Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

photographic sizing guide needed

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Today, pondering a brim size of 2 3/8 in a custom hat, less than my usual--seems to me it would be a really good thing if a sticky were made on The Fedora Lounge that takes a standard hat through various variations in dimensions, comprising twenty photos or so. I would like to know what a 2 1/4" brim is like; 2 3/8; 2 1/2; 2 5/8, 2 3/4, 2 7/8, and 3. Also, I 'd like to know what a 4 inch crown is like, 4 1/2, 4 3/4, 5, and so on up to 6.

The hats I already own provide me the majority of these permutations already, but such a thing would be of service to those buying hats off the Internet, or custom-making them. Yes, hats look different on different people--some members here make an Akubra Squatter or a Campdraft appear rather small, whereas they'd be big dimensions on me--but some information easily referred to would be better than none.

The hats would need to be worn by a model person, rather than just hats on a shelf, to provide an idea of the overall effect.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
I'll see what I can do, got some spare time over the weekend (tomorrow). I don't have all the types of hat dimensions you're asking for, though.

When deciding on a hat's dimensions, you have to make the distinction between the variables that are easily identifyable and easy to communicate, and those that are not.
The brim width and the ribbon width, for instance, are easy to communicate, but it already starts getting complicated when talking about crown height; it's a very crude measurement. Without knowing the block shape, crown height in itself doesn't tell you all that much.
Brim flange is another subject. It's very difficult to communicate and yet influences perceived brim width and general proportions to such a large degree.

Last edited:

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Another possible pitfall is the fact that proportions appear very different on different sized hats; e.g. a 2 1/2 brim looks far stingier on a size 7 1/2 hat that on a size 7.

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
Camera lenses and angles can also be deceiving. Many times in photos, a brim looks wider than it is. And sometimes, it can look smaller. Depends on the angle and distance. It's a great idea, though. I've often wanted to see hats with very particular dimensions. Great request!

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Well, I didn't have the time to take any new pictures today, but here are some collages of images from earlier this year. What should be visible in this compilation is the difference between a 2 1/4" brim and a 2 3/8" brim on a 5'8" frame, and the influence of flanging on overall dimensions.

A&A made an important point about the limitations for this task. The pics below were taken from a distance of maybe 10 feet; the pics are cropped.

Body measurements, for reference: 5'8"/ 136 lbs; 37" chest, 29" waist.

Image 1:
Two pics on the right: VS Blue Smoke with 17 ligne black ribbon, 5.5" open crown 2 3/8" brim reduced to 2 1/4" at the front.
Two pics on the left: VS Dove with 19 ligne black ribbon, 5 3/4" open crown 2 3/8" brim all the way around.

2-38brims_frontview.jpg

Full resolution image

Image 2:
VS Mojave w/ 19 L navy, VS Dove w/ 22 L charcoal, VS Powderblue lite w/ 22 L midnightblue, VS Silverbelly w/ 19 L greenish-gray.
All of them are 5.5" x 2 3/8", only the Silverbelly is reduced to 2 1/4" at the brim front. Note that the flanging is slightly different on all hats.

2-38brims_sideview.jpg

Full resolution image

Image 3:
VS Silverbelly lite w/ 22 L black
5.5" x 2 1/4" all the way around.

VS-SilverbellyLITE-w-22black_frenchnavylinen-1.jpg

Full resolution image

Images 4 and 5:
VS Dove with 19 ligne black ribbon
5 3/4" open crown (hat is creased to a deep diamond crown), 2 3/8" brim all the way around.

2012-07-20_VS-Dove-w-19black-1.jpg

Full resolution image

VS-Dove-w-2012-11-16_19black_tweedandflannel_1-1.jpg

Full resolution image

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Rabbit, what shoes are those in your last pic?

Well, it's a local maker... I have a few similar to these. The shoe's tip and heel are polished with darker cream and darker hardwax (sometimes dark brown, sometimes black), the rest is waxed as usual. Below is a picture from the same day as the collage you're referring to.

P1090859.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points