Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Phillip's Tanning & Clo Co B-3 1938 contract

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here are some pictures of an extremely nice B-3 by the very rare maker Phillip's Tanning and Clothing Co of Newburgh, N.Y. The contract is 38-3640-P and it's a size 40R. The redskin is very strong and there is almost no wear to the jacket at all, apart from a little at the end of the cuffs. The zipper is the hookless variety of Talon and it works smoothly with no loss of teeth. This is not a jacket I intend to wear (apart from to the odd airshow-weather permitting!) although it does fit me being a little bigger than wartime size 40s. It belonged to Dennis Burden (enlisted in 1940), a staff Sergeant who was stationed in the Pacific theatre in the War, working on C-47s. He was with the 13th troop carrier squadron nick named “Thirsty 13”. I don't think he wore the jacket very much at all! I bought it from Burden's son. It has had one light coat of Pecards.

010-9.jpg

011-13.jpg

021-7.jpg

008-11.jpg

020-9.jpg

019-9.jpg

018-8.jpg

016-12.jpg

015-10.jpg

014-11.jpg

Reactions: Dav

rjbaal

New in Town
Wow That jacket looks like a brand new repro (only better)! Pretty amazing for a 60+ year old B-3. Great find-enjoy.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Great getting a look at the 30s type Talon zipper - the repro "Hookless" on my Eastman Werber A-2 is very close if not identical. It gives a very solid feeling when fastened - none of this fraying-at-the-tape nonsense.

Note also the name is "Phillip's" - ie, the name was Phillip. Probably a first name of someone who couldn't use his last name - remembering that the business ran in families.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ