Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

please help find this hat ... or at least what it is

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Hi everyone
my name is Anthony and I believe I have finally come to the right place.

.... you see I have been looking for this specific hat for..... well... what will be 20 years in a few months sadly enough

I have done some research in that time and from what I gather it could be a Stetson ?... or possibly a Dobbs? ....

I am really hoping that someone here can help me out and tell what what this hat is and maybe where I can find one

it is a hat that Shannon Hoon wore in the mid 1990s .... particularly in 1995 right before his untimely death

it is a bit hard to find clear pictures of it from the side .... but the band is made up of small ropes

below I'll link first a video where he wears it for the entire song..... followed by some pics of the hat

I really hope someone can help.... thanks so much in advance

[video=youtube;-OMvnNmjbTg]
10ofj82.jpg

zuky6a.jpg

2w7qxzs.jpg

thank you so much for any possible info

Anthony

Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
thanks for the suggestions everyone

wow bart... that really does look very close

I was able to reach a family member of Shannons recently who said they believe it is a Dobbs hat that he bought in a thrift shop in New Orleans

she said that it says nothing in side and that the lining was ripped out but you could see that it used to say New York on the band

thank you everyone and keep 'em coming

you guys are the best

Paul Trumbull

Familiar Face
Happy Friday fellas, I am looking for a smaller brimmed high quality silverbelly fur felt fedora. Anyone know why these are so hard to find? I wish Akubra would make either their "Fedora" or their "Hampton" in the silverbelly. Alas, they don't. Someone on this forum recommended the Akubra to me and I remember he said, "you won't be disappointed". How spot on he was. These are so nice. I just have their Fedora, but I am spoiled now and want something at least this nice. Any recommendations?

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Happy Friday fellas, I am looking for a smaller brimmed high quality silverbelly fur felt fedora. Anyone know why these are so hard to find? I wish Akubra would make either their "Fedora" or their "Hampton" in the silverbelly. Alas, they don't. Someone on this forum recommended the Akubra to me and I remember he said, "you won't be disappointed". How spot on he was. These are so nice. I just have their Fedora, but I am spoiled now and want something at least this nice. Any recommendations?
Hello, Paul,

If you don't mind vintage and are a size 7, I have a nice Champ in silverbelly with a 2" brim.

And here I just unloaded a vintage Sears "Chief of State" OR clone in silverbelly with a 2 1/8" brim...

What size are you and what do you consider small brim? The Fedora has a 2 1/2" brim which most wouldn't consider "small" (sit down, Joao!).

Also, as you are in Detroit, you could go check out Henry the Hatter and see if he can hook you up.

Paul Trumbull

Familiar Face
And here I just unloaded a vintage Sears "Chief of State" OR clone in silverbelly with a 2 1/8" brim...

What size are you and what do you consider small brim? The Fedora has a 2 1/2" brim which most wouldn't consider "small" (sit down, Joao!).

Also, as you are in Detroit, you could go check out Henry the Hatter and see if he can hook you up.

Thank you! I bought my very first fedora from Henry The Hatter back in 1998. At the time the service was good, but now when I stop in I feel like I've done something wrong when I walk in. And the store is SO small, it's hard to browse without feeling that I am being watched. I guess I am looking for a 2 1/4 brim...which is very hard.

Kirk H.

One Too Many
cordobaSilBel_a0917b3b-2ca8-484e-af76-a7b2ddea8c5d_1024x1024.jpg

JJ Hat Center has this in Silver Belly. this is their description.."The Cordoba is a fresh, yet classic style made in Spain, exclusively for JJ Hat Center. With a 2" brim and a welted edge, this new fur felt is a perfect style for fall. Gorgeous, rich colors in the timeless style that JJ Hat Center is known for."
I have the Akubra Hampton in Fawn, it is a great hat, and like you I wish it came in Silver Belly. Good luck on your search and keep us posted.

Regards
Kirk

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Be careful using the term silverbelly when describing a hat color when not referring to a particular brand. Akubra, Beaver Brand and Stetson have widely varied versions of colors under this same name. They actually range from sand/tan to bone/white.

Please use a different method of describing the desired color so that you get what you want.

Been there.

Also - have you considered custom? We have a good group of custom hatters here.

Fed

andrew_AU

A-List Customer
What do you regard as smaller brimmed?

Akubra make the Campdraft in silverbelly

Camp_Draft00561.jpg

It's a great looking hat. I wear mine often

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Guys, I have and love a Campdraft myself... but there's nothing "smaller brimmed" about it.

Maybe in some parts of the country 2-7/8" is considered small, but not in NY. And probably not in Detroit either. I mean, the OP is looking for something smaller than his Akubra Fedora, which is 2-1/2".

I know the Campdraft is the perfect default response to many questions here. But not this one.

Here's a thought: since Akubra is on a three-month production cycle for most of their colors and styles, try contacting Everything Australian or Hats Direct and ASKING if they can special-order you a Hampton or Fedora/Sydney in Sand/Silverbelly. It doesn't strike me as a difficult request... they're really just taking a felt body intended for a Campdraft or other country/western hat, cutting down the brim, and blocking and finishing it differently. They may be perfectly willing to do it. Worth sending an email to find out, anyway.

andrew_AU

A-List Customer
Guys, I have and love a Campdraft myself... but there's nothing "smaller brimmed" about it.

Maybe in some parts of the country 2-7/8" is considered small, but not in NY. And probably not in Detroit either. I mean, the OP is looking for something smaller than his Akubra Fedora, which is 2-1/2".

I know the Campdraft is the perfect default response to many questions here. But not this one.

Here's a thought: since Akubra is on a three-month production cycle for most of their colors and styles, try contacting Everything Australian or Hats Direct and ASKING if they can special-order you a Hampton or Fedora/Sydney in Sand/Silverbelly. It doesn't strike me as a difficult request... they're really just taking a felt body intended for a Campdraft or other country/western hat, cutting down the brim, and blocking and finishing it differently. They may be perfectly willing to do it. Worth sending an email to find out, anyway.
I have tried that before without success. Akubra seem to be very rigid with what colours are used for various models, unless you are willing to order a job lot (22 hats from memory). Some stores can get custom colours, but only when they make a decent size order. A group order with members here might be an option - it's been done before.

If the only thing you don't like about the CD is the brim width you could always trim the brim (or have a local hatter do it for you) and have it re-bound.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Funny to see this thread pop up after a couple years... I was looking for a hat like Shannons to wear to a vigil
I've since become friendly with his mom and had the opportunity to hold the actual hat in the pics of him next to the one I found .
It was pretty identical aside from his being far more beat up and having no liner.
Huge Shannon Hoon fan
Here's the hat I ended up getting... haven't pulled this thing out in quite some time
980b4ae576120f88438dd866115b0587.jpg

ec2553747a5413c508510163ecfde63f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto