Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please advise newbie about Cooper A2 fit/size

Bammerman

New in Town
First of all, I'm really happy to have found this forum, totally by accident, as I've had a "thing" about fedoras and leather jackets for years and I never realized there were others around with similar sartorial interests.

Here's my situation: I used to have a nice beat-up old Avirex A2-type jacket that I bought at a church thrift shop in Hong Kong. It was great, although now I realize it was somewhat too big for me. Finally the zipper started to fail, and I took it to my neighborhood shoe repair guy to try to fix. Guess what - he lost the jacket! He paid for a new jacket for me, and I bought a very nice leather coat - but what I got is really just a winter-weather garment (quilted lining, detachable mouton). I'd like a summer-wear leather jacket, and a used one, partly so I won't have to worry too much about it getting dings and scuffs (as I do with a brand-new jacket). And this one I'd like to be a U.S.-made garment. I've been looking at two (used) Cooper A2 goatskin jackets at auction: one's a 40R and the other's a 42R. I can't try them on and I can't decide which to buy! I wear a 39R or 40R suit jacket, a size 16.5" x 33" shirt, and am 5'8" tall, 170 lbs. I'd like to go for the 42 because it would be a better deal, but I want a good fit - comfortable, but not too big. I don't plan to wear a sweater underneath it. I like the look of the Cooper jacket and from what I've read on this forum, they are a good value for money. I called up the Cooper place and the girl on the phone said I'd wear a 40. I'd be grateful for any informed opinions from this forum - mainly about the size and fit issue, but also about the quality. And how much should one expect to pay these days at auction for a very good condition Cooper goatskin "milspec" A2? Thanks for your advice, and I look forward to participating on the forum (here, and under fedoras).

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Whoaaa,......

.....hey now. That there is a tough question to answer at best. Everybody of course has their own personal proportions, and also their own personal tastes and opinions as to how all the differant manufacturer's jackets are cut and how they fit. Prepare to get an earful! :rolleyes:
But since I am in a position to offer my input as I happen to own a Cooper jacket (Tomahawk model) I would say go with your usual size, the 40. I wear a 44 and my Cooper fits well, not too snug and not too loose, and also not too short. As to price for a good used one? I would say around 100 smackers is about the going rate, maybe even a little less, depends on a host of variables you know. They are a good value, but for a little more cash outlay, you could get a nice horsehide A2 from one of the other U.S. manufacturers such as Flight Suits or U.S. Authentic. Size 40 being a fairly common size, you should be able to find a good deal on one. Good hunting. :cheers1:
P.S. For virtualy everything you ever wanted to know about A2 jackets and more, go to this link right here in the lounge. Paddy is an absolute expert on the subject. http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=4395

Bammerman

New in Town
Thanks, Major Danger!

...especially for that link to all those sources and websites. I'll take a look at them. Maybe I'll save that for Saturday, since Mr. Weatherman says we're heading for a major snow then.
But let me ask you this about the horsehide jacket: What's the advantage? Is it really supposed to be longer-wearing than the goatskin? Or is there something else? Thanks.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
The horsehide thing is that it's the *originally* spec'ed material for A-2s, and most of the originals of the 30s/40s were made of it. It's also a very unusual material for a jacket now (though it was ubiquitous back in 20s-40s when cars and tractors were taking over for horses), and it feels/wears very differently from cowhide, goatskin, etc.

Technically, I believe that goatskin - despite its lighter weight - is a tougher, better-wearing leather than horsehide, and it doesn't wrinkle or crease nearly as much. Goatskin is some tough stuff.

If you're interested in A-2s, sooner or later you'll want to experience a horsehide jacket. But there's *nothing* wrong with goatskin either. (I have one of each.)

green papaya

One Too Many
I highly recommend you buy a size 42R or 44R

because my chest is 39 - 40 and a Coper sz 42 regular is too small
it feels restrictive when I drive a car or try to move around, I wear a t-shirt and it still fits on the small side

Im very close to your size

Im 5 ft 8" and weigh 179

my Cooper is a size 44R

IM001002.jpg

here's mine, been wearing it for 15 years and it still looks good

I sold my size 42 because it didnt fit comfortable

I think the sz 40 will be too small on you

Rinterstate

New in Town
If it's not to late I recommend the 42. I have a Horsehide Cooper A2 size 40that I out grew in the belly. I bought it from US Wings. I went to the Pilot Shop and got it. Sarge suggested a 42 for me but he was out of that size. My goal was lose a few more lbs. and Sarge said if that was my plan then the 40 would be fine and with the military look of being snug. Well that didnt happen as expected and I was able to wear the coat for a couple years, but sadly it's sitting in the closet. I'm 5'8' and at the time I was 180. Hope this helps with your decision.

Bammerman

New in Town
Rinterstate, wanna sell it?

If it's just sitting in your closet, you might want to sell it, and I'm in the market. If interested, we should take this offline; email me at bammerman@rocketmail.com. In any case, thank you for your reply and your advice. I am still undecided about size. I've been 170 lbs for many years and I doubt I will change much in the future, so a 40 might be okay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ