Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pigeon droppings on felt hats - what to do?

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hello,

Today I got a pigeon dropping on a felt hat. It is already dry. I brushed it, but this did not much improve the situation. Before I try anything rash, I thought it would be a good idea to ask...

Any suggestions as to how to proceed in order to clean it?

Thanks!

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
I haven't experienced this myself, but if it were me I would start with some warm (not hot) water and blotting it on the dropping to moisten it and see if that will help release it from the felt.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Torpedo said:
Hello,

Today I got a pigeon dropping on a felt hat. It is already dry. I brushed it, but this did not much improve the situation. Before I try anything rash, I thought it would be a good idea to ask...

Thanks!

No suggestions on cleaning. One technique is as good as the other in my mind. However, I would like to take this opportunity to have a good laugh at your expense, Torpedo! Good thing you had the lid on lol.

lol lol lol

EVEN-STEVEN

One of the Regulars
"good thing"?!?!?!?!?!?!?

CRH said:
Good thing you had the lid on lol.

lol lol lol

I don't know about you guys, but I'd prefer taking a direct hit to my bald spot over a direct hit to my beloved Borsalino. Let's take a poll!

Luke 42

One of the Regulars
God, I hate pigeons..almost as much as seagulls:rolleyes: Fortunately I only had some near misses, no hit yetlol

I would try warm water to..shouldn't harm the felt and clean pretty good.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
EVEN-STEVEN said:
I don't know about you guys, but I'd prefer taking a direct hit to my bald spot over a direct hit to my beloved Borsalino. Let's take a poll!

I'd rather take one between the eyes. [huh] Hopefully a pro will have some good advice if we keep this toward the top, but alittle humor won't hurt in the meantime. :D

Torpedo

One Too Many
The good humor is well received, gentlemen. The affair merits it. :)

I consider myself fortunate. The incident happened at the zoo - and there are much worse flying beasts around there: seagulls, cranes, and other large birds roam freely, so a mere pigeon dropping is not that bad ;).

Naltak

New in Town
Soon after I got my Adventurebilt, a seagull had the audacity to make a deposit on the ribbon of my favorite fedora. I gently wiped it with warm water, but it didn't help much. There is still a lightly visible mark. Unless someone can come up with a suggestion to clean this year or so old bird stain, I'm just going to look at it as a character mark!

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Naltak, if it was a hat as exquisite as an Adventurebuilt I'd send it to a hatter to get it professionally cleaned.

As for pidgeons, I hate them. When they're in my garden I shout at them until they disappear. I had one spoil the view from my window for a whole week (until it rained). When they're on the roof of the house, dangerously close to the chimney, I have in the past shot at them with a pellet gun, unfortunately only making them turn their head as I was too far away and the bullet lost it's speed. If I ever get a vintage Smith & Wesson, the pidgeons will wish they never set foot on my property.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Going forward -- be sure to remove target from top of hat...:eek: :D

Strat1.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Torpedo, my wife suggests scraping the majority of droppings off with a credit card. Her first thought was to use a clean, dry toothbrush and brush toward the middle of the stain. Try using a vacuum cleaner to suck out as much of the remaining dropping as possible. If that fails, she recommends wetting the area with a spray bottle and sprinkle 20 Mule Team Borax on the stain and allow to dry. The Borax is not a detergeant, but a detergeant booster and has many household purposes. The Borax will soak up the wet and residue. After it's dry, vacuum again. She has done plenty of research over the years on removing stains, but a word of caution, this has not been attempted on a felt hat. Good luck and let us know if you have any success. :)

Fedoraphile

New in Town
That dropping probably has a good dose of ammonia in it, and that can act as a bleach.

I'd try using a very gentle liquid hand soap such as Softsoap, with cool to warm water on it, after scraping it and getting as much of the dust out beforehand.

One thing you didn't mention was the color of the doggone thing... If all else fails, does the color harmonize with your hat?

Dewhurst

Practically Family
When you consider that Pigeon droppings are said to remove paint and clear coat from cars if left for a length of time, I would do what I could to get rid of this quickly.

Have you Yahoo!'d for general information on cleaning pigeon droppings from fabric? Otherwise, call a professional cleaner and ask for any interim advice, or if it needs to be ER'd right away.

Good luck, I've got my fingers crossed for you.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Torpedo said:

Flick, scrape and wipe off with fingernails. Rub in some thick spit. Rub off on pants. Shine with thin spit. That's how the old timers would have done it :eusa_clap.

Go wash your hands.

Let your dog have whatever is left to dissipate the stain ;).

Fedoraphile

New in Town
CRH said:
Flick, scrape and wipe off with fingernails. Rub in some thick spit. Rub off on pants. Shine with thin spit. That's how the old timers would have done it :eusa_clap.

Go wash your hands.

Let your dog have whatever is left to dissipate the stain ;).

And then send it in for a good cleaning....

Chinaski

One Too Many
Removal could portend an ill omen - I recommend leaving the offending matter alone. Remember the old proverb about the foo bird: If the foo sh*ts, wear it.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Chinaski said:
Removal could portend an ill omen - I recommend leaving the offending matter alone. Remember the old proverb about the foo bird: If the foo sh*ts, wear it.

I thought it was an old joke, a play on words...like the beer that made Mel Famee walk us.
:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points