RW copies though.
They did about five years ago but don't know if they are going to make one this year or not.

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
When I was in Tokyo (two years ag) there was a new light russet Buzz Perry out. Really nice repro.Must have been a hot seller because I saw at least 20 people wearing them around on the streets.

aswatland

MudInYerEye said:
When I was in Tokyo (two years ag) there was a new light russet Buzz Perry out. Really nice repro.Must have been a hot seller because I saw at least 20 people wearing them around on the streets.

Clearly there is a gap in the repro market for a top quality Perry. Perhaps Goodwear Leather will make one soon!

aswatland

The Perry arrived this morning. It is even better than the photos. It looks to have been hardly warn by Captain Witt. The only slight wear is to the lining above the hanger. It looks as it did when issued. A very rare find IMO. I will take some of my own pics shortly. :)

aswatland

Here is the Perry in the Uk! No Pecards applied: no need as the leather is as supple and looks box new! Notice the mistake in stitching the waistband to the leather supporting the male half of the zipper. There are two rows of original stitch holes where she went wrong. This adds to the authenticity of the jacket, which is not replicated on most repros. I have taken a lot of pics to give you a flavour of this near mint A2.
001-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

012-1.jpg

018.jpg

026.jpg

028.jpg

030.jpg

036.jpg

038.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads