Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Philco Model 95

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
I just picked up this beauty today. It is from the late 20's. What do you think it is worth? Would it be crazy to plug it in?

Here is some info I found about it on line:

WALNUT CASED HIGHBOY CONSOLE RADIO, Philco model 95, c. 1930, the front double wood doors opening to a pictorial tapestry grill cover over lower window dial, pierced side fleur-de-lis, AC power. Cabinet dimensions: 37.25"H x 28"W x 14.25"D.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Hey there MK, so you got a Philco model 95 eh? That's a sweet and early Philco! Philco made some good radios in the early days!
In fact, the radio that comes to most peoples mind when you mention old radios is the Philco model 90 cathedral.

Philco made good sets all the way till 1949. They made good radios at good prices that most could afford a radio in the depression. The three biggest names in radio in the golden era were Zenith, RCA and Philco.

Just a little info about the maker of your fine radio.

Post some photos when you can!

Root.

PS. Does it look like this MK?

Wild Root

Gone Home
Here is the Philco model 90 that is known the world over. This it the radio that most companies reproduce on a small scale. The repros with the tape players are not the full size they originally were. This is a big cathedral radio standing at 18" tall! And, will fetch a healthy $500 to $600 easy.

Root.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
Originally posted by Wild Root
Hey there MK, so you got a Philco model 95 eh? That's a sweet and early Philco! Philco made some good radios in the early days!
In fact, the radio that comes to most peoples mind when you mention old radios is the Philco model 90 cathedral.

Philco made good sets all the way till 1949. They made good radios at good prices that most could afford a radio in the depression. The three biggest names in radio in the golden era were Zenith, RCA and Philco.

Just a little info about the maker of your fine radio.

Post some photos when you can!

Root.

PS. Does it look like this MK?

That's the one. I paid $98 for it. How did I do? Do you think I should risk plugging it in?

Dalexs

Practically Family
Hey MK,

FWIW, my neighbor who lived across the street from me in
Portland, buys and restores vintage/antique radios as a side business.

I will try to track down his number for you.

I don't see any harm in plugging it in and seeing if it works.
I would however, use a power strip with a breaker in it.

You'll know right away if has a problem.

My folks own an old console RCA HIFI, and while it is not the
greatest sounding thing, it still fires rigth up and plays music!

Steve

Wild Root

Gone Home
If you have no luck finding any one to fix it up there, then you could send it to this guy! He's the Philco expert! He has come out with a book called Philco Radio 1928 to 1942. He restores Philcos and collects them! His name is Ron Ramirez and he is known by the vintage radio collecting world!

You would send the chassis to him and he would repair it for you. Then, send it back. Take a look at his link! This radio is a super collectable and you want it to stay as original as possible! It will only help its value clime!

Here's the link http://www.philcoradio.com/index.htm

Good luck,

Root.

Dalexs

Practically Family

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
Here are the photos of my radio:

Philco_95a.jpg

Philco_95b.jpg

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Unpacking

Hope you unpack the fire extinguisher before you plug in that radio:p !!

JUST KIDDING! You stole that radio, and it won't be hard to get into working order if all the parts are there and it wasn't fried sometime in the past.

Hope you are settling in ok, boss.

Bobbi B.

New in Town
An outlet strip with a breaker in it is a good idea. There's another old trick for checking unknown radios but you need to be a bit of an electrician -- wire a receptacle in series with the hot side of an extension cord, plug a lamp with a 100 Watt bulb into it, and then plug the radio into the far end. If the bulb lights, the radio needs fixed. (Radios pull way less than 100 W, so if the radio is okay, it will come on normally). Don't try this if you're uncertain about doing it -- wall-socket juice is so unforgiving.

If it comes on but hums really loudly, it will need repair. There's a kind of part that fails that gives that effect. It's not usually a big deal to fix. (<--Deftly avoiding dull, boring dissertation).

(Putting eyeglasses away and stepping away from chalkboard). ;)

That's a beautiful radio and would fit any 1930-late '40s decor. People held onto them. People still hold on to Philcos today -- it's one of the highly sought-after brands among old-radio collectors.

...Now all you need is a local AM station playing the good music and dramas! Not impossible....

BB

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
Originally posted by frankiethefixa
Beautiful radio!! I collect the older ones too and this is really sweet. You did get a great deal. If you plug it in and it doesn't nuke you but hums just pull the back and send me the numbers on the tubes and I will send you replacementsif I have them. Hope it works for you.

Thanks Frankie! That is very kind of you.

Wild Root

Gone Home
People still hold on to Philcos today -- it's one of the highly sought-after brands among old-radio collectors.

I like Philco's radios. I have a few of them. I have a 1934 Philco model 60 cathedral, a 1934 model 84 Cathedral, a 1937 model 37-602 and a 1939 Transitone in a bakelite cabinet.

Philco is very collectable! I would say that Zenith and Philco are right on top. Can't forget the big boys like Sparton blue birds, the Fada bullets, and the Addison Catalin radios. Man, radios are so cool and there are so many to collect!

Good job MK, I am happy to hear that your first is a Philco! They are good radios and have a rich history as being one of America’s first choice during the great depression.

Root.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy