Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please critique my Aero Long Halfbelt order!

Seawolf

Familiar Face
Hey folks!

Would you mind critiquing my order please? I've been carefully piecing my order together over the past few weeks, and here's what I've come up with:

Long Halfbelt in Brown Heavy FQHH
size 40" with an inch added to length and sleeves
2 vertical inside pockets on facing with snaps, one horizontal pocket inside left side (so I can reach in with my right hand) with a snap closure.
plain back
leather facing inside cuffs
no storm cuffs
2" leather facing on lower interior
Inner pocket with name and blood type under horizontal pocket
olive drab gabardine lining, body and sleeves
handwarmer and flap pockets lined with brown cord, all others lined with cotton drill
"antique" brass Aero zippers, ball and chain for chest pocket
Smaller turnings around the seams to give a bit more room for a sweater

I've gone back and forth about adding Alpaca under the Gabardine, but I'd really like this jacket to be as versatile as possible. I can always add a layer if I'm cold, but I can't remove Alpaca from the jacket if I'm hot!

This is my first order from Aero, and I've learned so much from all of you about these jackets. Those of you that have lots of experience ordering from Aero, would you change anything about your current jackets, or suggest I change anything about mine?

I'm ordering directly from Aero, and I've spoken with Amanda about some of my concerns, but I value all of your opinions as well!

Also, I got some samples from Amanda, and the Brown FQHH is much lighter than some of the pictures I've seen of yours, so I've requested the darkest Brown FQHH hides possible.

Lear

One of the Regulars
I'll always go with olive gabardine throughout body and sleeves. It's hard wearing and goes with every colour of horsehide.

Lear

Seawolf

Familiar Face
Does anybody have an opinion on a map style pocket in the gabardine lining? I would like one, but I' concerned about sagging and damage to the lining. From what I understand, the gabardine is tough, so I'm not sure what to think.

Dav

One Too Many
Can't help much as I haven't heard of anybody putting two inside pockets on the same side, normally it's one or the other, facing or lining. To have both would add alot of extra leather and pocket material in the same area wouldn't it?
I don't have anything with gabardine so can't comment on that I'm afraid.

Last edited:

Doublegun

Practically Family
As for the lining, stick with gabardine only. I had a wool lining that was just too warm in the spring and early fall. I sent my LHB back and Aero did the republic. You are rifhr, it is easier to throw another layer on under the jacket when it is cold.

As for the pockets, unless you plan on carrying a gun I would pass on the vertical pockets. I have then and the only thing that I use the left one for is to carry a handgun. A map pocket would be nice and probably what I would order were I to do it over.

Something to think about: these jackets are incredibly heavy and incredibly stiff and the more leather and corduroy you add, the heavier and stiffer it is going to be. I've been wearing my LHB for 18 months on a daily basis when weather permits and it is still pretty stiff. Just something to think about.

HighandDry

A-List Customer
I agree with Doublegun, 3 pockets is overkill. You don't think that adding a pocket is going to do anything to the drape or weight, but each pocket affects it. I would go with one vertical or one map pocket.

Also, pass on the Alpaca under gabardine. It's just going to make it bulkier. I have one Aero with Alpaca and one with cotton drill and I much prefer the cotton. The Alpaca is a little itchy and sometimes too warm. For the pockets, the cord is nice, but I prefer the flannel- lighter and not as bulky. In one of my Langlitz, I have leather pockets. Seemed nice in the beginning, but just too stiff and bulky for pockets. Though, it will probably be nice in 10 years!

Personally, I would pass on the blood type. Seems a little morbid to me ;)

Seawolf

Familiar Face
Thank you. This is exactly the sort of information I was looking for. It's hard to buy something sight unseen, and be totally happy with the results. I love that all of this combined experience with these jackets that you all have will ultimately make my jacket that much better. Your advice makes a lot of sense!!

I think I'll skip the gun pocket on the left side, and I'm still on the fence about the gun pocket on the right side.

As for the blood type, I guess it's a little morbid, but I'm going to stick with it! I'm type O negative (the universal donor), and that means I can give blood to anyone, but can only receive O-. Should something ever happen to me, it's critical to determine my blood type as quickly as possible and locate some of this very rare blood!

I'm going to stick with the gabardine lining only. All of what you said makes sense. I was going back and forth about a few things, like leather color, storm cuffs, tartan lining, etc., and I realized I was trying too hard to cram all of these features into one jacket. The key here, for me, is to build the above jacket, and also build another. One for winter!

I was thinking a LHB in Cordovan FQHH, brass hardware, storm cuffs, Grant or Stewart tartan over alpaca, gabardine sleeve lining, and maybe moleskin pockets.

Doublegun

Practically Family
Owing two FQHH jackets means it is going to take twice as long to break in each one of them. Obviously it is your money but you might want to order one, wear it, then think about the changes you would make on a second jacket.

JanSolo

Practically Family
Is your jacket going to be based on the 1950s HB or are you going for a Long Slim Fit HB (Like Gancho's/Olli's)? What are your measurements?
Corduroy is good for all pocket bags that are used as handwarmer pockets. For all other pockets I would stick with hard wearing cotton drill or brown moleskin. Also I would drop the idea of horizontal pockets. Those will ultimately start to sag. Go for vertical pockets in the facing instead. They look much neater and are easier to access when the jacket is only partially unzipped.

As for olive Gabardine: I talked to Will the other day and he wished I'd never asked for the B10-Gabardine as a lining. That was two years ago and has started some sort of trend here on the forum. Now stock is almost depleted and Aero will sooner or later be discontinuing the B10. And that marvellous stuff won't be available anymore... I don't know how much is still left but it won't last long! You better hurry up!

I have to agree with Doublegun! Wait for your first jacket to arrive. Wear it and evaluate it carefully. I guarantee your next jacket will be a different style! Good luck!

Last edited:

Gancho

One of the Regulars
Hi Seawolf,

I agree with jan. Go for the inside pockets in the facing. Ask them to make these pockets not so deep. Otherwise you will have 3 pockets that lie on top of each other.

If you ogle with the 30´s pattern than consider that the jacket will be snug fitting. You will sense everything what is in each pocket!

Here you can see a LHB 30´s pattern in action:

5444917631_70e4699179_z.jpg

Cheers

Olli

Last edited:

Seawolf

Familiar Face
I have no intentions of buying two jackets at the same time!!

I will say though that I'm sort of confused. What are the differences between the 30's and 50's LHB patterns?

Gancho

One of the Regulars
Seawolf,

see the pictures of Andy´s LHB 50´s:

IMG00004.jpg

IMG00001.jpg

And see my LHB 30´s:

5376172187_770738b469_z.jpg

5376773382_4e1021e37a_z.jpg

I hope the pictures show the difference of the pattern. My one has in addition slim down sleeves. It depense on your frame. The 30´s pattern is only wearable when you are slender.

Hope that helps

Olli

Last edited:

Seawolf

Familiar Face
Gancho,

Thanks for the pictures for reference. Do you happen to have a picture of the 30's HB zipped? Is that a standard jacket or did you modify the regular halfbelt by lengthening the back to match the front?

Jan,

When I ordered, I didn't specify 30's or 50's Long Halfbelt. Which cut will I get? If I understand you correctly, and based on the pictures I've looked at (before Gancho posted his pictures), the 30's style is as you described, with the longer front, and shorter back. I looked at Mark's picturetrail, and

I am pretty slim I suppose (6' 1", 185 lbs), but I hadn't really thought about a slimmer cut. I just assumed that the size 40 I'm getting will be pretty slim just because it's a 40.

Thanks for all of your help gentlemen. It's great to be able to talk to people with lots of experience with these jackets, and for that I'm grateful.

Last edited:

Seawolf

Familiar Face
Jan,

I forgot to add, I placed my order 3 weeks ago, and Amanda didn't mention anything about gaberdine being an issue, so I should be ok. Glad I got my order placed when I did! You really started something!

JanSolo

Practically Family
Well, there's the 50s, 30s and the Long HB. The LHB ist based on the slightly roomier 50s cut. If you want a Long 30sHB you will have to specify that. But there's still plenty of time to change your order.

For comparison a 30s HB (mine) with even front and back, size 40, 1.5 inches added to overall length:

4976020651_572390c065_z.jpg

4976020653_99565d0499_z.jpg

The difference between Andy's beautiful 50s Deluxe HB and mine is mainly determined by pocket and cuff details and only to lesser percentage by a slimmer pattern, although the difference is there.

Gancho

One of the Regulars
Seawolf,

sorry but I did not know how many inches are added to the body and to the sleeves. In 2009 I visited AERO and Will took my measurement. So I only specify the jacket, but not the size. I specially asked for the 30´s pattern, because I love trim jackets. If you also prefer a trim jacket go for the 30´s pattern. My one is alpaca linned with garbadine overlay, with the slim down sleeves there is no room for a thick sweater or a pullover.

At the moment I only got zipped pictures while riding my new bike :rolleyes::D

5448079996_b8a94d1be1_z.jpg

5447475369_22d813b109_z.jpg

Zipped it fit´s like Jan´s jacket.

Here are pics of the jacket when it arrives. The color is not so true, it is much darker, like on the bike pictures. The jacket has a different pocket and back specification than the "normal" LHB.

5447475583_c00020da06_z.jpg

5447475725_3ddb151d8c_z.jpg

Regards

Olli

Seawolf

Familiar Face
Gancho,

Is that a smaller version of the bi-swing back? If so, that's the most attractive version of the bi-swing that I've seen. What do you call that back pattern?

The 30's cut looks great on both of you, but for my first jacket, I'm going to stick with the 50's. I'll tell you what though, after seeing Gancho in the 30's Long Halfbelt, I will certainly consider that pattern for my next jacket.

Thank you both for posting pictures It was really helpful.

Gancho

One of the Regulars
Seawolf,

jepp, that is the smaller bi-swing back. works perfect and looks not so bulky. ask for a biker´s back like on the route 66.

so long

olli

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff