Philip Marlowe

Discussion in 'The Moving Picture' started by LuckyLighter, Nov 22, 2004.

1. LuckyLighter

LuckyLighter Familiar Face

All this talking about film noir, The Golden Era, fedoras, etc., jogged my memory and reminded me about a (seemingly) forgotten HBO series from the early Eighties called, "Philip Marlowe, Private Eye," starring Powers Booth. I was a little too young at the time to completely appreciate it for what it was, yet it was really my introduction to the world of hardboiled detectives.

I found a link on IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096677/ if anybody's interested.

But I am curious...does anyone else here remember this series?

2. Marlowe

Marlowe One of the Regulars

I have it on DVD. Got it from Amazon.com, as I recall. It's really good. (And I'm picky.)

Hat and Rehat likes this.
  3. Doctor Damage

Doctor Damage My Mail is Forwarded Here

This series is great and for me at least it captures the whole Marlowe tone and look and seediness, especially in the first season. There's a million snappy one-liners to memorize. Powers Boothe is excellent and he has a great supporting cast. I expect to watch this series every year going forward. Here's a screenshot of his i.d. from season one, episode four.

marlow s1e4.jpg

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    Frunobulax likes this.
  4. Hat and Rehat

Hat and Rehat Call Me a Cab

5. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

I watched a few of these when the series came out here in '85 or '86. I honestly can't remember anything about it.