Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pewter Tea Sets (Metawa of Holland in particular).

Story

I'll Lock Up
Caveat : I searched for a pre-existing thread and found nothing recent or suitable. If I've missed it, move as appropriate oh Bartender.

Found this for dirt cheap and dragged it home, tho' I drink tea about as often as I square dance.
It'll probably be defiled into serving cocktails this summer, as it's only five of a six piece set (missing the pitcher)

metawaholland.jpg

Hallmarked 'METAWA HOLLAND REAL PEWTER 94%' in all capital letters around a building.

I keep seeing 'Art Deco' in the descriptions of identical sets, but does anyone in the peanut gallery know any more than what I've been able to dig up?

My gut sensing is that it's from the post1982-1985 revival, since the edges feel sharp and crisp. Is there any way to date when it was actually produced, perhaps based on the style of the hallmark?

Metawa, Tiel, Holland, name from 'metalware', Trade name Metad'or for brass but also made pewterware, founded 1923 in the same town as Daalderop and Kurz. Closed 1982, briefly revived but finally closed 1985.
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/pewter-6-pc-elegant-tea-coffee-set-service-metawa

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner