Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photo posting problems?

This may not be the right place to ask, but I have not been able to post photos directly from my files for several days. Has there been a change, such that we must go back to posting to an online host first?

I just tried to upload an image directly from my laptop. It embedded it in the post as a clickable attachment, but it did upload it. [huh]

On another forum I frequent that recently upgraded to what appears to be the same software the Fedora Lounge uses, one of the members noticed the software considered a file name to be "invalid" if it contained any capitalized letters, so that might be part of the problem.

Last edited:
Don't think I've made any changes that would have complicated things, as I am too naïve to implement changes! Any moderators or techies have an opinion or suggestions!

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
HrM: What browser do you use - and what platform are you on (Windows or MacOS)? I just tried with Internet Explorer and Firefox under Win7-Pro (almost) without problems. In my Firefox, Flash was not enabled, and the upload-screen "froze". Enabling Flash made it work.

What are the exact symptoms? What happens - and what do not happen? "Can't upload" can mean a lot of different things :)

When I get to the second step, "upload photos" (after 'Browse for photos') the tool appears to upload. The progress indicator fills in completely, from left to right. Then a red X appears at the right end of each photo listing, indicating a failed process. This feature USED to work flawlessly as I am currently configured (windows, Int Expl., etc.) and I have made no changes. Waddyathink?!

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Every time Windows Update auto-updates the operating system on your machine (and I hope it does), things are changed. That said, it can just as well be an update on the server that doesn't work as it should.

Web-development is a rather new area, and unfortunately it has not yet been possible to develop the culture and set of ethics, known from other industries. Most web-software is extremely poorly coded, and vBulletin (the software behind TFL) is no exception ... it's packed with errors!

A quick example: If you choose "Basic Uploader" in the lower right corner of the upload-box on TFL, Explorer stops due to a JavaScript error. So much for "Basic"! If only web-developers knew the most elementary basics of their trade! :(

Try to press the F12-button on your keyboard, while standing in an Internet Explorer window. That will open Explorer's developer tools in the bottom of the window. Click the "Console" tab like on the pic below. Scroll down to the bottom of all errors and warnings - and then try to upload an image. If an error occurs, it will be written to the bottom of the console. If you get one or more errors, I would like you to copy/paste them into a comment, please.

screen_dump_zps8439e8f1.png

NB: You should always use the latest software. Your Explorer should be a Version 10. If it's not, you should update it.

PS: When I whine about incompetent developers, I'm not shooting at the people, administering TFL - but the people who wrote and maintain the vBulletin software :)

PPS: After upload the original screendump was cropped, so I had to use Photobucket. Something's not quite right [huh]

You, Ole, have been busy, THANK you! I'm here on a quick check in, and will need more time to address this matter per your instructions. Should be back approx. 20:00, my time. I really must take back the ability to post from my files... such a time-saver.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana