Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pic's of my Grandad and his B-24

Chris217

New in Town
Here are some various pictures of my grandfather, Capt. John F. Rivers, who was a lead Bombardier with the 833rd Bomb Squadron, 486th Bomb Group, 8th Air Force.

Here's his B-24 which was named "Superstitious Aloysius" Sudbury, Suffolk May 1944.
SUPERSTITIOUSALOYSIUS.jpg

Close up of the nose art
SupAl03-1.jpg

SupAl01.jpg

My Grandad in his A-2 jacket.
Rivers01-1.jpg

Picture of his crews quarter's "The Scavenger Club"
Scav02.jpg

The Berry Crew, left to right, Pilot Lt. Ernest P. Berry, Co-pilot Lt. Garland Hendricks (note the cowboy boots) Navigator Lt. Russell Knopp, Bombardier Lt. John F. Rivers.
Rivers3.jpg

FLAK
flak.jpg

Chris217

New in Town
486th B-17's in formation
Forts21.jpg

Bombs Away!
Ludwigshaven.jpg

After he competed his 30 missions he was appointed Assistant Group Bombardier of the 486th and was responsible for training lead bombardiers.
Here's a picture of a bombardier training class at Sudbury.
Unk02.jpg

After a training mission over the "wash" with the Raddatz crew.
Raddatz.jpg

carter

I'll Lock Up
Bomb Squadron

Nice photos! Thanks for posting. I really like the photo of your grandad with his bicycle. Gas rationing kept them fit.

Wouldn't it be great if someone posted a photo of a bunch of USAAF guys in their A-2's riding bicycles?

:cheers1:

dostacos

Practically Family
If your Grandfather is still with us please THANK him for me.

My 17 yr old father was a drill instructor and decided he wanted more involvement. He transfered to a unit that used .22s knives and garrotes, they were scheduled for invading the home islands BEFORE the main invasion.

There mission was such that all their records "disappeared". Had their mission been actually activated he figured that none of them were expected to survive.

my dad never saw combat, trained men that did, but for the dedication of men like your grandfather I would never have been born, or my 3 sons, so thank you for me and my sons.

Dan

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I had a coworker (now retired) who flew B-24's during the war. He said he saw 3 or 4 crews wiped out in training accidents before theye ever left the US. The B-24 was EXTREMELY touchy on take-off, and was a real crew killer. Supposedly out of 18,000 originally produced, only 2 flying today.
Very impressive pics! Thanks for posting.
One of the reasons for our over all air superiority was the we kept or sent the best pilots home to train other pilots. This gave us a better overall competence, compared with the Germans and Japanese, who had a few super pilots, who flew till they died, and a lot of future USAAF and RAF targets.

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
Wonderful pictures all! You are lucky to have colored pictures taken by your Grandfather. I wish my Grandpop had taken some colored pictures.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Really enjoyed looking at those Chris.

What a fine set of pics to remember your grandfather by. Do you have any of his uniform or flying kit?