Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pleasantville

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I just love the style of this movie. The feeling mood & especially the clothing. I dig on the whole black & white to color transitions.

pleasantville_01.jpg

tobeydiner.jpg

pleasantville.jpg

fondue_pleasantville_wideweb__430x282.jpg

pleasan2.jpg

pleasan4.jpg

The look of the town is something that I enjoyed viewing, and just wished I could live in a town that looks like that.

Cheers!

Dan

Jay

Practically Family
Ah, Pleasantville. How could I have forgotten about this movie. I totally agree with you. I used to watch it every time it came on. The clothes and overall feel in this movie was great. It really conveyed the 50's TV show theme.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I enjoyed this film for exactly the reason you stated. Well that, and I'm a closet Reese Witherspoon fan.
Thanks for posting these pics. It is a fun film to watch, not the greatest acting, but quite wonderul to the eyes. The actors may not be that great, but they carry themselves in a manner quite well fitting to their surrounding. They just look comfortable, and like they are having a pip of a time. This makes a big difference, and can turn a poorly written or badly acted movie into a better one. Also the clothes are quite cute for the ladies.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I have only seen this movie once, and I still remember it's mark. I always hear folks describe scenes in the film, and I never remember any of them. I do remember how frightened the town became when they started transitioning to color. To me it's an excellent film, even if I don't remember any of it all too well. That's the kind of memory you NEED to have after seeing a movie!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I loved the visual aspects of the movie- especially with the artist- how strong his color was against black and white. I don't neccesarily agree with the idea behind the transition (I think they took the extreme of color=opening of ideas too far) but it was a lovely film visually.

Feraud

Bartender
Daisy Buchanan said:
The actors may not be that great, but they carry themselves in a manner quite well fitting to their surrounding. They just look comfortable, and like they are having a pip of a time. This makes a big difference, and can turn a poorly written or badly acted movie into a better one.
That is a wonderfully perceptive comment Daisy!:eusa_clap I totally agree with that sentiment. Some actors, demonstrating a knowledge of their craft, look comfortable in vintage clothes and surroundings. This adds to my enjoyment of a mediocre film.

Lena_Horne

One of the Regulars
Jay said:
Ah, Pleasantville. How could I have forgotten about this movie. I totally agree with you. I used to watch it every time it came on. The clothes and overall feel in this movie was great. It really conveyed the 50's TV show theme.

I did the same thing and suddenly forgot about it for a long while. Then, I saw it on the other night and couldn't pull myself away. It's much better than I thought it was (back before my vintage transformation) and after a year spent giving the better portion of my attention to classic movies, it was very welcome. I also recognized a lot of subtle things that I would never have noticed in the past. All in all, fantastic movie.

L_H

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I love how everyone looked comfortable in their roll & costume. They look like they belonged.
screens.film.pleasantville.jpg

marley_shelton11.jpg

joan_allen10.jpg

macy1.jpg

tobey1.jpg

reese1.jpg

joanallen1.jpg

It's a shame J.T. Walsh isn't with us any more. He always made a great villan.
walsh1.jpg

Paul Walker before The Fast & the Furious
paul_walker7.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

Even though I had reservations about Pleasentville, I decided to rent this film after reading so many favorable remarks here.

The look of the movie is great. I am not as fond of the fifties as I am the 30's and 40's but the b&w footage is superb. It looks like it was shot back in the day. The wardrobe by Judianna Makovsky is flawless. Unfortunately for the most part is was what I originally suspected.

My problem with the film is the theme and the motivations of the characters. Reese Witherspoon thinks she is in geekville but looks to bed guys for the thrill of it with no regard for the person. With a madonna-esque attitude she is on a one woman crusade to have everyone having sex with whoever....even if you don't have someone to share it with.

Tobey Maguire who supposedly loves this little make believe world ends up derailing it onto a fast track to the sixties....yet has no regrets.

Joan Allen who plays the mom is taught to masterbate by Reese Witherspoon. She goes right out and has an affair with the soda guy. She leaves her husband without really ever trying to make it work.....and NOBODY in the whole film says "hey, what are you doing?" "Are you sure you want to throw your whole marriage away?" "Maybe you should give it another try" She is even painted in the nude on the side of a building for the whole town to see. No shame for her. The film makers actually try to lead us into thinking she is being a free spirit and exploring herself through art.:rolleyes:

I would hope if most people's mom was having that kind of lack of discretion and rationality that someone would intervene.

Those who follow the pied piper turn into color....because they are more "open minded" now. Those who don't are mind numb, close-minded b&w :rolleyes:

It is obvious that between the book burning, ordinances prohibiting music and color that the point of view of the storytellers is that of a child of the sixties who hates the establishment, has contempt for the government and despises the values of the fifties.

They made a statement in a pretty little package with beautiful people. The cute little veneer didn't fool me. This movie is a soapbox for those who are of the school of if-it-feels-good-do-it crowd. Their message is much like the words of Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young:

And if you can't be, with the one you love
Love the one you're with.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Ya call that a plot?

:rolleyes: :eusa_doh:
I have only seen this once about 4 years ago and all I recall is the creative cinemetography. The transition from black and white to color was cool.
I had forgotten about that terrible plot.
The movie was a surealistic visual success, and that makes it worth seeing at least once.

Katydid

One of the Regulars
MK said:
Even though I had reservations about Pleasentville, I decided to rent this film after reading so many favorable remarks here.

The look of the movie is great. I am not as fond of the fifties as I am the 30's and 40's but the b&w footage is superb. It looks like it was shot back in the day. The wardrobe by Judianna Makovsky is flawless. Unfortunately for the most part is was what I originally suspected.

My problem with the film is the theme and the motivations of the characters. Reese Witherspoon thinks she is in geekville but looks to bed guys for the thrill of it with no regard for the person. With a madonna-esque attitude she is on a one woman crusade to have everyone having sex with whoever....even if you don't have someone to share it with.

Tobey Maguire who supposedly loves this little make believe world ends up derailing it onto a fast track to the sixties....yet has no regrets.

Joan Allen who plays the mom is taught to masterbate by Reese Witherspoon. She goes right out and has an affair with the soda guy. She leaves her husband without really ever trying to make it work.....and NOBODY in the whole film says "hey, what are you doing?" "Are you sure you want to throw your whole marriage away?" "Maybe you should give it another try" She is even painted in the nude on the side of a building for the whole town to see. No shame for her. The film makers actually try to lead us into thinking she is being a free spirit and exploring herself through art.:rolleyes:

I would hope if most people's mom was having that kind of lack of discretion and rationality that someone would intervene.

Those who follow the pied piper turn into color....because they are more "open minded" now. Those who don't are mind numb, close-minded b&w :rolleyes:

It is obvious that between the book burning, ordinances prohibiting music and color that the point of view of the storytellers is that of a child of the sixties who hates the establishment, has contempt for the government and despises the values of the fifties.

They made a statement in a pretty little package with beautiful people. The cute little veneer didn't fool me. This movie is a soapbox for those who are of the school of if-it-feels-good-do-it crowd. Their message is much like the words of Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young:

And if you can't be, with the one you love
Love the one you're with.
You took the words right out of my mouth. Visually, enjoyable, plot horrible. Everything you said plus I was annoyed at the lame attempt to throw in the racial issue with the people who were "colored" and those that weren't. I was beginning to think I was the only one who didn't like this movie.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I was keeping out of this so as not to be a downer, but now that MK has done the dirty work I'll add my read.

The film seemed to me to be about how the babyboomers saved us all from a dull, boring boxed-in black and white little life. While I would say that much of the social change through the sixties was for the better (though much of the sartorial change was for the worse), I don't really warm to the sanctimony.

The changes that take place in the film are almost all to do with personal freedom to the point of extreme narcisissm, so it conveniently ignores the real progressive movements in favour of phony self-indulgence, more like the 70s than the early 60s. Any hint of the progressive political movements have to be searched for as they are hidden away so well, as if in embarassment. Race and depictions of race, for example, are hinted at in the change from B/W to colour (rememebr when the "colured people" had to sit in the balcony of the courtroom?), but it isn't dealt with in a way that is substantial or even remotely analogous to the experience of African Americans at that time. The changes in Pleasantville are all self directed and self indulgent. The previously mentioned situation in which Joan Allen masturbates (and a tree bursts into flame!) may want to be about the empowerment of women within a repressed and restrictive society, but seems to be an apt image for the theme of the whole film, the absolute importance of satisfyling your ego/your desires. It appears to be accidental that the filmakers demontrate cosnequences (in the form of the flaming tree that needs to be put out by ill prepared firemen) because otherwise the film is not in the least ambiguous, doesn't allow for any reconsideration or, ironically, for any dissent. The changes, it says, are (were) for the better. Period.

I'm looking at it from a different political point of view than MK, ;) but I dislike it just as much and for almost the same reasons. It reminds me of the self-satisfied tone of the Big Chill.

Other than that, the B/W parts do look great. :)

Edited to say: I know I know, why can't I just relax and be entertained. My wife says the same thing. Maybe it was those cosmic rays I was bathed in at birth. :eek:

skillbilly

One of the Regulars
I personally enjoyed the movie and watch it every time its on. Sometimes it ok to have something simply be entertaining without there having to be some alterior motive.

Perhaps my view is overly simplistic, but I looked at the movie from the vantage of people learning to think and fend for themselves. Finding what's right for them in their lives and not just keeping step with everyone else.

It seemed to me more an issue of personal growth than throwing conventions of society to the wind.

Besides it was just so prettylol

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

jake_fink said:
I'm looking at it from a different political point of view than MK, ;) but I dislike it just as much and for almost the same reasons. It reminds me of the self-satisfied tone of the Big Chill.

My take on this on comes from a political, moral, ethical, spiritual and cinematic view. ;)

I totally agree on The Big Chill. Everyone raved what a great movie it was and I think it is a well acted and writen, depraved film. That is a great comparision Jake.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

skillbilly said:
Perhaps my view is overly simplistic, but I looked at the movie from the vantage of people learning to think and fend for themselves. Finding what's right for them in their lives and not just keeping step with everyone else.

It seemed to me more an issue of personal growth than throwing conventions of society to the wind.

Let my clarify my position:

The learning to think for themselves story point is a good one. If that were the story being told than it would have been great. My problem is that the film makers were saying that the 50's desire to be moral was bad and close minded and that self-indulgence was the door to personal growth....a very 60's attitude.

In my experience it is having the ability to do something yet chosing to not indulge is what builds character. The tough decisions we have to make in life are the opportunites for personal growth.

Maybe if I could do what Jake's wife suggests and just be entertained, I might have enjoyed it.....but the message is too hard for me to ignore.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
The plot was a bit iffy, which I know I did a bad job warning you about since everyone was raving about it. I took it as everyone in black and white lived in this leave it to beaver type of world that was just not reality. It was when they realized this they turned into color. Like every film it seems, they have to take things to extreme. There were for sure some parts I was very uncomfortable with, such as the mom masturbating and the nude painting, really could have done without that :rolleyes:

The_Edge

One of the Regulars
I pretty much agree with MK's take on the film. The liberal commentary through out is just too much for me to ignore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko