Phoenix Hat Company

Discussion in 'Hats' started by deadlyhandsome, Apr 1, 2018.

1. manicsubmersion

manicsubmersion New in Town

Crown height is 5 inches in front after the bash and the brim width is approximately 3 inches.

2. humanshoes

humanshoes One Too Many

The hat looks great on you and I'm very happy to see it in the environment it was intended for. You really know how to make a fella homesick for Arizona.

3. Héctor Fernández

Héctor Fernández One Too Many

That's a nice looking hat and a great background.

4. Robieman

Robieman A-List Customer

You will love it! Rick does a great job. I got one and another in queue.
    I find myself wearing it more than my others.

5. Woodtroll

Woodtroll Practically Family

That is a fine-looking hat! It is very similar to the first one Rick made for me, and I have always been extremely pleased with it!

6. manicsubmersion

Yes I admit, I owe the design concept of this hat to you! If you ever make it to New Mexico, I owe you a night on the town!

7. Woodtroll

Woodtroll Practically Family

That's very generous, thank you very much. But Rick deserves the credit - he was the one that took my "wish list" and made it into a fine hat. I sure hope you get as much outdoor enjoyment out of it as I have out of mine. This was the first beaver hat I owned, and it sure does beat wool felt for snow and rain wear!

8. manicsubmersion

PS. I am often in Virginia.

Woodtroll likes this.
  9. J Williams

J Williams Practically Family

I’m just over a month away for a custom Phoenix. Rick is making me a BRE clone. It’s about time for me decide on the felt colour. I want to choose a vintage colour. I’m thinking Bone - Silverbelly - Sand - Black

This is my top inspiration at the moment. Thoughts???
    56ACDA21-493F-4150-8BA4-65764A542E72.jpeg

10. I might have to get in line if it turns out anything like that one (this is the one I saw at a Webb City, MO antique mall). Wish it would have been my size. Love it!

J Williams likes this.

11. Is the felt western weight? My Arizona is a 50/50 western weight felt and it’s seriously stiff. I hope it turns out like your exemplar, that’s some hat!

J Williams and Rmccamey like this.
  12. J Williams

Yes it was such a nice looking one I saved your photo for this purpose!

Yes I was planning on Western weight but pure beaver not the blend. Unless Rick says he can get the 3” after the curl and a 6” crown with a dress weight body.

13. J Williams

Bob since you saw it in person would you say it was Silver belly? Seems like it has a bit of a creamier tone in this photo. I’m wondering what Winchester colour would be the closest match.

14. I'd say it was Silverbelly. Go with the color you like. I'd be seriously tempted to go black.

15. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

Id say that Silverbelly would be a good color to go with. The color is more versatile, imo. Then again, it's hard to nail down Silverbelly these days. I have Silverbelly hats that are different in color from one manufacturer to another. Some look more 'silver', some look more beige.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  16. You carry the 3" brim well. It looks good on you.

17. I'm a stickler for the correct colors on vintage clones too. For that creamer color I would check out Winchester Sahara or Bone in a BRE clone. Moving away from the cream color I would consider Natural & Black. All work good with the BRE. I personally would stay away from SB & Silvermist. Too white,

J Williams likes this.
  18. That looks like a 3-1/8 to 3-1/4 body. You can scale it back a bit for a smaller body/brim.

Photo credit to RLK:
    IMG_4690.JPG

19. Bamaboots

Bamaboots

From the Winchester felt colors I’ve found, I would stay with bone as well if I wanted a creamier color. Natural and black are always a good choice for a BRE clone. I also think their Sahara color resembles some Natural’s I’ve seen.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    J Williams and Hurricane Jack like this.
  20. 1961MJS

1961MJS My Mail is Forwarded Here

Hi, I just bought a Natural from Mike Moore in April 2019, and he said that Natural only comes in 100% Beaver now. Personally I dislike Silver Beaver because it changes color in different light worse than other colors. I have a Silver Mist that is my bad weather hat, it's a John Wayne type. I have several Sahara hats, that I wear regularly. One is all bunny, the other two are full Beaver. Even Western Weight Beaver is softer in my opinion. I have a bone Rough Rider hat, and I love it, but feel I have to be more careful so as to not stain it.

Later

deadlyhandsome and Robieman like this.