Phillip's Tanning & Clo Co B-3 1938 contract

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by aswatland, Jun 14, 2008.

1. aswatland

aswatland My Mail is Forwarded Here

Here are some pictures of an extremely nice B-3 by the very rare maker Phillip's Tanning and Clothing Co of Newburgh, N.Y. The contract is 38-3640-P and it's a size 40R. The redskin is very strong and there is almost no wear to the jacket at all, apart from a little at the end of the cuffs. The zipper is the hookless variety of Talon and it works smoothly with no loss of teeth. This is not a jacket I intend to wear (apart from to the odd airshow-weather permitting!) although it does fit me being a little bigger than wartime size 40s. It belonged to Dennis Burden (enlisted in 1940), a staff Sergeant who was stationed in the Pacific theatre in the War, working on C-47s. He was with the 13th troop carrier squadron nick named “Thirsty 13”. I don't think he wore the jacket very much at all! I bought it from Burden's son. It has had one light coat of Pecards.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dav likes this.
  2. aswatland

Last two pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. rjbaal

rjbaal New in Town

Wow That jacket looks like a brand new repro (only better)! Pretty amazing for a 60+ year old B-3. Great find-enjoy.

4. aswatland

Thanks. She's in excellent health for a 70 year old!:)

5. ShanghaiJack

ShanghaiJack One of the Regulars

A gorgeous Red-Skin B-3 !!

6. Fletch

Fletch I'll Lock Up

Great getting a look at the 30s type Talon zipper - the repro "Hookless" on my Eastman Werber A-2 is very close if not identical. It gives a very solid feeling when fastened - none of this fraying-at-the-tape nonsense.

Note also the name is "Phillip's" - ie, the name was Phillip. Probably a first name of someone who couldn't use his last name - remembering that the business ran in families.

7. aswatland

Fletch, I was wondering whether there was any connection with Werber Sportswear, who were also based in Newburgh?

8. Fletch

Fletch I'll Lock Up

Don't know. The family connections were usually kept pretty quiet, especially as government contracts were involved.